3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting glove fit question - Update WOW!  (Read 323 times)

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting glove fit question - Update WOW!
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
I had John at American Leathers send me two of his new Big Shot Krossover (kangaroo) gloves, one in medium, and one in large.  I'm going to keep one, and send the other back.  

The question is, "Which one?"

My hand size is right in between the two, with the medium fitting perfectly on my fingers, but the finger stalls are just a hair too short.  I use a little bit deeper hook when I draw, so the string rides right at the end of the nylon insert.  It creates a pressure point on my finger and is a little bit uncomfortable when drawing, plus I wonder if it will end up affecting the cleanness of my release.  I know that the pressure point discomfort could go away as I become accustomed to it.

The large glove's finger stalls are long enough, but they are not as snug on my fingers.  I would be concerned that if I go with this one, the glove could get sloppy (loose) after breaking in.

Being new to shooting with a glove, if anyone has any helpful thoughts, I'd appreciate it!  I've already sent an email to John about it, but would like to know some others' opinions as well.

This is the first time I've seriously tried a shooting glove; I've used a tab for years.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting glove fit question - Update WOW!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Maybe they can custom make the finger stalls to work? Seems to me with what your saying the string could hang up on the inserts. he does not recommend removing the inserts as the string will cause a groove to develope.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
I've never found that the gloves get any looser with age. What they are is what they will always be. At least that has been my experience.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
Send them both back and have John make you a glove with longer stalls in it.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
I've used gloves always, but I have difficulty finding the perfect glove.  I like to get one that fits really tight from the beginning because my experience has been they will stretch slightly to fit just right (sorry Charlie).  

My favorite now is the ABS Super Glove which did take a while to break in, but now fits great and the cordovan tips wears like steel.
Lon Scott

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
If you have a proper fit, there's nothing to stretch, and thus no stretching that will change everything. If you have something to tight, there's pressure to stretch it until it hit's the limit.  My Buffalo Crossover fit's the same as when I got it, no stretch.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »
It seems to me the logical thing to do would be for you to keep both of them...you may want to modify each of them slightly to fit your needs and that may require using them for a while to see exactly what that entails...I understand they are a rather expensive glove but that also means that by the dividing the wear between the two of them you will be using them for a long time

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
My experience is that lightweight gloves, like damascus gloves, are stretch to fit, whereas heavier gloves, like American Leathers, need to be pretty close to a correct fit to start with.  Personally, I would get even an American Leathers glove a little on the snug side, as I hate a sloppy fit in shooting gloves.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
I like the Damascus glove and I want it to fit snug.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by bulldog18:
Send them both back and have John make you a glove with longer stalls in it.
By the way, I'd get on the phone with John and tell him you'd like to send back the gloves and then have him custom make a glove based on a phone conversation with you. I had a Buffalo Big Shot glove that didn't quite fit (I bought it in St Jude auction used and then resold it here on classifieds) but I used the description of the fit to talk John through the modifications needed. Thus when my Buffalo Crossover came it fit perfectly.  John keep his customer data on file so when I called him a couple of weeks ago to get the new Kangaroo Crossover, he said 'I just need your credit card info again because we keep all your other information on file'.  The new Kangaroo glove came with exact same fit.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
I just talked with John a little while ago, Ray, and that's exactly what we're going to do.  I'm having him make me one of his medium gloves, but with longer finger stalls.

John sure is a great guy, and is very accommodating.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
I've had gloves from many different types of leather, from goat to deer to kangaroo.  They have all stretched.

I used to buy them to fit, but after a while they got loose.  

Now I buy then so they fit very snug, and when broken in they are just right.

I buy gloves at shoots so I can try on lots of different ones, then pick the one that fits properly.  They can vary, even from the same maker and in the same size.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I just talked with John a little while ago, Ray, and that's exactly what we're going to do.  I'm having him make me one of his medium gloves, but with longer finger stalls.

John sure is a great guy, and is very accommodating.
Good call and plan. I'm happy to pay for quality and customer service and John/American Leathers represents both.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 01:09:00 AM »
That is great customer service!! I am looking forward to receiving my new glove.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
Talk about extreme customer service...

I came home today to find my new custom glove from John at American Leathers in the mail.  

Wow, that was fast, and it is great!

Thanks, John!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
I got mine yesterday, looking forward to using it tomarrow. I got one size smaller, small fingers big hand. I like the feel.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©