3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stickflingers  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stickflingers
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2015, 05:56:00 PM »
I too hunted determination, had two bears touch the ladderstand and give me the stare down. Makes ya think whats going on in their minds as they look at you so close you can see the sun glare off their eyes. Loved it.

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
Had a young boar walk right up to the base of my ladder and make eye contact with me too. Thought for a minute he was gonna climb on up to join me. Then he just turned around and moseyed back over to the bait. Stand was maybe 10 yards from the bait barrel and not more than 10' high. Very cool to be that close to so many bear that really seem like they could care less that you're there. Got lots of video.

Offline mparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
Nice work Dave!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
Ryan definitely has a phenomenal area to hunt. The combination of agriculture and bush habitat is perfect for bear reproduction and growth. I sat 5 different stands and saw about 30 different bears. I might be color-blind though, as every last bear was black. It was almost the norm to walk in and find bears actively feeding at the bait. They would often amble away and wait until things quieted down, then return to feed.

I hunted the Determination stand on day 4 and actually found it to be fairly tame. I saw 5 or 6 bears that night and had 3 of them chased up trees around me by bigger ones. One 175 pounder jumped up a tree next to mine and popped its jaws at the huge distance of 5 feet. After exiting the stand toward dusk I had a bear follow me out the trail and try to bluff me...great fun. It was absolutely the norm to climb down with bears feeding/watching from the bait.

Ryan's new camp is superb. Elevated decks hold 2 large wall tents which are very spacious. Four hunters have plenty of room to occupy. The combination bathroom/shower house is a true luxury and we all commented how good it was to have a hot shower whenever needed. Kitchen and dining areas were also very well set up, though my cook could have been better looking. I guess that's to be expected when you prepare your own meals!

All-in-all, the toughest part of this hunt for me was actually not having to work hard. I told Ryan and Mike I am so used to diy hunts...haven't hunted with a guide in many years...that I found it hard to 'just' hunt.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
Congrats guys!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
On day 5 I was placed at the stand called Elk Rub. A medium-ish bear was on the bait as we approached, and it walked away as we entered. Before I could get settled in the stand this bear was back and gorging. That evening I saw 5 bears including a 40 pound cub which came in alone. After eating for 15 minutes the cub jumped onto a tree and ended up at least 75' high, where it remained safely away from other bears. The cub never showed the slightest inclination to descend while I was there. Later there was a nice bear on the bait which chased a couple other bears off as it fed. Eventually a bigger bear showed up and bluffed the feeding bear away, then moved in to feed itself. I debated whether to shoot this last bear, and decided I would if given a broadside chance.

After almost an hour of nonstop feeding with its back to me, the bear changed its attitude and I was sure it was about to walk. It did, and way faster than I can tell it my arrow flashed through the ribs and buried deeply into the barrel. I knew it was a done deal and both heard and saw the bear crash after a 5 second hooking run. I like doing my own recoveries and was extremely pleased to find this bear on my own. I marked its position and headed for my atv parked a mile away. Pretty good evening I must admit!

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Good Job Kevin, nice Bear and story.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
Very nice picture Kevin.  Congratulations.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
Congratulations Kevin and wow what a big ole snout on that critter.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
Congrats Kevin! Looks like a great bear!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
Nice bear kevin!  Congratulations on a great hunt and a super trophy!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
Congrats Kevin....gotta love those short blood trails.  I know I did last Saturday following mine.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
Congrats guys! would love to make it on one of these trips!

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
Congrats Kevin ...beautiful bear thxs for sharing your story!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
Congrats Kevin. Any details on the bear or your bow/gear?
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Cari-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 10, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Congratulations Kevin!
I new you would do well. Ryan really does a great job and knows his stuff.
Abe

Offline Wyoming Chief

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
I have had a week now to contemplate on my mmmmiss.  While I am disappointed in my poor shot (3 inches too low), I had a great time.  Ryan deserved a better shooter for all of his efforts.  His camp is great and getting better everyday.  
The number of bears is amazing.  I saw over 30 bears in 5 nights.  You have to sit Determination to fully appreciate close encounters.  The mad sow was also interesting.
All in all a great hunt with my brother and camp friends.  I would highly recommend Stickflingers to anyone.  Tom

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 10, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys...all of you. Brock (Ron)...nice job on your bruin, too!

I think I have to partly blame Pagel for my decision to kill. I was enjoying the hunting and actually had pretty much decided I wasn't likely to shoot anything...then came Dave's chunky chocolate which whetted my desire. I also really wanted some bear meat to bring home, and I now have a bunch of it to eat.

Abe...I tend not to be a promoter, but I have no problem telling anyone what a fine hunting weapon my Tuktu EX TD has been. I'm 5-for-5 with it and have watched 4 of those animals fall in sight. I really got it right when I decided to order that one.

I have one more story to tell here later, then I'll leave this thread to others....thanks.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Both of those are beautiful bears. Congrats.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Great looking bears guys!!  

Kevin
Tracy and I had a great sit at Elk Rub as well.
After hunting at Ryan's it would be difficult to go anywhere else for spring bear.
Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©