3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Achery schools- Rick Welch  (Read 334 times)

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
Achery schools- Rick Welch
« on: June 02, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Hello to all. I am new to the traditional sport of archery. I would like to get off on the right foot and proper training to become a better shot. I have seen on yt Rick Welches school. Has anyone attended and care to share feedback? I'd prefer something recent. I've seen many yt videos and the students are shooting expectional. I was just looking for some more recent feed back. Thank you.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Achery schools- Rick Welch
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I had a close friend of mine attend Rick Welch's training session and it made a tremendous difference in his shooting form..... I'd love to go take that one in myself. i like the guys style.

Highly recommend it....

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
Everyone that has gone to Rick's school has praised him up, so he must be doing something right.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
Just returned from a two day clinic/hog hunt Rick put on near Abilene, Texas. I tend to pay a visit to him every 2-3 years for a tune-up. Took my first course from him maybe 6-7 years ago. Best archery money I ever spent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:29:00 PM »
Kirkll,The Whittler, & McDave thank you all for your input. I truly appreciate it. After shooting a compound for 27yrs and this Traditional all New (but man what a blast!!) to me I'm debating between the 2 or 3 day course. Anyone's thoughts are appreciated if your feel I may get enough outta the 2 day.

Offline John Fragale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
I took his 2 day class October 21&22 2014. I bought his dvd Accuracy Factor and practice his shooting method for 6 months before i went to his class. I thought i could just buy his dvd and that would be it. I was wrong, you learn so much at his class. He points out all your bad habits and teaches you how to fix them. Best money i have ever spent on archery. Like McDave said i'am going back down for a tune up class. My bow was to short for me at 58" and was stacking on me. I did not know, i had a 31" draw with Rick's method. Rick said i should have a 64" bow. I shot one of his bows while i was down there. I bought one of his bows, with 2 sets of limbs. Best thing i ever did. Having the right equipment makes a big difference. Good Luck you will enjoy it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Two days is about all I could absorb in the first course.  It's pretty intense. In most classes, you do your thing for a few minutes and then watch other people do their things until it's your turn again. In Rick's class, you're under the microscope all day, or half of all day if there is another student (I actually prefer it when there is another student).

Rick's method really is different from most other methods you might study.  It is a disservice both to other methods and to Rick's method to try to blend them.  That's why I needed to come back again and again: I would use Rick's method during the class and leave the class shooting pretty good, and a year later I wasn't shooting so good and I wondered why.  Two years ago, Rick spent all of the first day and part of the second trying to show me that I wasn't using his method. When the light finally dawned on me, I suddenly started shooting better.  This time, I had really tried to stick with Rick's method, and so it really was just fine tuning a few things that I needed to improve on.

Rick's method isn't for everyone, or maybe even most people, but it works for me better than anything else I have tried.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
John thanks !!! I to picked up the DVD to start a bit so I may be better prepared for the school. Yes it certainly seems he addresses EVERY aspect, something you don't get around here by our archery shops.
McDave I am open to Ricks method as I want to be pure instinctive while hunting. I have started with his hold and anchor and I'm fine with that. It seems he helps people get dialed in and shooting nicely fairly quickly. I would rather learn a correct way that works while stating out, than develope a lot of bad habits an instructor will have to fix.

Thank you again to all the responses-Great forum, Great people

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I can't help you with Rick's class, but I just came back from a Rod Jenkins class and I think 2 days was appropriate. By the end of the second day, I wanted to get back home and get started on my form work. I'd like to attend again sometime, but hope that by then it will be, as McDave said, a tune-up, or some fine tuning.

I really feel like I now have a clear picture (for the first time since I started shooting) of what I should be doing. Now I need time to "burn it in" before taking more instruction.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Bladepeek- thanks I appreciate your thoughts on the length of training. I'd be heading down from the Chicago area so 2-3 will be enough I feel. Then when needed the refreshers as some of the others have mentioned. And of course lots of practice at all times. How was Jenkins course?

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
I think my last sentence pretty well sums it up. I know Rod and Rick have different styles, but both are accomplished archers and instructors.

The class made a huge difference. I've been lapping up all of Moebow's wisdom in the Form Forum. I've watched the first 3 of the Masters of the Bare Bow series, and really thought I was getting it right, but somehow I just wasn't consistent. Having someone actually show me the difference between the way I've been doing it and the way I THOUGHT I was doing it made all the difference.

Plus, I could see others making some of my mistakes and being corrected and that helps a lot too - being able to look at someone else doing it wrong and what they have to do to make it right.

Rod wants his students to spend a minimum of 3 weeks on just blind bale shooting to really get the form down perfect and get it burned in until you can't do it wrong.

I suspect I may not be the only one in the class who, after working on form at 3 yards, sneaks back to 15 yards to see if there was any improvement. Wow! What a difference. But I really only cheat for a few shots and only after my blind bale work is completed perfectly each day.

The rest of this week on blind bale and then I will start the bridging program. By the time I work my way back to 20 yards, I should be ready to give my buddies a run for their money at our next 3-D shoot and I just KNOW I will be more confident in the deer woods this fall.
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Blade thank you again. Sounds like a great course and a lot of fun with others around. I'll look into Jenkins a bit before making a decision. Thanks

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
Both of them are masters at their crafts (shooting and teaching) and I don't think you could go wrong either way. I think the "live" class room and hands on experience will be worth every cent you spend.

It really helps when you start out on a solid foundation. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Good luck.

Ron
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Bladepeek thanks again. I will be scheduling something in the nest week or so. My bow is due to arrive today. I ordered a Bodnik Slick Stick to start. I am going to get a little feel for it along with hopefully attending Comptons Traditional Shoot in Mich the weekend of June 19-20. Then pull the trigger and go to either one. Thanks again.

Bill

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
Rick's class was the best thing i ever did for my trad shooting.  He will improve your shooting and confidence.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline roadking1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
manitou thank you for the feedback. My bow arrived yesterday Bodnik Slick Stick, to start. I am going to practice Ricks form and routine on his DVD and then try and schedule some time soon depending on his schedule and mine. Did you change up your anchor and hold like his? I can do 3 under and anchor on the ear, but string hits my nose sometimes. I did re-fletch my arrows last night and set the feathers a little farther back hoping to cure the issue. Thanks again,

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
Yes, i changed to Rick's form.  He actually suggests that you rotate you knock a bit and anchor, thumb on base of ear and nose touching the back of the fletching.  Gives you a very repeatable anchor point with two anchors.
You will learn a LOT more than the DVD offers since Rick will be there looking over your shoulder. He has a natural knack for teaching and will i.d. your deficiencies withing minutes.  Your 3D score will raise considerably in just two days of training.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 08:48:00 PM »
+1 Manitou.  Once you learn basic form, the things that will help you the most are the things that you don't think of on your own. We all have different things that we are not doing correctly that we are blind to.  For me, it was picking up my head. I still am not aware of when I pick up my head, but Rick taught me how to recognize when I'm doing it, even though I can't feel it directly, and what to do to stop doing it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Well for what its worth I bumped into Rick a couple days ago at a shop near his home in AR.  Shot his bows for a few minutes and had a good visit.  He impressed me as a good guy with solid ideas based on his real world experience.  I to would like to attend a class.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©