3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NM Shelton brace height  (Read 386 times)

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
NM Shelton brace height
« on: May 23, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
Hi guys, I just grabbed a great Shelton from the classifieds (my first hill style bow) and am wondering what everyone braces theirs at.  I started at 7"...just an arbitrary pick but it's shooting great, I'm not sure if this is way off though.  Thanks!
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: NM Shelton brace height
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
If it's shooting great for you at 7" there's no problem with sticking with it, though typically they are often braced lower.  I like mine around 6 3/8 and it's a 66" bow.  6 1/2 to 6 5/8 on my 68" Classic.  Just see what your arrows do.  Once you have the right general spine and you have em shooting pretty clean then tweak the BH as needed.  There's really no one size fits all.  I would not go past 7" as to me that reduces the powerstroke too much on what is a simple, 'slower' basic design.  And with these bows wearing an armguard is kind of part of the fun.  A fast flight material string will also make it more enjoyable  :D   The Shelton is the sweetest shooting Hill I've tried other than the Classic I also have.  Steve does em right.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
I was just tinkering with some new arrows for my 68" Shelton and set the brace at 6 7/8".  I've tried several spots from 6 1/2" to 7 1/4" and really cannot complain with what I was getting.  Your brace is certainly in the park.
Lon Scott

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
Fine tuning at this point...I just dropped it from 7 to 6 5/8, shoots basically the same but almost makes zero noise at that brace.  This is my first experience at this style, compared to the Widow PCH I've been using.  I wasn't expecting this at all, what a great bow and great shooting experience.  I'm really impressed so far.¥
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
I shoot my Shelton (68" long) at 7" brace height.  In fact, all of my Hills and Hill style bows are braced right about that height.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
When I had a Shelton I braced mine between 6 to 6.25. I belive that is what Steve Turay suggested. Thanks and happy shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©