3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Possible move to NC  (Read 640 times)

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
Possible move to NC
« on: May 28, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Wife is interviewing next week in Winston Salem. I see there's no NC forum but I'm sure plenty of guys from the area. Any idea what to expect as far as deer, turkey and bear? I'm currently in NJ and look forward to owning my own huntable land. Any input will be appreciated.
Leon Stewart lil slammer 56" 45@28
Martin Howatt Hunter 64" 50@28

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Possible move to NC
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
I'm 20 minutes north of Winston-Salem. PM me if you make the move   ;)

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
I grew up in NC and spent up to the time I was 30 in the Raleigh / Durham area.  It use to be really nice back when I was a kid but much of the piedmont area has just gotten too populated for my tastes (same can be said for where I am  currently stuck north of ATL but hope to move to "fly over country" in the next few years where there is still a little elbow room to be had).  Lots of ground is being chewed up by development.  you can still find land to hunt but as with other states in the area, it has become a lease / hunt club situation in many areas.  Land prices in many areas are also really high, which is great if you own some as my parents do, but might make it hard to buy any decent size acreage.

You may find it is a veritable paradise, so take my somewhat jaded critique with the understanding that I have seen the area I grew up "ruined" (in my opinion) by too many people  and too much development.  If you move their I hope things work out well for you.

Plenty of deer, turkey and used to be some great bear hunting on the coastal plain years ago.  Even starting to be some hogs on the coastal plain.  I remember reading about some huge black bears in some major hunting magazines that were being killed in NC.  Also looks like they might get Sunday hunting passed soon.

Good Luck!

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
Im in northern NJ where 500-600 pound bears are killed every year, but no bow hunting for bears yet. The state record 829 pound bear was shot about 10 minutes from my home. I'm traveling to Quebec next week for my first bow bear hunt. I've been finding great deals and low taxes (compared to NJ) on 10-20 acre homes. Fingers are crossed.

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
Paul, what town?

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Many counties to the west of Winston got hit by EHD in 2012. Certain ares are still on the rebound.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
Near the NC Zoo here. 40 minutes from Winston.

Deer are plentiful in many areas. Getting permission to hunt private land is difficult. There is plenty of public land, but that's another story in itself.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
What Bud said. You cant drive several of the Piedmont highways at night without dodging deer, but getting permission to hunt private land is hard, to the point that the NC Wildlife Resource Commission has developed special urban hunting season and regs to  thin the herd in suburbs where the deer population is out of control. But the deer are definitely there, and the turkey population has done well ,especially in western NC.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Are lease hard to come by? What about cost per acre? The prices here in NJ are outrageous for land.

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
You can hunt with a bow on private land on Sundays already.
The surrounding counties of Davidson, Davie and Stokes have a lot of farmland and leases are available for a lot less than you pay in NJ.
I talked to a gentleman who let us hunt on his 50 acre farm - no charge. It was an organic farm and the deer were hitting his crops hard.
Forget Yadkin county for leases if you're not from around here.
Davie county has 2 state game lands. On the 1 near the river, I have never seen another hunter.
Davidson County has Alcoa State Game lands along the river, and in southern Davidson and several counties south is the 51,000 acre Uwharrie National Forest.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:00 AM »
Thank you.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 06:29:00 AM »
King, NC

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
One good thing about where you might move to, is that much better bowhunting (in terms of opportunities for deer, turkey and bear as well as the quality/quantity of public land) is a short drive to the north, when you cross the border into VA!
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
I lived in Greensboro from 1988 to 2001 and hunted primarily on leased property in Stokes and Alleghany counties.  Lots of deer in Alleghany County, much less in Stokes (although friends tell me that the deer population on my old lease is much better now).  In general, you can find good deer and turkey hunting in the Winston-Salem area.  Don't expect much with regards to decent antler size.  In 12 years of hunting in NC the biggest buck I saw scored a little of 110".  I had lots of problems with tresspassers, stolen tree stands, and ATV traffic on leased properties.  Hunting land prices in the Piedmont area of NC are pretty darn high.  The going price in 2000 was about $4000 per acre and up.  Hunting land can be purchased much cheaper in southern Virginia.  Bear hunting is very tough as the regulations favor dog hunters and when bear season opens there will be hounds running all over.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »
$4000 per acre? That must be a typo.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
Prime (and some times not so prime) farm ground here in central Illinois is going for well over $10,000 an acre
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Seriously?  I had no idea, lucky me I guess.

Offline blackpenny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
As far as trespassers, stolen stands etc, NJ is tough to beat in ahole per square mile. I'm used to all of that. Lol. I'm looking at homes in King, Advance and similar areas. Generally within a half hour of Winston.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
I know of 20 acres for sale that's eaten up with deer. $44k is the asking price. Tax value is 22K. It's about 45 min from Winston near Wentworth. Oh to have my mortgage paid off. Three more years.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
You go north a little towards Roxboro or West of Roxboro and you will find some big deer! just got to find land to hunt on. Great hunting up there.
Course you could come towards the coast such great hunting on the Croatan -- much sarcasm meant --
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©