3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 PC Whip vs. 3 PC Lynx?  (Read 650 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
2 PC Whip vs. 3 PC Lynx?
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I would like your perspective. Which would you prefer? The Whip 2 PC has a bolt system with a phenolic riser. The Lynx has a lot of wood variations in the handle, which is very pretty. There are no tools necessary to assemble a 2 PC whip versus a Lynx. Opinions?

Offline donalcorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 PC Whip vs. 3 PC Lynx?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
I have a two piece whip and love everything about it.  When I travel I have a flyrod case that it slides into very nicely.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
Whip

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
I've had several examples of both.  They have very similar shooting qualities.  If I were buying second hand I'd lean heavily toward the Lynx as all the grips I've tried on the Lynx have been great.  If buying new I'd order a 64" whip HS and have Dan make the grip match the one on my Chinook.  I've owned at least a half dozen whips and the grip in standard form doesn't quite work for me.  Clear as mud right.  No tool limb bolts are an easy addition, I don't think I'd let that be a deciding factor.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
I have had 3 Whips (2 1pc, 1 2pc), a Chinook, an SS, and 1 Lynx.  Choosing between the two you mentioned I would go 2pc Whip with the grip shape he puts on the Chinook.  It has a little more throat than the standard Whip grip and to me is spot on.  The 2pc is tool-less and has enough mass to be quite stable without being tiring to carry. You could also opt for the Classic grip.  Dan's bows are truly among the best made and most well mannered (quick enough and above all quiet) I have shot.  My next dream is a 2pc Chinook.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »
I've got 2 takedown whips a 64" and a 66" also have a lynx with lonbow and recurve limbs. It is nice to be able to change from longbow to recurve using the same riser when the mood strikes me. Overall I  prefer the lynx because of the extra added weight due to being a 3 piece.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
It's scary how much Chuck and I agree on bows.  It's a tough call between the ones mentioned, and you could throw a two piece Pika in the hunt too.  Regardless, you can't go wrong with a Toelke.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
I have had several one piece Whips and currently have a Lynx (recurve limbs) and a new 2 piece Chinook. None of the grips have fit me as well as the grip on my Lynx. It is just right there, every time. I'm sure Dan could have (or still could) shaped my Chinook grip to match the Lynx. You won't go wrong with any of the Toelke's, in my opinion.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
I have had both. I am usually a 1 piece guy but have grown to LOVE the Lynx as my go to. Plus the option of recurve limbs are nice.   Bill

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
I just went on a trip with a similar 3 piece longbow and my buddy had a 2 piece whip.  Now we are home and I no longer have a 3 piece bow and now own a 2 piece whip.  So far I have zero complaints.  So smooth and the added weight is perfect.  Can not be beat for ease of disassembly.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
Taking my 2-piece whip to Colorado this September.  Wanted it because I am packing in and like the ability to break it down and assemble quickly in the field with no tools,  and it is very compact when broken down.  I'll let you know how it worked out later in September.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
I'd like one of each Toelke someday, purchased all at the same time.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by tzolk:
Ha, I've thought the same thing. All different wood combos but made to shoot the same arrow. On my to-do list once I win the lottery.

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:

Originally posted by tzolk:
Ha, I've thought the same thing. All different wood combos but made to shoot the same arrow. On my to-do list once I win the lottery. [/b]
If you win the lottery - splurge and buy a dozen arrows for each bow !   :biglaugh:
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »
Todd, not all at the same time but I may have already done that, let me go look and I'll get back to you.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
I've owned everything but the Pika, not at the same time though.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
^^^ I've not owned the Pika, the SS, or the Lynx Longbow.

I've had the Whip, Super D, Chinook, Kestral, Lynx Recurve in various lengths and weights

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Ive owned the Lynx and a 2PC Super D, but not a 2PC Whip. Toelke bows are great!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Have both and each has their own personality. 64" Whip Bowbolt is super light even with the Phenolic, 64" Lynx has some mass weight and add a set of knurled longbow takedown knobs from Bingham and you have a tool free takedown. Both are dead silent and quick. Dan makes a superb bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
I was kidding but I have shot every model except the new pika and owned a number of standard and classic whips and super ds, a chinook, a curlew t.d. recurve and an sl t.d. recurve. There have been somewhere between 14 and 16 of them and all have been superbly mannered, beautifully crafted bows. Though the newer h.s. whips are the finest bows I've ever shot, there is something magical about the Super Ds and they are all I shoot anymore. I will be out there in july and with the recent "tweaking" of the Super D, I suspect there will be one more coming.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©