3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Super Shrew vs Model T  (Read 839 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Super Shrew vs Model T
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

I've been wanting to try a shrew for some time now.
I'm pretty sure I'm ready to pull the trigger.

I'm trying to decide between the 60" Super Shrew or the Model T.

If there's anyone around here that has shot both types I'd really like to hear from you how they compare.

My favorite length of bow thus far has been 62"..right in the middle of these two..lol
I only draw 28"...but I really like the feel of the string angle on longer bows.
I have no want for a shorter one.

Also, I'm thinking of having it made with a heavy riser wood..like kingwood or snakewood.

I'm thinking it would make quite a difference on the model T.
..not sure if it would add much weight to the Super shrew as the riser is so small anyway.

Love to hear your thoughts Gang.

Thanks     :thumbsup:    

John
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Shrew vs Model T
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
I don't believe I've ever seen a model "T". Anyone care to share some pics?
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
I had a 58" Super Shrew Gold and had a 64" Model T with carbon&foam limbs.I shot the Model T better,I like longer bows and the T had alittle more mass weight then the 58" Super Shrew.Both shot great but for me I preferred my Model T.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
---Post edited to keep all parties from having a myocardial infarction---  jeez Louise
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
To add a bit to Nineworld's post - and he knows his bows - I had a 58" Falcon ( brother/sister of the super shrew ) and absolutely loved it. I draw 28", or a hair less. I sold it out of necessity, not out of disliking it. I also like a gentle string angle more than max efficiency. I'd get a 60" in a heartbeat now, if i could. Samw would go for a Super Shrew. Elkheart or Classis Hunter, I'd go 58".

the grip on these bows melt in your hand. "Repeatable" would be an understatement.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
 Call or email Gregg Coffey at Java Man Archery. He's the progenitor of both those Shrew models  
Let's give credit where credit is due. Greg is not the progenitor of the Shrew bows.
The Super Shrew was designed by myself and John McCullough long before Greg came on board to help make Shrew bows.

The Model-T was my idea and I instructed Greg on it's design. The first Model-T that Greg made for me I had to redesign the grip with plastic wood to get good arrow flight. The Model-T's that followed were made in that fashion.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Really Chuck?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
Oh that's better Chuck.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Always wanted to try a T. I have owned half a dozen Super Shrews. My favorite was a 60" model. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Shrew. Great Bows!!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
I'm really not hesitating to pull the trigger....just trying to figure out which target to shoot for...lol

:)
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
I caught my own fact flub before y'all even did, just didn't have time to go back and edit it soon enough because I was fixing the family supper.

Instead of giving me a chance to correct my mistake or just sending me a PM...???  Sheesh.

Ron, you're a household name in this hobby/sport, I really don't think you need to worry sir. You're much admired by 33 year old archers such as myself.  I will say this, it's young whippersnappers such as myself that are carrying the torch now, just food for thought before you pass judgement.  

You know its funny, I have taken my Java Man bow to a number of shoots since Gregg built it last year for St. Jude's and I have had all kinds of strangers walk up and ask about the bow who have never seen one or any other Shrew/ Shrew-type bow, because lets face it, the majority of trad archers in the US do not shoot custom bows...and every time I have ended up joyously giving them a mini - history lesson on tradbow/ Shrew origins based on what I have learned and the LaClair DNA is always included, always, how could it not?..along with info about McCullough, Gregg, and now Chuck, and the person(s) always walk away fascinated and enriched and I tell them to go home and Google up a storm.  Those folks learn more and then maybe they tell someone else, and the Shrew concept expands it's horizons just a little bit more...this is a good thing no???      :archer2:      :rolleyes:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
I'm really not hesitating to pull the trigger....just trying to figure out which target to shoot for...lol

:)  
I hear ya. The best option would be to shoot both if possible. Have fun making your decision and keep us up to date.    :archer2:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 08:46:00 PM »
Fact Flub or flagrant thread high-jack?
(that's a rhetorical question)
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Zradix,
Just went over to Mr. LaClair's site and saw the Model T for the first time. VERY sweet looking bow. Guess I'd wonder how long the riser is on it, compared to the Super Shrew. Also if the limb design is the same. I'm thinking those elements of design will affect the string angle quite a bit, relative to the string angle?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
They are interesting aren't they?

Not sure on all the specifics yet.
I sent Mr. LaClair  an email and I'm sure I'll know a lot more after reading what he has to say.

From looking at pictures only..
It SEEMS the S. shrew has a more handle forward design which I'd think would really help keeping the bow pointed easily.

It may just be an illusion though, as what I THINK really counts is how far in front of the fades the grip is.

I'm just looking for a nice easy shooting bow.
A bow that really feels good in my hands during the entirety of the shot....just like everyone else I guess...lol

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Yup, Ron is the father of the "Shrew" style bow. I remember in the mid nineties when he was designing and working with his early bowyer's on the first Shrews. Our good friend Greg Nicolaou still has his first 56"  Super Shrew longbow from 1996 that John McCullough made.  The first reflex deflex forward handle longbow I ever had was a Tim Miegs Duoflex however that was a 66" bow back in the late eighties.  Ron didn't make the bows but he developed and instructed the concepts and modifications.  He's had some great craftsmen building bows for him and have certainly helped bring ideas to fruition.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
Sorry double post
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
No my OP wasn't meant to be a high-jack at all Chuck, I gladly admit to getting a few facts mixed up and I made the necessary edit.

However, one thing that has me curious now is that Zradix never said whether his OP concerned bows on the USED market, or NEW bows??  As far as I know neither the Super Shrew or Model T are currently in production and Ron's site has not been updated to that effect.  If this is not the case, and you are building models beyond the Classic Hunter for Ron then that is sensational news and a site update would be a super way to spread the word.  

The fascinating thing is that if you consider Ron has now had what three or four different bowyers build Shrews for him, yourself included, and you consider all of the other bows out there built in the "Shrew likeness" then as a whole when discussing Shrews we're almost talking about a whole stand-alone style of bow!  Whoa!  Consider that!  All brand/business aspects aside I'd say its pretty darned special to think that Ron in effect created a style of bow.  

With so many short bow fans today, if Ron's site had a section that really and truly fleshed out the whole history of the Shrew design from start to finish with a detailed summary of each era in evolution and bowyer involved would really add to the legacy.  Speaking as young folk here I can't stress enough how key Web stuff is today, heck TG is a prime example.

That being said I'm also curious that I've not yet seen anything on the Two Tracks site spotlighting the latest Shrews?  Gotta get the word out brotha!

This thread actually has me thinking we need a "Shrew Bug" thread where we can all pow-wow about all them lovely early Shrew, McCullough, Coffey, and the new Deschler bows     :D           :archer2:
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 10:11:00 PM »
nineworlds9 ..

I am thinking new.

Your post certainly points to the possibility that shrews aren't being made anymore.

I truly hope this isn't the case.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Mr. Deshler,

Are you the current builder of Shrew bows?

...I must admit, this thread has taken some unexpected turns.   :eek:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©