3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEXT BUILD: What do you think??  (Read 294 times)

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
NEXT BUILD: What do you think??
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:18:00 PM »
So I have really been pondering my next build and want to hear what you think!

I am really wanting a two piece hybrid style longbow with a thumb rest and have narrowed it down to 3 bows:

Cari-bow Wolverine 58" t/p

centaur dark matter triple carbon elite t/p 58"

javaman elkhart 58" t/p

Please share your thoughts and experiences especially if you have handled all of the above!

Thanks in advance.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEXT BUILD: What do you think??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
WHAAAAT, no Toelke Whip in that pile of picks?????

I say shoot them all and decide.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
maybe a Whip should be added to the mix...

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
Yes it should  :)

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:48:00 PM »
I just got a two piece featherhorn.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=144678  

I love the grip!  I had Abe install a beavertail grip on the bow.  The thumb rest he incorporates is spectacular and makes for a very natural pointing weapon with repeatability.

I wanted a tool free takedown and did not want to have to settle on a micarta riser.    

I have not shot the wolverine, but I have heard great things about it.  My vote is for the Caribow, but I would not dismiss a Big Jim either.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I have owned 2 out of the 3 of what you are thinking as well as a Toelke whip and honestly the toelke is the best shooting bow FOR ME.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

I received an amazing tall tines stickfinger a few months back and am more than ecstatic with it, but of course now I feel the need for a 2 piece "stick" bow.

whip: I have heard nothing but great things about their shoot-ability and like the very narrow limb look but am afraid it would be physically light coming from a seasoned recurve turned longbow shooter.

centaur: like the idea of the high performance of carbon and the heft of the dark matter plus thumbrest stippling and would most likely add skins.

cari-bow: I have always heard good things and think they are aesthetically pleasing especially with alot of antler accents, quality woods and beavertail grips.

Javaman: A new to me, highly talked about bow.. like the idea of weight with the phenolic bolt design as well as aesthetic appeal.

Note to Above: Big jim is an amazing bowyer and have owned a thunderchild that was an amazing shooter! However I could never get used to the large straight grip. Coming from a recurve shooter   my thumb as always floating.

Keep it coming guys!

And not looking for "shoot them all," more looking for personal experience.

Just conversation!

Note: this build is likely to be for my 30th birthday which is over a year away and not really concerned about the wait.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Another note:

I draw 27"

prefer 55#

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I've owned a 58" Elkheart T/D and a few centaurs though not a triple carbon.  Can't speak to the Caribow, I had one a long time ago but don't remember which model it was.  I can't stand how loud bows with carbon sound to me, so the centaur would be out for me, unless he would build you a glass two piece, that would be cool.  I ended up selling my Elkheart because I never could get it as quiet as my recurves.  I loved the grip and how smooth the limbs were but after about a year of tinkering I gave up on it.  If you add the Whip to the mix, and you should, it'll take a 62-64" whip to shoot like a 58" centaur or Elkheart.  With both bolt and phenolic it'll weigh about like the others.  I've owned a bunch of longbows but in the end I prefer the 50's style recurves I started with.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
I have had the pleasure of 1 Shrew CH, a Java Man Elkheart, 3 Centaurs including a Dark Matter, a Cari-bow Wolverine, and 3 Whips...so if you'd like to talk about them all on the phone sometime, PM me.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
Good comments and feedback above for sure!  I have or currently do own the 3 you're considering in addition to a Whip.  PM or call anytime.

This choice is all about personal preference.  What is best for you may not be best for me or the next guy.  You got to decide for yourself in the end.

If I had to place a bet I would say you will be happiest with the Wolverine, second is the Elkheart.  My reasoning is only that Abe's bows finish and quality is top notch (others are too), great performing bows and they have the most mass riser and a little more weight to them of the three you mentioned.  Wolverine is a fuller grip with a more pronounced thumb rest and the easiest transition from a recurve in my opinion.  My Tuktu grip with thumb rest fits like a glove!!

I owned 2 Centaurs and sold them both just due to not loving the grip and can shoot other bows better.  Had a Whip and was very impressed with how it shot but could not get use to such a skinny , low mass riser.  The bowyers I have spoke to about carbon have said that honestly the increase in performance is minimal and they wouldn't bother putting carbon in their personal bow.  You will notice the feel of the grip in your had a heck of a lot more than the layer of carbon IMO.  I have carbon in one bow I currently own and it is a high end bow, the carbon make a very minimal difference to me.

Good luck you can go wrong with the 3 mentioned.  Also, those bowyers are good guys.  Give Abe, Gregg and Jim a call and talk about what your looking for.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
Great info guys, thank you so much!

Keep it coming!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Jack for once I disagree with you.  The Wolverine I had was a most diminutive proportioned bow in my opinion.  A great shooter and nicely made but the riser is certainly not weighty or chunky on a hardwoood model.  When I first unpacked the one I tried I chuckled to myself that it had the feel of a youth bow but one of 50+ pounds draw weight.  A hardwood riser Shrew or Elkheart is not much more massive, but have a little fuller grip.  And really of the ones originally mentioned its the Centaurs that tend to have the more recurve-like grip.  Trad you and I really should chat.  Btw Dark Matter is 30% heavier than phenolic.  Food for thought.  Like I said, I can give you a first hand account of all of them via phone if desired Trad'.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks! I'll send you a PM tomorrow and exchange contacts.

Info had been great!

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
No problem Nine.  I respect your opinion.  I own a Tuktu and has a Perigrine.  Shot a Wolverine 2 years ago.  Wolverine is same limb design as Perigrine with shorter riser.  I liked my Centaurs (to short for me), love my Elkhart one pc. (Gregg is awesome!) And a Whip is a high performance very quiet bow.  I feel for sure of these the Wolverine has the largest riser, fuller grip and slightly larger thumb rest so thought is would be the one a recurve guy would like.  Maybe I am wrong?  Good news is with these three you can't to wrong.  Wish we could see pic and measurements of all side by side.

The reason I gave Centaur and second chance was due to your glowing recommendations but as I said it is a very personal choice and they just were not for me personally.  I like the smaller bows I have but the bigger riser 3 pc. bows will always be my favorites personally.

Good luck with your choice!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©