3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers  (Read 3985 times)

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Before I go any further, I wanted thank the guys from here that responded graciously to my questions.  I wanted to be successful on this trip, so I wanted to do everything I could the right way.

I talked with Herdbull, SteveO, Ryan Derlago, Mike Vines, little Big Man, Ryan Sanpei, hope I havnt missed anyone because they were all helpful.

The first afternoon in camp Ryan asked if I was ok in a ground blind. I thought that was a good idea as I had little opportunity to shoot from an elevated position.

When we got to "too close" stand, Ryan re-baited and showed me where I was to sit.  I thought Ryan was bringing a stool and as I had told him I had a stool, we both forgot to bring one.  No problem, Ryan said I could sit on a partially filled sack of bait. Huh?  Ryan said "are you ok with this?". I said "Yes".
Ryan then showed me where a bear trail came right behind the blind.  He said "are you sure you are ok with this?"  I said yes.  Then he told me about another hunter who had been in this setup and had a bear approach within touching distance before he saw him.
I llooked at Ryan and he said "are you sure you are ok with this?  It is supposed to be fun".  I thought  a minute, and replied " well for the first night perhaps a tree stand might be better."  Ryan said no problem, and took me to another stand where I did see a couple of bear that night.

The next night Ryan asked where I wantd to go for the evening, and I replied  that I would like to go back to the Too Close stand as my comfort level was much higher after I had my first encounter with Canadian bear under my belt.  I saw about ten bear thst night, one very nice one but with a rubbed rear end . I did not take any shot.

However, one of the other hunters had shot a really nice big bear the night before and I when I saw him up close, I wondered about my arrow selection.  I did actually switch to the carbons for a night or so, but when Ryan told me he shot basically the same weight bow  and wood arrow, and said "if you hit the bear where you  are supposed to you will have no problem with your setup.

One day during the week, I came back to camp to find Ryan had moved in an elevated platform that we could practice from.  Man, that guy works hard for his customers!

I took advantage of the elevated platform and was feeling pretty good about my shooting.
Every day I saw bear that I could have shot, but I was getting picky I guess. Besides, there was a lot of time left.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
Boy, what long winded old fart I have become.  Sorry, I will cut  to the chase.

On the next to last day, I went back to a .stand that Ryan thought might give me the best chance at a big bear.

I had three come in but decided to wait.  At 9:15pm, a chocolate bear came in that  was big enough.  I decided I wanted to take this bear.

As he started to leave the clearing, he paused slightly. I seemed to be on autopilot. I drew, concentrating on where I wanted to hit him, hit my anchor, and  the next thing I knew, I saw the arrow in flight, hitting in the ribs.

He was moving on impact, and I thought perhaps I had hit low and perhaps too far back.  I heard him running, breaking twigs and then... Silence.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
:campfire:
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Online 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2015, 11:35:00 AM »
Sounds awesome!!! Bucket list hunt of mine for sure! Keep going!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
No death moan.  Now I was wondering about my shot. I had not seen my arrow when the bear took off running.

Afterwards I walked over to the shot site and thought I saw some blood.  I gathered up my gear and headed for the road to wait for Ryan.

When he arrived we talked and he decided we should take a look and trail for a few yards to see what we could find.

We had gone about 60, maybe 70 yards when Ryan said "Gary, do you want to take a look at your bear?"  I thought are you kidding?"
And there he was laying right on the trail.  Probably one of the most important parts of this hunt was when Ryan said "Gary, that was a  perfect text-book double lung shot.

Lord, I so wanted to do this thing right. And now it was done.

We took some photo's and then there in the middle of the Canadian bush, we bowed and gave thanks to the Lord  for this experience.

I am so happy with this hunt, the guys I got to meet and practice with.  Ryan and  David did everything humanly possible to make this a good experience. And it was.

The only thing that could  have made it better was if my best hunting companion, my son Matt, was there. I hope someday we can make that happen.  As my good wife says "you are not getting any younger"!
 Thanks again Ryan for a great experience.

Gary

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »
Well done Gary!

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
Well done and well said! No better feeling than getting to enjoy the week, having some cool encounters, and bringing an animal home with a perfect shot. Money well spent    :thumbsup:
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
Congratulations Gary!  What a feeling to see that bear after a short track and a perfect way to pay your respects.

Ryan has a great operation and crew.  I missed seeing David, that little working machine, but Magic Mike filled in well and has a similar great work ethic.

Congrats again.
D.P.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by MnFn:
Well, time is slipping by.  I have been having trouble with my computer and posting images so I will just post a narrative and perhaps SteveO will post an image or two for me later.

This was my first guided hunt.  I have to say It was one of the best hunting experiences of my life.  I don't think I could have had better guys in camp than Brian Wessel, Brian  Burkhart, Keith Kocher, SteveO, and Darrell Kemper  Sorry for the spelling on the names. A great bunch big guys.

I can't add anything to that except send me the pics and I should be able to get them up for you tonight.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Congratulations Gary, Cant wait to see the pics!

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Nice story Gary. Congratulations on a great hunt and putting it all together. Looking forward to the photo's.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »
Thanks for good comments.  I realize now I also picked Ray's brain for his thoughts on broadheads. Thanks Ray.

I did also forget to mentioned the equipment.  I used my Blacktail VL Elite 53# recurve.  I shot a 63# spined Sitka Spruce with a 160 grain Stos two blade.  My concerns about the equipment were unfounded as I got a complete pass through and eventually we found the arrow at the site of impact.

I was probably shooting around 51/52 pounds as my draw has shortened up a bit. Glove was an American Leather Crossover. Quiver was a Safari- tuff Duiker. Camo was Sitka, except when I was wearing my thrift store brown plaid shirt.  Even tho Ryan thought I looked like an advertisement pic, I think I have gotten good value from Sitka brand clothing. And finally, muck boots.
Oh, thermocell was a very good addition.

I did make one big mistake tho.  Keith k. Let me shoot his Tall Tines recurve.  Very, very nice bow. That is all I will say about that.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
Gary,
You're welcome. Nothing ever wrong with having concerns. Tradgang is about sharing experiences and knowledge.  I've certainly received more than I've given here over the years. My experience with black bears has always been accurate arrow placement over brute strength every time. Hit them where it belongs and you'll have a happy story to tell like yours.  

By the way, I didn't mention it before, but it's so cool to see your post about your wife supporting your dreams. It sure makes it more enjoyable.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Congrats Gary ...awesome story!!!felt like I was there with ya...did any of the Tall tines gang put anything on the ground?I know them guys have killed some Big bears over the yrs
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
Congrats Gary ...awesome story!!!felt like I was there with ya...did any of the Tall tines gang put anything on the ground?I know them guys have killed some Big bears over the yrs
NRA Life member

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Sorry double post
NRA Life member

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
Yes, but I don't want to spoil anyone's story. I will let them tell it.
Gary

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Congrats Gary!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
As Gary said, it is not my place to tell others stories and all I have is a big fat failure so dont have much to offer     :(  

Actually I'm kind of ticked at Stickflingers!

Three days in a row I tried to hunt a certain stand. EVERY time we got to the stand I had THIS fine fat lass wanting to join me

You can see one of her suitors there at the bait barrel. Timid...

So that is basically the only problem you have at Ryan's. You can't always hunt the stand you are supposed to     ;)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »
When you go up there it is best to not shoot the sows. They are much better bait than the trail mix. Bears like this don't last long at other camps:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©