3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carp story  (Read 256 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Carp story
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
When I was about 18 years old ,I was hot and heavy into bow fishing .
My grandpa told me that carp that are not very big and the water still cold in the spring are good eating . And he told me to get one and bring it to him and he would clean it and cook it for us .
Well about a week later I got a small carp that was about 14 inches long . Got it to grandpas house with it still alive . He cleaned it , explaining how to cut the mud line off and boned it out and cut it into 1 inch wide strips .
Now my aunt that was my dads older sister stopped by and offered to make us dinner and grandpa cooked the carp .
He rolled it in corn meal and salt and pepper . Fried it to a beautiful golden brown .
My aunt made spinach and potatoes with a dish of mixed fruit .
Wow the table looked wonderful .
We all took a piece of fish and a serving of all else .
I took a bite of the carp , I looked at my aunt who had done the same .
It was a mouth full of strong mush nasty fishy CRAP !    :p  
My aunt and I sat there looking at my grandpa who kept eating the piece of carp , and we were in disbelief .
He finished the piece of carp and said " That don't taste like I remember it . "
My aunt said " Dad , if that tasted just like a turd , you would have still ate it ."    :eek:  
To this day I have still not eaten a carp .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carp story
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
I can relate Graps but not to carp. Myself and a friend, we were both about 17 got ahold of a bottle of Southern Comfort we drank it and I thought I was gonna CROAK! To this day at 57 Yrs old I cannot even look at any of the hard stuff.  :scared:  

Anyway,I would bring carp home and my dad would bone it out and grind it up. He had spices and a cornmeal mixture and made pattys out of them. Then he fried them up. They were delicious.     Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Bow fishing is a blast ain't it? I've always tried saving a few for coon bait and couldn't imagine eating em! Lol. Ever tried gar??

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
I've eaten gar and it's very good. Snakehead also.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Possumjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
I get a few bowfin and gar every year, I'll have to give em a whirl

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Graps, here's a recipe for carp I got from a friend which he called “Bricked Carp.”  

Scale and gut the carp and split it into two halves.  Place a brick between the two halves and cover them with onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper.   Wrap the fish in tin foil and bake in an oven for two hours.  

Unwrap carefully, throw away the carp, and eat the brick.

Yep, every recipe I've tried for carp makes me ill...but I sure love fishing for'em with a bow.

Lon Scott

Offline EWill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
I ate carp as a kid when I'd stay at a friends house. The folks would clean them real good and then grind the meat and bones up as fine as possible and make fish patties with them. Tarter sauce and a kids appetite helps a lot of things seem "tasty".
"It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Romans 9:16 (NIV)

I don't like to be high, low, left, or right.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
I've been told that eating bowfin or grindle-mudfish in Florida-is like trying to eat a mouthful of cotton.  Never could bring myself to try one.  Tried carp, once!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Graps, here's a recipe for carp I got from a friend which he called “Bricked Carp.”  

Scale and gut the carp and split it into two halves.  Place a brick between the two halves and cover them with onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper.   Wrap the fish in tin foil and bake in an oven for two hours.  

Unwrap carefully, throw away the carp, and eat the brick.

Yep, every recipe I've tried for carp makes me ill...but I sure love fishing for'em with a bow.

I have heard that recipe before , the only difference is you use a oak board .    :laughing:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
I bet its the best oak board and brick you guys have ever eaten.

I tried eating Carp once, It was awful however I do admit to not knowing what I was doing.  

If I had a clean body of water, I would try eating one again.  I like the patty idea....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
The "eat the board, or brick" story surfaces in just about every discussion of cooking carp I have heard and has for at least the last 60 or so years I have been around outdoorsmen.

I suspect it is something new to the younger guys and they think they are telling us a funny we haven't heard before.

Every time I see the word "carp" in a thread title I think, "here it come again" and it always does.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©