3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Made a couple of solo stalkers.  (Read 297 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Made a couple of solo stalkers.
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
So, I got bored yesterday and decided that I'd make a solo stalker. Well....I made two. I've just about used up the last bits of my leather. I kinda like the idea of these. So, here's a picture of them.

The one on the right I dyed a dark brown, it came out really dark almost black. It should look pretty good once it gets some age and use on it. The one on the left I dyed with my regular brown dye. It almost looks like a russet brown. I've never dyed leather before so I may have used to much, but they should lighten a bit with use. I made these to fit my Steel Force Traditional broadheads, the heads are 3" long by 1" wide. The leather I used is the last bits of my 6/7oz shoulder. I stitched them using a sewing awl. First time I've had a chance to use one, so my stitching isn't the greatest yet. However, these should work wonderfully.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Cavscout9753

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Made a couple of solo stalkers.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
They both look very well made! I have one I purchased from 3 Rivers and for the bottom section I cobbled together a single gripper from and old quiver and the velcro mounting assembly of an EFA small quiver. The combo makes a perfect single arrow quiver that I use for when I'm moving around on the hunt. I think EFA or someone else makes the bottom section now, but mine is functional. If it ever gets lost I'll just purchase one but I was happy to manage a close approximation on my own. The pic is kind of crappy, but you get the idea:

ΙΧΘΥΣ

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Nice.  I find them great additions.

I made a gripper by cutting a Selway PiggyBacker in half (a Dean Torges tip).

Simple, light, quiet and effective.  You can shoot with a spare in place.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 06:06:00 AM »
I think these are great ideas.
I'm soon going to get one from Kanati or EFA. My leather "skills" are non-existent.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:09:00 AM »
Nice! You did a good job on them.   :thumbsup:  

Charlie, I like your gripper too.   :thumbsup:  

It's always satisfying to make something useful yourself, whether It's archery related or not. I guess It's the self sufficient aspect of it that appeals to me.

Bob

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I'm going to go look for something I can use as a gripper. I don't have an old quiver I can cut one out of. But I'm sure I can find something I can use.
Thanks for all the compliments. I've never actually seen one outside of a picture I'm glad they came out the way they did. Next time I'm going to do a better job on them.

I just found out my brother has an Elite Club membership at Tandy's leather. Think I'm going to get him to order me some more leather.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Oh! If anybody is interested Tandy Leather Company is having a sale on their single shoulders 4/5, 6/7, and 7/9oz. $30.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
Dorado, I made grippers by sandwiching four pieces of thick leather together with contact cement.  Pressed them in a vice to cure.

Cut them out with a hacksaw.  I'll try to do a pic later.

Thanks for the tip on the Tandy sale.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Stacked leather.... I may be able to work with that idea. I'd love to see what you came up with Monterey. Gives me something to think about at least.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Here are some pics.  The black leather is some salvaged very thin garment leather that was used for appearance as well as adjusting the width of the arrow slot.  Of course these need to be sized for the style bow.  These are on an ASL with 1" wide limbs, so the "legs" are not very long.  Tied on with B50.

BTW, I am working on a couple others and I totally ripped off your method of attaching the broadhead holder to the bow!  :D    :o  

I made some of these side quivers up for myself and family members for Christmas.  This is a great way to carry arrows if you hunt with a pack on, but extracting a single arrow quietly in a shot opportunity situation is near impossible.  That's what got me started on these stalkers

Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Here are some pics.  The black leather is some salvaged very thin garment leather that was used for appearance as well as adjusting the width of the arrow slot.  Of course these need to be sized for the style bow.  These are on an ASL with 1" wide limbs, so the "legs" are not very long.  Tied on with B50.

BTW, I am working on a couple others and I totally ripped off your method of attaching the broadhead holder to the bow!    :D        :o    

I made some of these side quivers up for myself and family members for Christmas.  This is a great way to carry arrows if you hunt with a pack on, but extracting a single arrow quietly in a shot opportunity situation is near impossible.  That's what got me started on these stalkers

Dude, If you can use my idea go for it! I just couldn't figure out a better way to do it. Now that I'm looking at your grippers, I may make another stalker with a spacer on the backside so that the arrow doesn't stick out too far on the bottom. Maybe put a groove in it to help hold it in place. I didn't really think about that when I made mine.
I may borrow/steal your side quiver design. I ordered some leather from Tandy's yesterday, came in today, not really a high quality piece though. Don't have enough to make something big. But I don't have a side quiver, so I may make me one of those.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
Those are a take off on a tutorial/build along in one of the how to sections here.  I modified it quite a bit but it's basically the same.  There is no end to the variations that can be done on it.

You will want a fairly heavy leather.  In the 7 to 8 oz range.  At least that's what I used.
Monterey

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Here, I found a link to it.

quiver build along
Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
I only have 6/7oz leather. I could probably double it up and have a really stiff quiver but it'd be kinda heavy. Maybe adding some ribbing to the inside would work. A couple of strips tapered on the long sides, that or dressed up and added to the outside. I'm not good at tooling but I might be able to figure something out.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I think your 6 to 7 oz will work just fine.

Earlier you mentioned looking for a source of arrow holders.  Three rivers sells the piggy backers.  You could cut them in half and get two out of each one.
Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
Piggy backers would be fine but I think I like the leather one you made better. It'd use up some of these smaller scraps I have.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
I was afraid it might not hold up to moisture, but it did fine on a very rainy turkey hunt in May.

Put up some pics when they are made.
Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
I was afraid it might not hold up to moisture, but it did fine on a very rainy turkey hunt in May.

Put up some pics when they are made.
Will do. It'll probably be sometime this weekend. Got some other projects in the works. I'm going to make two of them and try to match the colors.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©