3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Over 20 Years of Bowhunting and I've Never Tried One! Video pg. 3 Update pg. 4  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Until this year...

Over the years, I've primarily hunted with either a three or four blade broadhead. I tried a double bevel two blade for a year, but eventually went back to a four blade.

After talking to a few highly respected bowhunters, I decided to give the single bevel a try. It's the only "type" of broadhead that I've never hunted with.

Because of the high humidity and salt air, I bought a single bevel that had an aluminum ferrule and stainless blade. Although I harvested a few animals with them this year, the blade didn't hold up as I expected.

That prompted me to look for something a little more durable. After talking to a few guys, I decided to place an order for the 200gr Cutthroats.

So far so good. They fly well, are quiet in flight and definitely easy to sharpen with the use of my KME.

I've only taken one small billy, so I can't make a decision yet on it 's durability. I do know that I'll be spending more time with it in the hills. If I can gather additional "field data", I'll be sure to write up a review on these new Cutthroats.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Here are the first few single bevel harvests with the stainless/aluminum broadhead. Unfortunately after only three animals, the tip became deformed and the edge of the blade warped. It seemed as if the twisting of the broadhead into the hard bone caused the damage to the edge of the blade. It could've been a fluke but I had a couple other issues, so I moved on to the Cutthroats.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My Cutthroats and KME. I also need to thank Ron again for walking me through the sharpening process! He's the best!!!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My first harvest with the Cutthroats. Quartering away, pass through and split a branch behind the billy. The broadhead just needed a slight touch up with the KME. As of now, my only concern is rust. We'll see what happens.

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
:thumbsup:  

Always good info Ryan!  I've been looking at the Cutthraoats as well!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
Just ordered 6 from RMSG.  Should be real killers with a 100 grain insert!!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awesome Bob!

That's exactly what I'm running right now. 300grs upfront!    :thumbsup:  

The Guys at RMSG are awesome people, I'm glad that Randy told me about them!

Plus the Cutthroats have an unconditional lifetime guarantee! Can't beat that!

Aloha!

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Ryan I know this is off topic but what bow are you shooting in that last picture?
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Jason, that's my Thunderhorn 3pc longbow. I switched bows because the limbs on the hoyt started to splinter.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
I just bought six more the other day for me and the wife to elk hunt with this year! Had real good performance with them on my deer I took last fall!!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I've got a half dozen mounted on Abowyer 35 gr titanium adapters. No chance to run one through a spring bear yet but they fly like darts and also super easy to sharpen
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Make sure you send Tommy those hero pictures for their site!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Great broadhaed info, and that is a beautiful bow!   :shaka:

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Big fan of the cut throat construction and durability. I have shot them into everything but an animal.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
Great info! Nice goats
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
Don't know anything about that broad head, looks good.  My first Longbow was a Thunderhorn Heartstopper though and I loved that bow.  Wish I had never got rid of it.  I would love to have a three piece like that one.
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by old_goat2:
Make sure you send Tommy those hero pictures for their site!
Thank you for the info on the broadheads! Image sent to Tommy.
Aloha!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by KYArcher:
Great broadhaed info, and that is a beautiful bow!    :shaka:  
Thank you!
Hopefully this works out and I'll be able to provide additional info!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by FerretWYO:
Big fan of the cut throat construction and durability. I have shot them into everything but an animal.
They definitely seem tough! I need more time with them to tell... Thanks again for telling me about RMS Gear. They are "The Real Deal"!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by DiamondD:
Don't know anything about that broad head, looks good.  My first Longbow was a Thunderhorn Heartstopper though and I loved that bow.  Wish I had never got rid of it.  I would love to have a three piece like that one.
I'll always be a FAN of Thunderhorn Mfg!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©