3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When the Stars Align  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When the Stars Align
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
:campfire:  

Hope you find him....

Great Read so far!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
We got up at around 6 and got ready to go searching for the stag. Mark asked if I wanted him to bring his rifle. I said yes, as I thought there would be nothing worse than to see him run off and not find him and to die a slow death. Emma decided to tag along as well, as Mark was bringing both dogs, Duke the black Labrador and Belle the chocolate Labrador.

Ben decided to go for a quick look for a deer, and would call us on the radio when he wanted to catch up with us. We got to the place where we found the last blood spot, and straight away Mark said “He’s gone this way, you can see his marks”. I had to take his word for it, as he took off in the direction pointing out blood along the way.

He had the dogs with him, but Duke wasn’t paying attention and was getting in the way a bit, so Emma took him and held him back a bit. I was following and marking the blood with the GPS along the way. After about 100 meters we lost the trail, so Mark took Belle out in wide circles to try and cut his path.

I stayed on the last sign with Emma and Duke, and we searched all the tunnels in the Coprosma thicket, looking for blood. After about 10 minutes, Mark called out that he found the trail again. We went about nearly 100 meters and caught up with Mark. There were only half a dozen drops over about three meters and it disappeared again.

I Marked it again and looked for the next spot while Mark and Belle went wide again. We tried to get Duke interested in looking by showing him the blood, but he didn’t really get enthused. At one stage I held up a leaf with some good blood on it, only for Duke to eat the leaf, wag his tail and look at me to say “That was nice, got any more?”

Mark had no luck finding any marks or blood, so he went out ahead to see if the stag had crossed an old bulldozed track. As he walked along the track, Belle started to pull him along by the lead. She had smelt where the stag crossed the track. Mark was very happy that she was getting the hang of it. It was a promising sign that the stag had crossed the track, because he was headed downhill towards the open farmland. If he was not hurting, he would have headed up the hill and into the steep thick bush.

Ben got in touch and came over to join the search, unfortunately he had no luck with the deer. Once we were on the trail again, there was good blood and quite a few big patches of bubbles. The trail led through an impressive patch that had some huge scrapes 6ft wide. Fifty meters further on the trail disappeared again. We stopped and had a break, as we had been going for about an hour.

I had a look at the GPS and saw that we had gone nearly 400 meters from the shot. I was starting to worry that we would not find him, Ben and Mark seemed optimistic but after what happened last night with the first stag, I only hoped for the best outcome but was preparing myself for the worst...

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
This is a great story so far.............
Make a life, not a living

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
On pins and needles
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
Mark went out wide again, looking for the trail again, and Ben went looking along the game trail that the last blood was on. I was at the last blood with Emma and Duke, and feeling pretty average. I couldn’t believe that the trail had just vanished again, so I was on hands and knees looking for the next drop.

After looking at almost every leaf and blade of grass within a two meter radius, I stopped at a coprosma thicket. I looked up to see a patch of blood and bubbles over a foot high that had been wiped on the coprosma as the stag snuck through a tunnel. I yelled out to Ben, and he came over. He went around the other side of the small patch and I could see two more patches of blood and bubbles along one of the three tunnels.

I pointed out to Ben where the stag should have exited, and he called out to Emma to come over. I was asking is there blood over there, and he said “Yeah there’s some blood”. I pushed my way over to them and Ben said “I think he went that way”. I looked to where he was pointing, and ten meters away laid a Sambar stag.

We had been sitting only twenty meters from him for the last ten minutes. I couldn’t believe it, I couldn’t even talk. Ben did that for me and more as he yelled, swore, yahooed and generally what he refers to as “Frothing out”. He was backslapping me and saying “you did it”. I walked over and knelt beside the stag, and placed my hand on him to make sure it was real.

I looked up at Ben and Emma and said “This is real isn’t it?”

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
We called out to Mark and when he arrived it was just a great moment to have everyone there. As I usually hunt on my own, it was great having Ben there to share such big a moment with another bowhunter and to have Mark and Emma there too, who had been so incredibly generous with their hospitality. To me it was and still is a real team effort, none of this would have happened without the help of these three amazing people.

As it turned out the arrow hit him on the crease of the shoulder a third of the way up angling forward, and the broadhead actually had exited the opposite side just behind the shoulder joint, perfectly quartering “the triangle”. I couldn’t have hit him any better and that was relief knowing that I did my part.
The roller coaster of hitting and losing the first stag, then going a sleepless night, and for us all to be there to find him - I honestly don’t think the whole thing could have been scripted any better. There were so many sliding doors moments that lead to taking this stag. From meeting Mark and Emma by chance, and having that branch in front of the first stag which lead to me aiming forward and hitting the shoulder blade.  If I shot that stag, I wouldn’t have came across the second bigger stag- It’s unbelievable what can happen when the stars align.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Amazing, Congrats on a great hunt and follow up!!!!!
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Great story . Congrats to the great story teller.

Felt like I was there!!

Man I want to hunts those critters!

Well done and congrats to you and your mates
Make a life, not a living

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »
Great hunt! Way to stay with it, good job.   :archer2:

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
:notworthy:  

wow, many congrats mate. an achievement of the highest order. well deserved.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
What a beautiful animal, great job! Thanks for taking the time to share the story, I really enjoyed it.
  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Very cool, congrats!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Great Story.  Congrats on Finding your stag and sharing the moment wit Friends.

That is an incredibly beautiful creature, and like Jim I would love to hunt them. It looks as if your country is most beautiful.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2015, 07:40:00 AM »
Congrats on the stag, beautiful animal.
  Thanks for sharing the tale!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Best story in quite some time. Congrats!!!

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
please write a book!
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
Good job!
Beauty of a Stag. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Great read and congrats to you Sir.  That is one fine animal.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline DDawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Wow Great Story!  
Is it September yet?? I'm ready to Hunt!
Chuck Norris had a Grizzly Bear rug in his room...The Bear wasn't dead,  just to afraid to move...
PBS Associate Member
60" , 45# Holm-Made River Runner

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Awesome awesome event.  I caught myself holding my breath a couple of times.  Congrats!  Thank you so much for sharing your story.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©