3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow pics added New bail backstop. Why the heck did I wait so long!  (Read 570 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
I could never find a decent place for my targets with a natural backstop that wasn't full of hard dirt or rocks. I have lost way too many arrows over the years. And the other day I was watching a Jeff Kavenaugh (SP) video and thought he has a nice luxury shooting at those bails.
I have been wanting to make a good backstop and finally did yesterday.  I used 6 bails of straw and ratchet strapped them tight on a nice wooden frame. I'll add a pc of rubber from work for a roof to keep them dry.
I have already increased my accurate range by 10 yards because I can shoot without worrying about losing an arrow. Also I was really able to fine tune my setup by being able to see the arrows clearly in flight against the backstop. And I can shoot bare shafts at a pretty long range.            

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Where I shoot from. I can get 50-60 yard if I want. Not visible is a practice tree stand at about 19 yards from the target.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great idea
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Thats not a military haircut. My barber must have misunderstood!
You can almost see in the photo the new style Gold Tip XT graphics on the arrow shafts. I purchased 6 of them for testing in the "XT".  They are very precise in spine and weight.

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
very cool
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Looks good!

Bisch

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
They do work good.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
I have been using the straw bales for as long as I have been into archery, When I lived in California I used to get the 90lb ones and just stack two up and go to shooting. Now that I live in Texas after a lengthy search I bought some small 40lb bales from Tractor Supply. Not exactly what I am used too or like but I am not going to try to put a round bale in my yard. Good for you, just an FYI you can get a horse stall mat and stand it up behind and have extra insurance.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
If you can put some kind of roof over your bales they'll last a lot longer. Even throwing a piece of plywood on top of them helps a great deal in winter months. Once they get soggy they'll start decomposing.

The horse stall mats work great for a safety net. After awhile you'll start shooting through those bales. If you use the stall mats behind the bales, put them up tight to the bales.

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
I wish I had to room for some bales like that. I agree that once the fear of the backstop goes away things improve. I have a heavy rubber matt behind my targets now. Its not a stall matt, thats next. But for now the rubber large matts at home depot are serving well enough. Not 100%, but with my arrows slowing down before they hit the fence I'm happy at least. Agree on covering it. Not to insult your intelligence, but year, wet hay goes away fast, plus it molds and rota and is an all around pain in the butt. If you can score a tarp you can cover all the sides except the face and you'll really stretch the life of those bales.
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
You can also buy a compressed bail of straw from a Co-Op(Tractor Supply) for about $11. The compressed bail is packaged in plastic and is very compressed. I've been shooting one for 2 years w/ 60+lbs and get about 4''-6'' of penetration still. Like Kirk said, get it off the ground and roof it.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Know I like the best.........................the bow is a Black Widow!!! Sweet.
SWA Spyder

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing !!!!    Dang that's a beautiful bow
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Yep, a roof is a necessity for longevity.

My target covers lasted a year of so in the sun, 5 or more years under cover.

I don't shoot the bottom target bale. I picked it up in it's current shape about ten years ago for $5 after a big tournament. It is there to stop arrows that hit low when I am doing some long range shooting.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice Eric, but if that were my target the frame would be all shot up!! LOL   :goldtooth:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Some of you asked about the bow. It is a BW PCHX zircote with tiger myrtle limbs, no red laminations. The limb wedges are the same Zircote instead of the usual black. The limb belly overlays at the limb bolts are squared off instead of the Black Widow shape.  

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Just got it in March. Haven't killed anything with it yet!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©