3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What stage are you at?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What stage are you at?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 09:38:00 PM »
22 and 1/2,Fred knows me but have never visited with Ron.But been a long time ago the last time I placed at a shoot.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 09:39:00 PM »
After only 48 years.........stage 11...   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by drewsbow:
who the heck is G Fred Asbell      :confused:  
I am not alone with that question!   :dunno:

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
#22 for me!

Bisch

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
This list was really fun to make but the grandson had a ball game this evening I didn't want to miss so it probably should have had a little more thought put into it.  I think it shows the trials a traditional bowhunter goes though (it's not easy) but though it all, if he still loves to see an arrow fly, he will probably stay with it.  Also I am a big fan of Asbell and La Clair and to be on first name bases with them would be the traditional archery pentacle in my way of thinking. I have met both of them but I doubt they would remember me.
Gordon

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »
That's quite a list.  There were some in the middle that I never did and some that I did are not the list.  The one that is not on there that is still bugging my butt.  You knew where the cock pheasant was going to bust, you did not know that an eagle was going to take a low pass, you did know the arrow came off the string when you turned to watch the eagle, but you did see the arrow fall off your bow and stick in the ground when the pheasant got up right you knew it would.  You know you cannot kick yourself in your butt, but you keep trying.  I still cannot think about the 14 pointer.  There should be a category for not even getting off a shot, but you will never forget.  I have talked to Howard Hill, John Schulz and many others, but it is those total screw ups that will plague my brain forever.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »
Was stuck on #7 but Google bailed me out on Ron L.  and G. Fred. Frankly, don't care if they know who I am. Love to watch an arrow fly whether at a target or an animal. That's the stage I am at presently and from which I hope I never digress.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
22 1/2 met Mr. Asbell but not Mr. La Clair.

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
I think I'm at about #8. I'm learning about arrow tuning. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. Need better tools, that and some good schooling.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
X2 huronhunter
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Not sure where the heck I'd place on the list.  Not much interested, I guess.

On Asbell, I find the man amazing.  Sure, I can see someone saying, "Who's Fred Asbell."  The man is so low key.  He'll post an article in a magazine with the "jee wiz" attitude like he's just another fellow in the pack.  His books read the same way: never the "expert," just his way of looking at things.

But, pick up a copy of the Compton archives and scan for his name -  you'll be amazed who Fred Asbell is.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »

Great 4 days spent with one of the last true greats of this sport.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I guess I'm at a stage where I don't really relate to the "stages" as listed by the OP.

I've always been a hunter )I'll hunt with about any weapon) and my bow hunting is just an extension of that.

I recognize the ongoing theme of watching the arrow fly. I wouldn't describe my continued interest exactly that way. It's similar but there's lots more to it. I'm a "shooter" and I also enjoy the self sufficiency that comes from developing low-tech or primitive skills.

Fortunately, the people who are important to me already know who I am.

Too me, that brings up something else that I love about archery and bow hunting. I know that there's a lot of socializing and what-not with clubs, competition and shooting/hunting with friends or even celebrities but, what about the solitude?

One of the things that I enjoy about archery is that it's one of the few things left that I can control with no interference. I shoot as I please and I hit the mark or I don't. It's all me!

One of the wonderful things about it is that nobody needs to know. I sometimes like to socialize with those who have common interests too but I don't shoot or hunt with a bow for reputation or recognition. I get paid for working for those sorts of things.

Offline Whiskey08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
you need a

1a.    frustrated as hell

Offline Shootum Straight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
I'm at #22.  After 40 years of shooting, it's still all about seeing the arrow fly.  That's what hooked me on it as a kid.  I've never met Asbell or La Clair, but I did meet Gordon at a shoot in Pawhuska, Ok.

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2015, 12:45:00 AM »
Right around 9, although I did meet Fred at the BW clinic a few weeks ago.  Great clinic and Fred is a true gent.

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2015, 06:52:00 AM »
You left out two:

24. You recognize and applaud the humor in posting #23 on this list.
25. When you mention the list to your pal Chuck Norris, he asks excitedly, "Oooh! Can you introduce me sometime to G. Fred and Ron? That's been on my bucket list for years!"

Offline tradarcher4fun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
I'm at 10.
Bob Lee Elite Classic
Stewart Slammers & Reflex/ Deflex
Toelke Pika

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
eidsvolling, thanks for pointing out that this was all in fun and meant to be humorous.  Brad, I hope you're doing well.  I finally had to give away that 76# bow "Good Medicine".  Just got to be too much weight for an ol' man.  That bow really shot well for me.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by mgf:
I guess I'm at a stage where I don't really relate to the "stages" as listed by the OP.

I've always been a hunter )I'll hunt with about any weapon) and my bow hunting is just an extension of that.

I recognize the ongoing theme of watching the arrow fly. I wouldn't describe my continued interest exactly that way. It's similar but there's lots more to it. I'm a "shooter" and I also enjoy the self sufficiency that comes from developing low-tech or primitive skills.

Fortunately, the people who are important to me already know who I am.

Too me, that brings up something else that I love about archery and bow hunting. I know that there's a lot of socializing and what-not with clubs, competition and shooting/hunting with friends or even celebrities but, what about the solitude?

One of the things that I enjoy about archery is that it's one of the few things left that I can control with no interference. I shoot as I please and I hit the mark or I don't. It's all me!

One of the wonderful things about it is that nobody needs to know. I sometimes like to socialize with those who have common interests too but I don't shoot or hunt with a bow for reputation or recognition. I get paid for working for those sorts of things.
I like what he said.  I'm at 22 but minus 11 and 12 I just can't really get into deer hunting.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©