3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tools for Marking my Pack and Bloodtrails  (Read 455 times)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tools for Marking my Pack and Bloodtrails
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »

Aloha Gang,

Here's a quick video about the tools I use and why I mark my pack and blood trails.

Please click on link below to view video.
   http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2015/06/marking-my-pack-and-blood-trails.html

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tools for Marking my Pack and Bloodtrails
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I use strips of toilet paper.  Degrades in a couple of rains
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I've used toilet paper too but in the areas I hunt, it often rains and the winds can be blistery. I've lost my tp marks a couple times. Plus during the hot months, I sweat so much that I can't leave them in my pocket all day long, they start to deteriorate.

I don't leave these in the field either. I'll always retrieve it.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
I use strips of toilet paper along with route on GPS. Paper degrades in a couple of rains
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
I use strips of toilet paper.  Degrades in a couple of rains if I miss picking up s couple.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Nice video though
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I've always used trail marking tape and tied it to whatever I could with a slip-knot. It holds tight and comes untied with a pull. I'll dispose of the excess later or if I have a long piece reuse it.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
TP is great, until you wave a length of it-flashing white-during gun season. Deer tails wave white and so does TP.  "I'm tellin' you son, it ain't no fun staring straight down a 44"!!!!  I no longer use TP, I use surveyor's tape.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I tend to use longer pieces and reuse them after retrieval.  Wish I could say I never need them cause everything falls within sight, but, alas. .
ChuckC

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
I use a bundle of yarn.  Cut a series of 24 inch pieces,  20 or so. Fold that bundle in half and then wrap a another piece around the fold to form a donut to tie on your pack or quiver.  Call them pony tails.  When on a blood trail, simply pull a strand out and wrap on a branch. Discreet way of marking a blood trail.  Easy seen to determine a line of travel.During tournament season, I use them as self-cleaning device to wipe dust and dirt off missed shots! Yep, miss a lot....  If I were back east, I would tie on e on a branch with scent to attract and mark ranges.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Good tips.  By the way what app are you using on your iPhone.
T ZZZZ

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
I use orange marking tape. I tried yellow tape, but I found out that in the dark with only a flashlight for illumination, yellow just does not show up for me.
Sam

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
Roadkill - Cool tip, ya have a photo of the donut you carry?

Thanks....

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Great tip Ryan!

2 years ago I killed an elk in the afternoon. After boning him out and putting him in game bags I carried one load out with me and marked the other 3 bags with toilet paper and in my GPS. I came back the next morning with my brother to finish packing him out and even with him marked, it took me an hour and a half to find him.  He died in thick new growth aspens and the toilet paper just didn't stand out and the GPS could only get me within about 100 yds with the thick canopy.  We laugh about it now but my brother was getting pretty frustrated with me at the time.  If I hadn't packed the first load out the night before I don't think he would have believed I killed a bull at all.

Another time about 4 years ago I was stalking a mule deer above timberline.  When I was about 200 yds out I took my boots off and set them on a big rock.  I figured they'd be easy to find with no trees around.  2 hrs later after the stalk, I went back to get them and I'd have been embarrassed if anyone was around to see how long it took me to find them.  I was starting to think I'd be packing out bare footed.  

I think your tip might have saved me a little time and frustration in both situations.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks  I enjoy all your videos

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 11:53:00 AM »
I always use colored (not white) tp.  Also, I carry it in a ziplock bag, in case of rain or sweat.
Murray Seratt

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
I use white tp.  Once mine is colored I don't use it again.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Good tips.  By the way what app are you using on your iPhone.
Thank you!

I'm using the hunt app by onXmaps. They have some listed on the St. Judes auction.  http://auction1.tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=207;t=000107

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
Great tip Ryan!

2 years ago I killed an elk in the afternoon. After boning him out and putting him in game bags I carried one load out with me and marked the other 3 bags with toilet paper and in my GPS. I came back the next morning with my brother to finish packing him out and even with him marked, it took me an hour and a half to find him.  He died in thick new growth aspens and the toilet paper just didn't stand out and the GPS could only get me within about 100 yds with the thick canopy.  We laugh about it now but my brother was getting pretty frustrated with me at the time.  If I hadn't packed the first load out the night before I don't think he would have believed I killed a bull at all.

Another time about 4 years ago I was stalking a mule deer above timberline.  When I was about 200 yds out I took my boots off and set them on a big rock.  I figured they'd be easy to find with no trees around.  2 hrs later after the stalk, I went back to get them and I'd have been embarrassed if anyone was around to see how long it took me to find them.  I was starting to think I'd be packing out bare footed.  

I think your tip might have saved me a little time and frustration in both situations.
Thank you Aaron.

Yeah, I had one too many "uh oh"s in the field... LOL! The one "flag" in my pocket comes with me on every trip. I also have some extra small rolls in my pack.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
Thank you for the additional kind words. This may not be for everyone, but I just wanted to share as it's been a great tool for me.

Aloha!
Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©