3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nock Sizing  (Read 260 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Nock Sizing
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
When trying to get the correct fit of my arrow nock to my string, I have usually resorted to using sandpaper or a real small file.  I've also tried the hot water trick.
I recently came up with a new trick. I found an arrow with a good fitting nock and then started going through my drill bit index until I found a bit that slid snuggly into the nock.  I chucked the bit into my drill press, started it up and then took my arrows with new nocks and slowly pushed the nock into the cutting part of the rotating bit.
Worked like a charm.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nock Sizing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
That really does make a lot of sense for those of us who have a drill press...thanks

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
I imagine it would work with a hand drill as well, just secure either the arrow or the drill and basically do the same thing?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
IMO that's playing Russian roulette.  You are weakening the nock when you do that, and likely you won't get the groove centered.

To get a proper nock fit, use the right size serving.  It's that simple.  Might cost a few bucks up front, but in the long run it's way cheaper than a damaged bow or damaged archer.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 11:31:00 AM »
You're probably right Chad, but I'm not talking about nocks that are way off to begin with,  they are usually pretty close and I'm just fine tuning. If I was removing a lot of material then I would get a nock with a wider throat or do as you say, get my string served differently.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
I prefer to serve my strings to fit my nocks,there are so many different serving diameters and string material diameters.I like to have my serving end up around .108 to .110,I measure with my calipers.My nocks are Easton 3D Super nocks for most carbons and standard uni-bushing and large groove G-nocks,they both have a .098 throat and gives me a light snap.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
You don't need a drill press . I have done the same thing with a vice grip and use the drill by just pushing and pulling . One or two times and you have it .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tooltech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »
Never modify the Nocks...apply the correct diameter serving. If the Nock fails on launch real bad things will happen.
If you cannot learn from history you are doomed to repeat it...

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 04:41:00 PM »
Nocks can be carefully filed to fit without creating safety concerns, provided it's done carefully.  A small (thin) mill file works fine and allows more control than would a fast-spinning power drill bit.  Slower is definately better for this.  After 30 years of doing it I've had no issues yet with this method.  OTOH, using hot/boiling water to 'spread' nocks apart can definately stress/weaken them.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
I use two Emory boards and lightly drag them thru the Nock....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
Most of my bows are in the mid-40's and I can pretty much shoot all of my arrows from each of them.I have all the same nocks on my arrows - standard GTs - and I have my strings built to fit the standard GT nocks. An old man really likes simplicity.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©