3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2015, 07:41:00 AM »
Congrats Kevin.  Great Picture of you and the Bear! Your bear looks perfect!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by zipper bowss:
Great looking bears guys!!  

After hunting at Ryan's it would be difficult to go anywhere else for spring bear.

That right there is probably the most truthful statement ever found on the internet.

I'm enjoying the pictures and stories that accompany them.  Thanks for bringing us along guys.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
After being sure my bear was down and done, I exited the stand and went directly to the bait barrel which now held my broken shaft and Abowyer broadhead. I tried to line up the blades and retrieve the head but no luck. Finally the head popped off the shaft and was in with the bait. I wanted that head...badly enough to ignore the bears I'd been hearing and knew were fairly close. There was some bait in the barrel but it didn't feel like too much. Maybe....

I started fishing some trail mix out of the hole and hoped my head would show up. It didn't, so I kept at it. There was more bait than I thought and I kept working at it. At a couple points I actually picked the barrel up and shook it to get the contents moving. I suddenly realized I was basically calling in bears as I shook the barrel, and the absurdity of it all hit me. I couldn't see more than 10 steps in any direction while kneeling in a pile of luscious goodies. One last look and there was my broadhead...still very sharp. I stowed it in my pack and got the heck out of Dodge...noting the 18" deep pile of trail mix I was leaving. I guess you gotta be a little bit determined and crazy to do some of this stuff!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Herdbull:
Good shooting!  Mike, Ha , I remember a guy used to snack on donuts from the bear bait, after all, they were kept frozen until use. Unfotunately, the outfitter used beaver carcasses and wasn't conserned how they were handedled near the bait, and so my friend got sick from girardia a week after the trip. Ha Ha . Be care with that tastey  bait.
So Mike, how long were YOU sick for?     :biglaugh:

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2015, 09:32:00 AM »
Yeah may be a couple years for my next spring bear hunt but it will definitely be with Stickflingers. I just don't see how it gets any better than Ryans set up.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Also got to find out where he gets his trail mix. I want to try some in a couple Arkansas bear baits this fall. They sure seem to love it and it's probably better for the Bears than some of the more traditional baits.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
Great bear Kevin.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
Silly? does anyone every get scared of the bears?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
OUTSTANDING job Kevin and great story.

Dave: you didn't happen to get your bear with one of those super special west Michigan blue arrows did you????

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Wow what a great hunt you all had up there, congratulations.  Thanks also for sharing the stories and the great pictures, it will hold me over till my next bear hunt.
habujohn

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
Bump

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Mike V- I never "take the bait".
Habujohn- hopefully there are more stories to come as the last group filter back home. Mike

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
Great bears guys! Congrats! Tough one Kent can't wait for more stories and pics.TD.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
Ranger, Scared? Maybe this story will answer that for you...
 One of the guys in camp shot a Bear kinda early in his sit, heard it die and found it. Being that Ryan would be a while getting to him he got his gear together and went and laid down in a some what concealed position but near the road.
 He dozes off for a while and awakens to some one breathing pretty heavily just behind him. Sure enough he turns around only to be face to face with a Bear. They scare each other and the Bear runs off....
Needless to say he moved to a more open spot and didn't sleep again till his ride shows up.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Cool story Tom, thanks
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Herdbull:
Mike V- I never "take the bait".
Mike
Remember, the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »
:campfire:  week 3 report?

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
 :campfire:   week 3 report?
Yikes-MIA HUNTERS - maybe the bears were extra hungry because early hunters were eating the bait.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Cobie33

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Great stories fellas, keep them rolling.
"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
 Albert Pike

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
Well, time is slipping by.  I have been having trouble with my computer and posting images so I will just post a narrative and perhaps SteveO will post an image or two for me later.

This was my first guided hunt.  I have to say It was one of the best hunting experiences of my life.  I don't think I could have had better guys in camp than Brian Wessel, Brian  Burkhart, Keith Kocher, SteveO, and Darrell Kemper  Sorry for the spelling on the names. A great bunch of guys.

When  Ryan posted he had a last minute opening, i mentioned it to my wife of fourty-three years and the wonderful lady she is she said" I think you should go, you are not getting any younger"!

What followed was an exercise in frustration.  I shot every bow I had, tried multiple spine/ broadheads and wasn't satisfied with any of them. My form was all out of whack.
I talked with Norm at Blacktail bows, Snag,  and gradually things came around.  I shortened my draw length a bit, and went back to my glove.  I had been trying to convert to a tab.  After shooting off and on for about fourty years, the glove just works better at least for now.

I worked mostly on my form as I was really torquing the bow. Finally it started comming around and I ended up with a 60/65 Sitka Spruce arrow by Paul Jalong.  I wanted to shoot an arrow built by Snag, but they were not right for this particular bow and in the end I had to go with what I had that worked.  I also took some Axis carbons that shot ok for backups.

The last thing I wanted was for Ryan to see me shooting and say "Gary, maybe you should stay in camp today and practice".  But finally a couple weeks before I was to leave, I felt like I was shooting pretty well.
To be cnt'd.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©