3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Game cart ?  (Read 281 times)

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
Game cart ?
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
I am in the market for a game cart, I just visited a Cabelas in Louisville last weekend and was able to put my hands on their game cart. I also visited the Bass Pro in Clarksville and was able to look at their models, anyone have any experience with the Cabelas game cart, I am leaning that way but just not sure. Any help or advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance. P.S. I have used the "sleds" in the past and would like to go to a "wheeled cart"
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Game cart ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
I have the Magnum model with the 20" wheels and it does a great job.  I use it for hauling gear and game into and out of the woods.
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
It looks pretty good. I have an aluminum one with solid wheels and it can still be cumbersome at times. I shot a button buck and it worked perfect.

However, I killed a really big buck during shotgun this year. It was actually easier to drag him than use my cart. His butt was so big it was rubbing against the wheels making it hard to roll the cart! I'm not sure what he weighed, but it was well over 200 lbs. Maybe in the 270-290 pound range. He was a 13 point STUD!

Long story short, it made my job easier on smaller deer and didn't work well on a REALLY big buck.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Bought one of the 70.00 deals on ****.  Solid wheels so no locust thorn worries.  First deer we drug out along a corn field it paid for itself-- we Han a long drag/ pull.  Got to the truck and when I went to pick the cart up both wheels fell off.  The sticks and weeds had plucked the cheap wire pins out, but easy fix once home was to install cotter pins.  Only draw back is the smell of those rubber tires--running them through some dog poop would actually improve the smell-- otherwise best 70.00 I ever spent!

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I have one of the mag haulers from Cabela's. I've had it for quite a few years, and can't say enough good things about it.

I ordered it after killing a med sized black bear at camp, and spending most of the next day dragging it out by myself. The next bear I shot went on the hauler, and what a difference.

I've used it to get more than a couple deer out of the woods, hauling firewood, and a bunch of other things too.

The one I have is very well made, and has held up great over the time I've had it.

I've found it to be helpful to tie the legs of whatever critter you're giving a ride, up out of the way, or they always seem to end up in the spokes, and If you balance the weight over the axle, there's no added strain trying to hold the handle up, or pushing it down while you use it.

Mine is the model with the single wheels on each side, by the way. I thought about getting the dual wheeled model, but there hasn't been a time so far, that I wished I had the extra wheels.

Bob

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
Gee, Doesn't anyone just grab ahold & start dragging anymore...???  :rolleyes:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Kenny Henderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
What about the shield cabelas sells for the spokes? Anyone use those or find it even necessary?
"Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass" Psalm 37:5

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Gee, Doesn't anyone just grab ahold & start dragging anymore...???   :rolleyes:  
That's part of the reason my body's in the shape It's in now, lol. I take every advantage I can get these days.   ;)  

Bob

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kenny Henderson:
What about the shield cabelas sells for the spokes? Anyone use those or find it even necessary?
I mentioned legs/feet getting in the spokes at times, and a branch will too, now and then. The shields would probably be a help, but even without them, the cart is a HUGE plus IMO.

Bob

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
I use the Aluminum Ameristep Non-Typical.  Folds up into a backpack- 22" x 22" x 4". < 20#. Canted wheels for stability. Takes up no space.  I have hauled out a number of 220# field dressed deer with it.  Very impressed for a cart.  

On another note- which many whitetail guys just don't seem to consider:  I can quarter out a whitetail with a gutless method in 20 minutes.  I carry out all the meat lashed to my portable tree stand on my back.   Sure makes things easy.  

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
I have a fold up one cabelas( wife was fearing I would drop dead dragging ta big 1)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Dead sled is  better IMO.  Uneven ground, logs and mud can make a cart harder than dragging.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Quartering is a good call...

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
I've had  mixed results with mine. The wheels are not slanted, so tipping is a problem. The bed is flat, so it can be difficult to keep the load centered. If I'm using it on a logging road or flat surface, it works great. Over rocks, or uneven terrain, it's a nightmare.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
Mine will tip on steep side hills when cutting too much across the slope.  Taking any slope at an angle eliminates this and having a piece of parachute cord tied on the top of the strap that goes over the deer with someone adding a little  resistance to the up hill side can keep it from tipping most of the time.

Offline kleine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
The cabelas mag hauler would be my choice. Had one for about ten years. I don't know why you ever want to go without. A friend of mine did an easy cobble job for a hitch behind his atv. They also work great just to lay the deer on to hose them out.
Striker Fastback 58" 50#@28"
Bear T/D - A 56" 47#@28"
Holm-Made Shrike 64" 49#@28”
Holm-Made River Runner Static 58” 48#@28”
BW PL III 47#@28" 64"
BW PCH CARBON 45#@28" 58"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©