3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VPA vs. Simmons ??  (Read 2669 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
VPA vs. Simmons ??
« on: May 28, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Hey guys I am at a bit of a stand still.    

I am starting to set up my hunting gear for this fall and I am stuck between two broad heads to use.  

My decision has fallen between the 205 grain Simmons Safari and the 200 grain VPA 3 blade.

My set up is a 57# Super K with a 515 grain Easton Axis arrow at 20% FOC.

I have used land sharks in the past with great results, every hit has lead to a dead deer.  I have also tortured tested the Simmons heads and found them to be extremely durable and they really are an impressive head. With my KME I can get them shaving sharp no problem.

With that said, for whatever reason I have been liking the looks of the VPA 3 blade heads. Reviews of them are excellent and they seem to be very well made. I have never shot a 3 blade from a traditional bow, so I have little experience with them.

I like sufficient holes and lots of blood on the ground. But I also want good penetration to get the job done on whatever I may decide to hunt.

Which has a better chance of penetrating through bone?

If you had to choose a broad head on the credentials of durability, sharpness, good blood trails, penetration and overall quality which would you choose.... VPA or Simmons?  

They will both do the job, its just a matter of tastes. I would like to get a feel of what the gang thinks. Lets hear your opinions. Thanks, SS

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VPA vs. Simmons ??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
I'm a big fan of the 3 blade, 200 grain VPA.  I've only shot two deer with them, rigs pretty similar to you, and the arrow never slowed down going through the deer.  Short, good blood trails on the order of 10 and 75 yards.  I find them to be the easiest head to sharpen on the market.  I had some trouble sharpening the simmons but if you got that licked it probably doesn't matter.

Online 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:25:00 PM »
love the VPA heads...super easy to sharpen!  I used a 175 grain 3 blade VPA head and put it through both shoulders on a decent sized doe, and that was with a 45lb bow! cant speak for the simmons heads...
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
I shoot the 205 Simmons Safaris out of my #49 Stalker. I shot two deer last season, both were pass throughs with short blood trails. I bought the wheelie sharpener and it works great. They are big heads but fly like my field points. I tried the 3 blade 200 grn VPA's they flew fine but they were loud out of my Stalker while the Simmons made no noise. There my be a way to adjust them to be quiet but I just stayed with the Safaris. Both are fantastic heads. Good luck with your choice.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Dang that's a real toss up...both are really nice heads. Never shot the VPAs but woodsman and big snuffers have been a favorite If you have liked the Simmons I'd stick with them...
...save money and treat yourself to new hunting boots or something   :thumbsup:

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I've shot both. Right now I'm using 2blade 250gr Vpa. They hold up very well and do some damage. It did a number on the I killed in February. After it went through. It was still razor sharp.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Both great heads. I doubt one will perform better than the other.  My 2 favorite heads. The only time I favor one over the other is I chose the tiger shark or safari when I expect to encounter a very large hog.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
I shoot the Safari heads and love them. I haven't found any heads to be miracle bone busters out of 55 pound bow I shoot and 500+ grain arrows. Love the Simmons blood trails!
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
I've never shot the Simmons but am a huge fan of the VPA heads. Took a few whitetails with the compound and VPA 3 blade.

Have the 200 gr 3 blades in my quiver right now for spring bear. Crazy easy to sharpen and fly really well. Can't ask for more
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
I've killed deer with both, and it is probably a toss up. I can get either shaving sharp, but for me the Simmons might have been a touch easier to sharpen.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
I've shot both. I think the VPA is simple to sharpen and resharpen. I am using the 150 grain this year. They are a little shorter than the 200 and bomb proof.   Bill

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
Simmons for last three years - only reason I would see to ever change would be if they became unavailable.  I struggled for a long time to get them sharp - but a simple round file, followed by the paper wheel system gets them shaving sharp rather quickly.  Now I just need to make some form of a holder/angle plate for my paper wheel so I don't have to free hand it  :)
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
I've killed deer with both and found the simmons to be more affordable and open up a really nice hole. I sharpen my simmons with a lanskey and an accusharp and they shave hair just fine.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
You all are making this choice soooo easy!    :banghead:

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 12:44:00 AM »
I've shot both into fresh cow shoulder blades. The 3 blade and the simmons penetrate about the same, 18 to 19". The vpa 2 blade went all the way through multiple times.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 01:58:00 AM »
I love the vpa heads but in the future I'll shoot whatever is the cheapest.

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone.   I'm going to stick with the Simmons that I already have experience with and know how to get sharp.   Thanks again for your opinions ! SS

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I've never shot a Simmons before, but I'm a big fan of the blood trails I see in photos here on the gang. Fight the urge to fiddle and save yo money!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I love Woodsman Elites made by VPA.   Widow

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
I shot the Woodsman Elites and Simmons Landsharks in the past and BOTH flew GREAT. I sharpened the Woodsman's with a flat file and the Sharks with a ACCU Sharp.....They both would shave hair off my arm. I actually need buy some myself ASAP....If anyone has any laying around- shoot me a pm.....Thanks.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©