3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting from a canoe  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting from a canoe
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
  I will be hunting with a buddy in a remote spot this year, we are taking in 2 canoes with all of our gear. The plan is to use the canoes each day to go from our camp to our hunting spots.....I'm not sure if we will be actually hunting from the canoes though.  
Roger, when you're in the wild whether on the ground or in the water, stay vigilant because you're ALWAYS hunting.
El Lobo

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Yep.....   :bigsmyl:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
I will be hunting with a buddy in a remote spot this year, we are taking in 2 canoes with all of our gear. The plan is to use the canoes each day to go from our camp to our hunting spots.....I'm not sure if we will be actually hunting from the canoes though.
You and Greg will have a blast. Tent camping and canoes in Michigan's Upper Peninsula hunting whitetails is about as good as it gets.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

Roger, when you're in the wild whether on the ground or in the water, stay vigilant because you're ALWAYS hunting.
El Lobo

Hey El Lobo, that's one of those Hollywood 'body doubles' right?   :readit:  

[/b]

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 04:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:

Originally posted by Roger Norris:
You and Greg will have a blast. Tent camping and canoes in Michigan's Upper Peninsula hunting whitetails is about as good as it gets. [/b]
I think you need to come along Raymond....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
I find it interesting that in the picture of the indian in the canoe, he is a right handed shooter, shooting off of the right side of the bow rest, or his hand.

Anyone care to comment on why this would be ?
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Many Indians used a oriental release. Ishi shot that way too.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 10:52:00 AM »
I love hunting out of a canoe.  If you practice you can slowly paddle along without even lifting the paddle out of the water, Just turn the blade sideways and bring it forward, then a quarter turn and stroke back.  I keep a second paddle in the canoe so if a deer appears while I am paddling I can just drop the paddle and get ready with the bow, making no noise.  Do a lot of paddling this spring and summer to get your feel for the canoe and I think you will find them much more stable than people give them credit for.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline BUCK-EYE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
If you have the aug/sept 2014 issue of traditional bowhunter there is a great story written by Daniel Cote. He does a float trip down a creek in the U P. I have read that story 100 times! Very cool! I havent done a float trip like that, we tent it for 8-9 days in the western U P.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

Looks like trouble is brewing. Ron's got a spare quiver at the ready. Probably spotted a war party from the Widow tribe traveling on the Armstrong creek.   :rolleyes:    :eek:

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
I bowhunted geese from a kayak a while back and managed to sneak up for a kill.  My kayak tastes have gone more primitive since then and I'm anxious to try again from my latest build, which is a semi-replica of an Arctic hunting kayak.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2022, 03:28:22 PM »
Solo canoeing on smaller quiet waters is fun, best to get low and near the center of the boat, kneel for stability, some foam under the knees to improve comfort.  J-stroke or Canadien stroke to reduce wrist strain and noise, left side gunnel (for right handers) tilted toward the waterline for better control.  With bow and quiver on board and daylight breaking there's nothing more enjoyable for sneaking into otherwise hard-to-reach hunting spots.  Or just for some fun on days off.  Very relaxing.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2022, 04:06:10 PM »
My favorite way to access any hunt terrain is by canoe. Many times the animals do not expect anyone from the direction a canoe allows you to start hunting from.

Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline string bean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2022, 08:07:10 PM »
I would love one but I'm afraid it wouldn't get as much use as I'd like.
It's not about the kill but the experience.

Omega Royal Huntsman
Crowned Eagle
Black Hunter
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 03:07:10 AM »
Texas is a long way from The BWCA, but on our Quetico and Bdub trips we crossed paths with a good number of people from Texas.  We use canoes on Iowa rivers, got a few ducks doing that and paddling upstream in day light is not so difficult if you follow the upstream side of the eddies. Going down stream in the dark is always a real thrill when the beavers come out to say hello and then wack their tails along side the canoe. It is easier to float a deer a mile back to the car than to drag it. Not real sure what Texas has to offer for huntable water ways.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2022, 03:09:30 AM »
This is a requirement for all who go on canoe trips with us. That first big lakeisnot the place to learn how to paddle.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2022, 08:56:21 AM »
As a younger guy, I spent a lot of time in a canoe, including white water. I would never consider hunting from a canoe. I think it is very dangerous practice. Most of us are not steady enough to do it, and a dunking during hunting season can be deadly. I envy you guys who are good enough to pull it off, though, because a canoe can take you into a lot of places that would be difficult to walk to.
Sam

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2022, 11:58:31 AM »
We have gone on spring canoe trips while there was still ice in the bays, we have paddled area rivers that were icing up. One thing to remember very cold water can stop your ability to breathe even if your head is dry. also, you don't float as easy in 39 degree water as you would in 70 degree water.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2022, 06:39:32 PM »
This is a pretty old thread but since it’s back up I wanna comment about the tippy ness some guys claimed. Certain canoes are no way no how tippy. Old town discovery is one boat I used as a young man. Think it was 168, anyhow I’d paddle with a rod between my legs standing up. Once where I wanted to cast I’d switch rod for paddle. No issues standing the whole time and no issues bowfishing from it.
I’ve since sold that canoe and bought a 158 discovery. Foot shorter but every bit as stable with plenty of room for gear plus a jet sled drug behind allows even more.
Now a discovery may not be tippy with plenty of room for a deer but it doesn’t glide through the water as well as others with its flatter bottom so that’s a trade off. If used in easy water, especially just to access a spot it’s be fine imo but if it is a tippy canoe I’d pass to hunt from
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©