3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broad head mania  (Read 854 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broad head mania
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I prefer heavier heads and the Ace Express 165 has been on my favorites list for many years.  Sharpens beautifully, tough, great width and length, very reasonable price and great value; they have never let me down and I have complete confidence in them.  I've moved up to 200 gr heads and am shooting Grizzly Kodiaks and Instincts these days.

Perfect arrow flight is very important.  If lighter heads work better for you, Zwickey Deltas or Ace Standards are excellent.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline D.Ellis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
I'm partial to the eclipse 145 2 blade.......like the old journeyman head.
Darcy
60# GN Lil'Creep Jackknife
67# osage selfbow
62# "Zang Hill" string follow

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 02:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
True, wait no False.....

any head thats been on the market for more than a decade managed to do so because they work.  For deer save your money and buy some of the 25-35 bucks for 6 kind.
Ditto.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 02:24:00 AM »
Well....

You read much over and over..lol

What weight of head do you need?

Just about any head will do.
I like to stay with solid heads, as opposed to the ones with separate blades that insert into the ferrule.

Once you determine the weight you need, buy the ones with the type of blade you can sharpen the best.... single bevel, double bevel, 3 blade..etc
I prefer to use a head that is the correct weight right out of the package rather than have to use weights/inserts etc.

I find 3 blades the easiest as they have a built in angle guide.

The other easiest method is to get a double bevel head and pick up an "Accusharp" for about $10.

...but your sharpening skills might be awesome and you could sharpen anything with ease.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
If you want to test a bunch of broadheads take a look at all of these on The St Jude auction.

http://auction1.tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=207;t=000101

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Magnus are great and have a warranty. Priced right and sharpen well. I went the cool,fancey, expensive route but ended up with maugnus 1 love them.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
Been using the old Bear greenies. Have had good luck with them but picked up some Zwickeys as they looked good and you can't beat the price. Will give them a try this fall. Reallly can't wrap my head around paying $45 to $50 for three of the "broadhead of the week".
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
I've been playing around with broadheads a lot recently and have been thinking there really isn't much you can't get done with the cheap MA3 and Zwickey Delta/Eskimo

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Can't beat a Magnus Stinger for the price and warranty.
T ZZZZ

Offline ZSL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
I'll add my 2 cents worth... use a head that flies as close as possible to the field points that you practice with (sampe point of impact at same distances). I used a new point weight combo last season and was quite pleased... the 225 grain single bevel steel force. Quickly dispatched a bull elk on a quartering to me shot, 40 yards, and breaking a rib on the way in...#53 recurve. This was a head that I had previously pulled out of the dirt and rocks after a poor shot.  a couple minutes with a flat file and a butchers steel and it was shaving sharp again.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
There are so many on the market its crazy.the 3 blade 3 rivers sells looks[ike a snuffer only a little longer. Same with the grizzly lookalikes out there.The 6 0f a kind for 25 bucks makes perfect sense money left over for beer.lol
Arrow_Flynn

Offline bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 09:05:00 AM »
Zwickeys and Ace for great easy to sharpen tough heads that won't leave you broke.
Revelation 3:20

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Magus Stinger 150 nuff said

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Zwickey or you could try zwickey and my third choice would be I guess zwickey.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Producer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Bretto, was nice enough to send me some samples of broadheads that he uses and I can't say enough about how nice a jesture that was. The thing that suprised me the most was the 122.9Gr Snuffer three blade. I never had an arrow fly so true. My Eskimos were surpased for arrow flight but in fairness the Eskimos are for my 57lb longbow and the Snuffers where flying out of one of my recurves. It could just be that the bow, arrow and head just come together perfectly. Now I will have to learn how to sharpen them before I commit to buying them. Back to Bretto; the thing I love the best about this site is the people. Trad people as a whole,are the best people on earth.
What gives me wings? Flying with my arrows over and over again. And never giving up...For giving up means not believing...

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2015, 03:39:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Producer:
Looking at all the broadheads on the market is exhausting. The reviews are confusing with one guy saying they are too hard to sharpen and the next guy talks about how easy they are to sharpen while another talks about how noisy they are and the next how quite. Should I spend $16.95 for them or over $100. I trust that someone here has the answer to what to use for a longbow for deer size game.
I think most of these comments can be found on most forum sites when a BH discussion  comes up.

I do like Stingers and VPA's.  That being said I have never used a Zwickey to kill a deer but plan on picking up a pack in 150 grain for this season.   Just doesn't seem right shooting traditional gear and not ever using one.
T ZZZZ

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
Try different things until you find something YOU like! The reason there are a 1000 different broadheads out there is because there 1000's of different guys out there who all like different things.

After lots of years, and playing with many different heads, I settled on German Kinetic as my goto head. Some will say I am nuts for spending that much money on broadheads, but I say I know how well they work, and how well I can sharpen them, and I have complete confidence in them.

Confidence is the key to success!

Bisch

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrow30:
.............(zwickey)....................!
 save your money,..........dont waste it on over priced broadheads!
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline pbr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
German Kenetics

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©