3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade tree stands??  (Read 710 times)

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade tree stands??
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »
I built a few steel hang-on stands when I was in high school. I made these out of steel tubing and expanded metal and used a chain to lock them to the tree.. They worked great but where awful heavy. Up until I was out of school and in the workforce I didn't have any choice but to make my own. A well-built homemade stand is as safe as anything I would think, a poorly built one could really get you hurt...There is a small patch of woods that borders my folks place, my buddies and I would spend all summer building deer stands from old pallets and scrap lumber... Now THOSE where "Death Traps" lol....These days I'm probably going to stick to quality factory built stands, Not because they are necessarily safer but they are so light and functional...BeauJ

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
I think I understand your original question and I don't have any ideas how you could make a larger single platform out of wood unless you had legs of off one side going to the ground or more than one tree trunk...BeauJ

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 07:18:00 AM »
Not trying to be a jerk, but based on your original post you shouldn't be surprised about the death trap comments..."nailing a few boards in a tree" and all that.  That post, followed by your second where you give your carpentry experience is like a guy talking about "wanting to drive fast" then mentioning "oh, by the way, I've been driving race cars for 20 years".

Keep in mind that most people ARE NOT master carpenters and giving them the idea to go nail some boards up in a tree for a stand might not be the best idea.... just sayin'....

R

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
For those of you who replace the cables on hang on stands with chain, what size chain do you use and how do you attach it? Is it welded on or bolted thru a link in the chain?

I ask because I have several stands that have cables that are getting old. The stands are no longer made and I don't think I could find replacement parts.
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Nailing boards to trees can always be uncertain.  I have been in stands others have built which felt solid and looked good but I found after the tree had swayed in the wind, the nails had worked free, Further I have seen some nails break.

One time I had a  board break on me where there was a knot in it. Another time I leaned against a railing and it popped right off the tree.

Definition of TRAP
:  a device for taking game or other animals; especially :  one that holds by springing shut suddenly
a :  something by which one is caught or stopped unawares; also :  a position or situation from which it is difficult or impossible to escape

Full Definition of DEATH
a :  a permanent cessation of all vital functions :  the end of life — compare brain death
b :  an instance of dying
a :  the cause or occasion of loss of life

These permanent stands may be good for the first couple years but they are difficult to gauge wear and when something will fail.

Further, they are stuck once assembled. Deer can change active trails every season.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
Consider this option…Inexpensive steel hang on stands from the big box store and the screw in steps made by the tree stand mfg. Since you were planning to haul some tools anyhow, you can take a drill for pilot holes to crank in the tree steps. Sometimes the stands are under $50. You can get into some tight spots with those and get 2-3 up without a whole lot of effort.
And these can be moved later if needed.
Tedd

Offline Coach Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
Nothing is fool proof whether you make it yourself or use a manufactured stand.  But I would say your chances are greater of getting killed driving a truck to your hunting spot versus hunting out of a stand you built yourself.   Unless you replace the straps and cables on your stands every couple of years, a manufactured stand is just a dangerous as the one you built yourself.  Wear a harness and hunt the way you want to.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
I know you didn't want ladder type, but here is mine. It was removed in Dec due to the land selling. Rock solid for the two years I had it up. Now it's waiting for a new home for the fall season. Cost me roughly $40 for all materials including deck screws and lag/carriage bolts.

I have two steel ones that are less stable than this one. Manufactured ones are scary to me. Always use a harness.

TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
Bolts and nails are not the best thing for trees, or saws.  Unless the land is family owned, you might want to check with the owner.  Sawmill owners get pretty upset when they ruin a saw blade that hits a bolt or nail.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Ryan Rothhaar,
" nailing a few boards in a tree " is the only way I new how to explain what type of stand I was talking about. If you would have continued to read my post you would have read where I said that " nailing a few boards in a tree" wasn't the best way to describe what type of stand I was talking about.

As far as giving anybody ideas about building their on stands. You don't have to be a master carpenter all you have to have is a few woodworking skills and some common sense. The common sense is a big part of it.

People have to know their own limitations. If someone reads this thread and decides they want to build their own stand good for them have at it. Just do plenty of research ahead of time. Talk to some people that have experience in building stands.

Which is exactly what I was trying to do and that was to get some feedback on different stand designs people have built, but so far it hasn't worked out to well.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Just to clarify, the type of stand I'm talking about are very similar to this one. This is not one I've built, but one I found online. This stand is ok, but it can be made a lot more stronger, stabile, and safer. This picture is from Nat Geo website how to build a lookout.

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"-Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
Here is another design that I like. This particular one isn't bolted to the tree it is wedged on to the tree. I would bolt it, but this is for not harming the tree.

Offline Msbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Here is the same platform being used as it was designed. I think I would make a great bowhunting stand

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
My newest treestand is a replica of an Anderson Tree Sling made with nylon seatbelt webbing and a speedy-stitch sewing awl.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
The land where mine was located is being cleared for houses. It'll surprise me if they leave any trees. They'll probably plant Bradford Pears. There was a nice straight Persimmon I wanted to get to attempt a bow, but it'll be ground up with the rest of'em  :(

I prefer ground contact with my stands. 14ft 2x4s do well for that.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
In most areas I hunt, I have to adjust every year for the deer having started using a new trail or moving over a little ways. Maybe a tree has fallen or different food source but I am hardly ever able to hunt the exact same tree year after year. So I stay with my portable Loc ons and move around as necessary. Not gonna do it with this type of wooden stand permanently fixed to a tree. Plus they look like an awful lot of work.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
Have a couple that are welded up chain on stands. Heavy as sin.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ryan Rothhaar:
Nailin' boards up in a tree sounds like a good way to get yourself killed.  I do still have and use some of the old, over engineered, home made steel stands my Dad made back in the 1970's, but he was a tool and die maker and a welder, so they are safer than you could buy.

Nowadays I'd wager you couldn't buy the metal to build one for what you can buy a hang-on for.  I get Ameristeps or the ones Rural King has on sale at the end of the year for 30-40 bucks each, replace the platform cables with chains, put on a better strap, and go hunting.  Heck, I bet you couldn't buy the treated lumber to nail boards up in a tree for 30 bucks....

R
Ding, Ding, Ding - I have not read through all of this so I apologize in advance for repeating what a lot of people have said but...  I am a welder and have access to pretty much free material and still cannot produce the stands for the price you can buy them considering my time.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
If you weld, or have access to one. There is no reason you can't build climbing sticks or ladder stands that are not safe.

Given the time I could build some treestsnd that are awesome. I am a fabricator by trade. And it comes easy. If your mechanically inclined you should have not trouble building a few safe stands.
As others stated wonder stuff is not so safe. But I can be if built well and not permanently attached to tree. And when given limited life in the woods. Time in woods is what will get ya. Rotten wood is the killer. And not wearing safety equipment.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 04:52:00 PM »
I saw one last year that amused me.  It looked like a large Torges seat for the base with a normal Torges seat and wood climbing steps.  Just plywood, right angle corner cleats and rope.  The guy really knew how to get the most out of trucker's hitch.  I climbed up to test it, solid as anything I have ever risked my life on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©