3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Local Trad Shop Is Gone  (Read 412 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
My Local Trad Shop Is Gone
« on: June 04, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
I've been fortunate in having a traditional archery shop within about six miles of where I live for the past 30 years, and you couldn't ask for nicer, more knowledgeable people to deal with.

They had downsized, and closed their range some time ago, and their place has been for sale.

It had been a month or so, since I'd last been there, and when I drove by yesterday I noticed a moving sale sign in front of the shop.

I stopped in to look around, but more to talk to my old friends than anything else

I knew they were moving, but I was surprised to learn that they're moving to Washington, and plan to open a trad shop there.

I jokingly told George and his wife that I've been a loyal customer for 30 years, but Washington was a little farther than I cared to drive for my arrows and other things. He reminded me that he ships all over the US.

We talked for a while and I hated to leave, knowing it would more than likely be the last time I saw them.

I forget the name of the town in Washington they said they were moving to, but I know it's somewhere in the northern part of the state.

I'm not sure if it's ok to mention the name of their shop here so I won't, but if you live in the northern part of Washington, and they open their new shop close to you, you can consider yourself lucky.

I hate to see them go after all these years, but I wish them the best.

Bob

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Local Trad Shop Is Gone
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
I experienced the same thing in 2001. Very sad to see knowledgeable and good friends go.     Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
I miss the shoots they had in the winter there.

I hope George and his wife enjoy being with family in Washington.

Best of luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
The Catlin's are good folks, top shelf!! I don't blame them wanting to get out of this state and be close to their kids. George has been at this game for a long, long time. I already miss his shop..........I hope they do well.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
Wow , lost mine just this last October .

:confused:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
At least you guys were lucky enough to have a shop that catered to traditional archery/archers. I was born in 1984 and basically grew up in and around sporting goods stores...nothing but compounds here as long as I've lived. I'm eternally thankful for this site and all of it's fine sponsors who ship everywhere. Otherwise, I'd still be shooting wheels.

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 01:43:00 AM »
I'm out here in Wenatchee,  Central Wa  .  I'll be looking forward to visiting a great new shop if they are North Central.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »
Very fine people and I too have some good memories of trips out there for their indoor shoots.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:07:00 AM »
Tollgate. Great shop, hopefully they will be close to north idaho.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »
George and Marcie are really great people and they'll be missed.  It's good to hear they might be opening up shop when they get settled in out in Washington.  They were a sponsor here for years, and always a vendor down at OxTAR.  Best of luck to the Catlins and I hope the move goes well.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
We lost ours last fall. Aside from being run by a couple of good guys who knew trad inside and out and could always be counted on to help, it was just plain convenient. It's always nicer to be able to do the "touchy - feely" thing before you lay out your money. I often went in planning to buy one thing and found something better. Now I have to do my homework first and then order on line.

The good news is that there are several great companies to order from - one local here in Michigan (Lost Nation Archery) and 3 Rivers down in Indiana. I had a chance to meet several of the great folks at 3 Rivers while down there for a Rod Jenkins class. Between the two of them, I can't think of much I'll ever need that I can't find with one of them.

Having said all that, I sure miss my local trad shop   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
George used to put on a great indoor shoot in February.
He will be sorely missed.
Ken Thornhill

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Hopefully George makes it to Oxtar this year before they move.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 12:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2nocks:
Hopefully George makes it to Oxtar this year before they move.
That would be very nice.  But Scott V. mentioned that they would be moving before OxTAR so they weren't going to be able to attend.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online huntmaster70

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Me & Leonard went out to talk awhile & say our goodbys a couple weeks ago. George & Marcie will  be missed not only for their trad archery shop, but for their friendship.

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
I'm not surprised that so many here know them, or that you folks think as highly of them as I do.

I didn't realise that they had been sponsors here,  but I know there's been a Trad Gang flyer on the wall of their shop for a long time.

I'm sure I'll end up stopping back in before they leave, and I'll pass along all the compliments and kind words. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

looks like I'll be doing more online shopping in the future too.

There is at least one other guy I know of here locally, that says us trad folks are welcome at his place. He seems like a nice enough guy, but the one time I stopped in to check out his shop, I watched him string a longbow backwards, then stand there looking at it trying to figure out what was wrong. It didn't fill me with confidence, to say the least.

I'm sorry to hear about the others here that have had their shops close for whatever reason. It's not like there's one around every corner, and then there's the friendships that develop over time, as well.

Bob

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Bob,
I've known for afew weeks that they had sold and were planning on moving by July, but how do you put in to words what real friendship means? Years ago when I didn't have a partner for the up coming indoor league George became my partner and even though he was reluctant we won the league that year and I will be forever grateful to him for that. He and Margaret are true friends and I will miss them, but hopefully we will meet again. May your move and retirement bring you much happiness and "God Bless You" George and Margaret.

Always a friend,
Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©