3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers  (Read 3987 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Good one, Dave. Too bad Tom didn't get his bear, but that's hunting. This place looks like bear heaven, for sure.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Beautiful bear
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Good bear Dave

Congrats !
Make a life, not a living

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:00 AM »
Way to go DP!!! Missed being there with you in camp bud. Beautiful bear    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Congrats on a beautiful bear!  I always look forward to this thread.  Hopefully a few more stories and pictures will come.     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
My hunt didn't work out like I'd hoped but I do have a story with some pics. I'll get back on as soon as I have time to share. Ryan runs an awesome camp, has a very low pressure hunting area and it really is bear paradise!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Is that picture from "Determination"?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Now that's a pretty looking shot!!
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
Great looking bear. Congrats! Looking forward to the story Kent.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Good Job Dave!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
WOW!  Beauty
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
Yep it's a beautiful color phase bear that I really wanted to bring back home with me but it just didn't work out, still kicking myself. I locked onto a spot once I decided to take the shot, came to full draw, released and watched the arrow hit exactly where I was looking. I thought it was a perfect shot, tight behind the shoulder and about 1/3 of the way up. Would have been perfect for broadside. What I didn't realize until I reviewed the video was that the bear turned more than I thought and was actually at more of a quartering away angle by the time I reached anchor and released.

Once Ryan arrived to pick me up I showed him the video and since I didn't hear a death moan we decided to wait until morning to take up the trail.
A couple hours later we saw that it was supposed to rain overnight so about 4 hrs after the shot we started trailing. Found about the first 2/3 of the arrow about 10 yards down the trail and the fletching end 10-15 yards farther. Began to find decent blood that got less and less the farther we went. After probably 200-250 yards we were down on hands and knees finding a single drop every 10-20 yards. Even though it was a good 4 hrs after the shot when we started trailing so the bear definitely wasn't pushed it never laid down. I believe with the quartering angle the arrow passed behind the front shoulder and came out the brisket without ever entering the vitals.
I had 8 different bears come into the bait that night including a big, mature, long legged black boar about an hour before dark that ran everything off the bait. All this on the first evenings hunt.
This was my third bear hunt. First one in Quebec, I didn't have a shooter bear come into the bait all week, a sow with 3 Cubs was it. Last fall in ME I had a great time and killed a really nice big dry sow on the 4th evening which was the only bear I saw all week.
Ryan has an absolutely awesome place to kill a great bear and I hope I get to go back in the next couple years, can't imagine a better spot. I also totally agree with his policy where if you shoot a bear you're done, whether you kill it or not. I think more outfitters should have the same policy.
I really don't like telling stories about game that got away. Just a reminder that picking a spot and being able to hit that spot is essential, just make sure you pick the right spot for the angle. I'm still kicking myself and probably will be for a long time.

Congrats Dave on a beautiful bear! Great job!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
Kent...

Nothing but admiration for you. That was definitely a tough outcome and the way you handled it shows a lot of class and ethics. Wish I could have spent some time getting better acquainted with you and that bruin.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
Kent, My son and I share your feelings. We both went through the same thing in the first week with Ryan. Very disappointing but we both learned a lot.
Cant wait to go back.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
It was a tough night and morning for Kent, but as Kevin said he handled it like a true sportsman who cares.  

From what I saw I am also glad he didn't bring any LH samples with him!

D.P.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
Hey, did any of you guys get to try the Fiddle Heads?

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
I can't say that I did.  Is it like asparagus?

D.P.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Ryans neighbor picked some, Fiddle head Ferns, in the clearing behind the tents, where the 3-d course is set up and pickled some....absolutely delicious...not to mention the head cheese he made. Never thought I'd say that about head cheese

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Was the neighbor Ray?  Fiddlehead ferns are fantastic, but you better be quick, they only grow for a couple weeks.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
Ray is the neighbor.  Somewhat of a jack of all trades around the area.  He made some corned bear that was outstanding too.

By the way Mike, Kent was at Ratatoulie in the picture I believe, but my brother got to experience Determination and thump a bear on the noggin with the tip of his longbow.

D.P.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©