3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Interior tent lights..( and skinning light)  (Read 604 times)

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Interior tent lights..( and skinning light)
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I plan on camping/hunting this fall and am in the process of getting a list of supplies. I don't have anything fancy tent wise just a basic Coleman style tent. I got most everything I need but was curious what light source I could use for inside the tent.. Maybe an electric lantern or real lantern ? Push button type light or just a flashlight ( but want something hands free)? I got a few ideas but wanted to ask those who camp quite often . Thanks

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Interior tent lights..( and skinning light)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
I've used a Black Diamond Orbit lantern the past several years to good service. I purchased it for backcountry/ultralight use, but I've also used it with the kids on a handful of backyard/car-camping type outings and it works great.

I'm only using it for reading at night and to provide enough light to see inside the tent. For its size and cost (apx. $25) it's exceeded my expectations. I believe Black Diamond also makes some larger versions that might better suit your uses....

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I just use a cheap Coleman electric lantern to change clothes to go to bed. I keep a small flashlight handy for emergencies. I also keep a pee jar in the tent so I don't have to struggle out of it in the middle of the night or early morning.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
I mostly use my flashlight. It is a fenix pd30 and has a light diffuser attachment. I hang it from the top loop in my tent and it gives me enough to dress and read a little.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »

This is the one that is always in my pack.  Great for extra lighting when setting camp or dressing an animal.  Wrap around a branch, tent pole or hang from a guy line or loop.  Three AA batteries, pretty light weight for the amount of light it throws.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I use a small Coleman LED lantern.  It doesn't take up much room and is plenty bright enough for my large dome tent.

+1 on the pee bottle.  Make sure it holds enough to get through the night
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Good deal,  I'll look into these . I appreciate the tips .

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
A candle lantern is all you need, it will give plenty of light inside a tent and extra candles don't take up much room.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
I've done a lot of backpack camping trips and we always tried to save weight.  I bought a good flashlight and we just ran t on the low setting with a diffuser on the tip for lighting inside the tent or around camp.  Puts out a good amount of light given the size.  

Offline dnurk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 02:31:00 PM »
Duplicate post.  delete please

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
LUCI solar light, check it out.
Thom

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
x2 on the LUCI light.  If you don't know what it is, please check it out.  Lots of lumens, lightweight, never needs a battery and packs very small.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 03:33:00 PM »
Ron, that is a cool lantern.  I may try to make one.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
I have a grease lamp or Betty Lamp as some call it. It's small and takes up hardly any room in your pack. I use it when I'm packing very light with just a small canvas for a lean-to shelter. It's fueled with the grease or oil from your fry pan (my pan is small with a folding handle).. the wick burns bright and gives off as much light as you need. If you have a chunk of slab bacon in your pack you'll have plenty of fuel.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Sounds like car camping to me. I'd suggest a small Coleman lantern. Makes a lot of light for little fuel and has the benefit of giving off heat for those chilly fall mornings.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
 Sounds like car camping to me. I'd suggest a small Coleman lantern. Makes a lot of light for little fuel and has the benefit of giving off heat for those chilly fall mornings.  
Hey Charlie ya don't need heat, that's what they make long johns for.      :biglaugh:

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Charlie x 2.  I like the heat and the light- a plus for me.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
Toughen up guys, light a few more candles if you need heat.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Long John's? What are those?    ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©