3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade tree stands??  (Read 709 times)

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade tree stands??
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I was wondering if anybody builds their own tree stands. Not ladder type tree stands. The kind where you stick a few boards up in a tree with a few steps screwed to a tree type stands. I've built a few and I'm trying to come up with some ideas to build a bigger more stable platform on a single tree. Not 2 or 3 trees growing close together, but on just 1 tree.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade tree stands??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Buy a quality climber and a full body safety harness and fall arrest system.  Don't tempt fate, cause possible bodily injury, and family grief by fooling with  2 x 4's and plywood.  Not worth it in my opinion.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Online shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Depending on how high you need it to be, you could sink 4x4's into the ground and build off of those and the tree. OR, we have also used 4x4's or 2x6's coming down into the tree at a 45 degree angle off the platform's frame work. All kinds of possibilities.

We built a huge boxed in stand, 31 feet to the bottom of it, in a big hickory...windows, doors, roof, the whole nine yards. The next year a storm came through and absolutely wrecked the tree, stand and all. We spent 4 weekends in 100 degree July heat, hanging in the tree like monkeys to build that damn thing...just to have it wrecked in the end. I vowed NEVER again. Now I hunt out of store bought lock-on's, ladder stands, climbers, or ground blinds.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Not anymore for me.  I love woodworking and the natural feel of wood products.  But not in my treestands.  Wood rots, has hidden defects, weak grain, etc.  Screws and nails rust.  The tree you are screwing it into can have hidden problems.

For me, a good quality metal stand is the only thing I will trust my life to when my feet leave the ground.  Even then, I am very particular on which stands I will trust.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Nailin' boards up in a tree sounds like a good way to get yourself killed.  I do still have and use some of the old, over engineered, home made steel stands my Dad made back in the 1970's, but he was a tool and die maker and a welder, so they are safer than you could buy.

Nowadays I'd wager you couldn't buy the metal to build one for what you can buy a hang-on for.  I get Ameristeps or the ones Rural King has on sale at the end of the year for 30-40 bucks each, replace the platform cables with chains, put on a better strap, and go hunting.  Heck, I bet you couldn't buy the treated lumber to nail boards up in a tree for 30 bucks....

R

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
We've got quite a few on our property and I've got a couple spots picked out I'd like to build a couple more.  Usually 10-15 feet off the ground though.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
I built a lot of simplistic death trap style stands that sound similar to what you have described but later moved to a much larger type. Hopefully, your stands are better than the ones I built. I haven't built any for a while, but the last one I did construct did have the appearance of a very large ladder stand. It was so heavy (all 2X4 construction), I had to use a tractor to attach it to the tree. However the platform was four feet square with side rails and was made of pressure treated lumber. We called it the tower. It outlasted the tree it was attached to. A windstorm took the oak tree out a few years ago. It was a very solid and safe platform, at least up till that day.
Sam

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Sure do but I do not use nails or screws into the tree   I build the Stand used for 2x4 lumber in my shop and ratchet strap them to the tree   I then use a homemade ladder out of 2x4 to cllimb into stand. All the work is done at home
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Like Ryan, I have some over engineered steel stands that I've used for years. I don't leave them out all year, and inspect them often. No wood nailed into tree's for me.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your input! Let me start by saying I've built several different types of stands by myself. I grew up building them with my Ol' man. I own 3 climbing stands 2 lock on's and 5 metal ladder stands. I've hunted many many times out of climbing stands on public land and compound bow days. Over the last 6 years of using my longbow I find myself building more and more stands like I described, because of the freedom of movement. I worked for a master carpenter for 5 years and I learned a lot about building stands. Any stand can be a death trap, a very strong well built wooden homemade stand can be very safe. Especially the ones you build onto a single tree, because there is no movement of the wood. Unlike when you build onto 2 or 3 trees the wind turns and twist the trees causing your wood to do the same. Also, I would NEVER use a nail to build a homemade stand. That's just asking for trouble. Bolts are all I use to attach supports to tree. My platforms are all attached to supports using 4" treated torque screws. All built using nothing but 2x6, 2x4, sometimes 2x8.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
All wood is pressure treated and every few years a spray them with Thompson water sealer.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
My grandpa dad and myself have built a few wooden stands. Grandpa prefers them.

We go the whole nine yards, they are basically an apartment w/o a fridge!

We sink the 4 corners into down about 6 feet underground with concrete, has 4 walls complete with windows, a roof, a sheet metal box cut into the side for when its cold and grandpa wants his buddy heater with him.

Enough room for all 3 of us to kick off our boots and enjoy lunch together. In fact some of my very best memories have come from those lunchtime gatherings.....really starting to miss home once in a while
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
That being said I only use hang on stands with ladder sections for steps, with a body harness when im hunting
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
For the cost of lumber and screws/nails, you could buy a great stand.  Don't tempt fate.  Stay safe.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Store bought stands are attached to trees, trees are wood, wood is unpredictable as stated above. So whats really perfectly safe? Build it strong and true and tie in every time you use it, store bought stands have claimed their share of hunters so don't think they're the only safe option.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
Doug,
I know what you're saying, but for me it's not about the money and I already have plenty of stands. I enjoy building stands. In my original post I could have worded the description of the types of stands better, but I wasn't sure how to explain them to where people would know what I was talking about. I wish I had pictures people would know what I ment.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Ive killed a pile of deer and a bear from wooden stands but being a lil scared of heights I rarely use them. I don't even like the metal ones.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
I quit building those (on my own land) a long time ago.  Besides wind weakening them,  it is not good when years later someone (or yourself even) hits an old nail or screw with their chainsaw.

I much prefer ladder stands -whether prefab or homemade- even portable hang-on  stands, although I like climbing into trees less and less the older I get.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
I used to make them. Not only are they a death trap but also an eye sore.

Racoons and other critters loved to crap in them.   They were nice though when I was hunting with my girlfriends, plenty of room for them to fidget and the walls kept us concealed.

I'll use a hang on or climber or sit on the ground these days.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 12:24:00 AM »
I respect everyone's opinion and experience's, but it seems like most post having something ending or starting with the words "death trap" not quite sure why that is. I can see why if the stand isn't built properly or if it is built properly and time, lets say over a period of 20 years, takes its toll why it would be a death trap.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©