3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brass Inserts  (Read 332 times)

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Brass Inserts
« on: June 01, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Hey guys, i have seen for a long time in set up specs " brass inserts". I need to weaken my heritage 150's up a bit, and was wandering where you fellas arr finding these 100gr inserts? I may just be overlooking them, but i cant find much anywhere. My buddy owns a bowshop, and is looking to stock up on then as well and hes running into the sAme issue. Thanks for the help!
Dalton
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brass Inserts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I use them in my carbon express 250's, got mine from Big Jim.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »
I use them in my carbon express 250's, got mine from Big Jim.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline trx63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
what are you shooting? they do not make they for all arrows. you should be able to find them at Big Jims, 3rivers, Lancaster.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
The Nocking Point and Big Jim's. I have them in all my arrows CE and GT.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
Stickbow supplies Jerry Dieweese did not spell his last name right he is top notch along with the others already posted. One thing to remember is that all are not created equal. Gold tip makes some but they are a lot longer then the ones I have gotten from Big Jim and Stickbow. The longer they are the more it stiffens your arrow. The great thing about the ones I get from these guys is that the 50gr and the 100gr spines the same so you can shoot either one and not change you tune between the two. The longer length of the 100 stiffens the arrow as much as the 50 extra grans weakens it so it is a wash. The ones I use have a real thick shoulder rim on them the part that sticks out of the arrow adds a lot of strength to the arrow. So pick 50 or 100 or both and have at it the best way to add weight to a arrow up front.    Widow

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
You can get them from BigJim.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Tim at Braveheart archery has em.

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
I got mine from 3rivers.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
widow sax- I would like to know more about this. ..  I have short 50gr and long 100gr and they spine quite different- not even close to equal.
I can agree that really long weighted inserts can have a different affect than the same wt. directly on the end.  I just do not see your equivalence with the .5" differences.  Educate me more. . .

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
three river has them, use on all arrows I build.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
If you happen to be shooting Gold Tip arrows, GT sells their own 100gr brass inserts. The other brands work too though.

Bisch

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
3 Rivers …. I just bought some for my FMJ's
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 03:46:00 AM »
Have you tried thinning down your strike plate yet?
It doesn't take much to makeup for a 100 grains of point weight on a strike adjustment.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
KSdan the brass inserts are from the same manufacture and in my gold tips and everyone I have worked with these inserts have had the same experience. I can take a 50gr and a 100gr and both arrows tune the same. I do not have any 50gr any more (settled on the 100gr)to measure the difference. My 100gr are 1 7/16" long from end to end. I paper tune my bows and they both tune the same you can not tell the difference they shoot the same bullet hole threw paper. I have had other people I know do the same and it was the same with there setup and others I have recommended it to on the trad sights. I do not know what inserts you have to be able to tell if yours are the same as mine or the same length I am not sure why you are not getting the same results.    Widow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
That's interesting. . . I have 100 gr that are about 1.5" and 50 gr that are half that length.  They bare shaft very different from my 32" arrows.  I used GTs pretty exclusive for a a few years.  I now like the Heritage 350s (.320 spine).  I use a modified version of O.L. Adcock's bare shaft tuning.  I can easily bare-shaft H350s with 250gr up front out to 30yds.

Thanks  
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
If they are from same manufacturer there should not be that much difference in length the back end is not hollow for your tip to screw into so it does not take as much length to get the extra 50gr as it does to get the first 50gr. I do not like Gold tips brass  insert it is way to long and stiffens your arrow way to much for my taste and forget the heavy aluminum they are way to long.   Widow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:00 PM »
widow-  

I always use the same inserts.  But I shave them down on a grinder to get the exact grain I want.  I start with the 1.75" 100 gr.  The 50 gr. comes out a little longer than half of the 100gr.

My former 5575 set up had 100s shaved down to 70gr. That 30gr made a big difference with bare shaft tuning.  Once a tuned bare shaft is fletched, I do not worry about 10 gr variance on the tip.    

So- there are basically 3 variables I use when I tune. 1) Spine of arrow.  2) Length of arrow. 3) Tip weight of arrow. (I know of rest alteration, brace ht. etc.- but I would rather not alter my bow if possible).

A 31.5" draw gives me little room for variance on 32" raw shafts.  This leaves me primarily with options #1-Spine and #3- Tip weight.    

Again- I am trying to understand how using 50 gr versus 100 gr was a "wash."  Even 100gr to 70gr made a difference for me.

Dan in KS

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Excellent help as always. We found some great inserts, and have them on the way, also got a great idea with set screws from gooserbat, cant wait to try it all!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©