3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who is shooting under 40#?  (Read 566 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Who is shooting under 40#?
« on: June 05, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
The normal limbs in my Predator are 45#, probably around 47 at my draw.  I was not over-bowed, but sometimes if I was shooting for a few hours my shoulder would be a bit painful that night.  I recently ordered a new set of 39# limbs for my Predator - just to see how they would go and practice my form.  Man they are awesome.  Predator bows are well know for their speed and performance, so even at that lower poundage they are still cranking out my 400gr 3555 goldtips, with authority.

I am afraid these lighter limbs have stolen the show now, and I very seldom want to shoot the heavier ones anymore.  Really, these lighter limbs do all that that other ones did, and I would be just as confident hunting any of the critters around here with these limbs.  My 'eye' quickly adjusted and I am hitting the same point at the same distances with the 39# limbs, as I was with the 45# limbs.  

I just love sitting there sometimes and looking at the very fine delicate curves of such light limbs - they are really beautiful - like a finely made musical instrument.  Those Pittsley boys do a good job!!

Just wondering who else is currently enjoying shooting a light poundage bow at the moment? (please no "girly" comments like on the other site)!

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who is shooting under 40#?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
I am not, but I know several people who do.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
My wife has shot a bunch of deer with bows that come in under forty pounds and arrows that weigh from 430 to 450 grains, tapered cedars and 1816.  She consistently gets better penetration than some of the local compound guys do with mechanical heads.  She is on the ground and not trying to shoot long shots or straight down at the deer.  You are more than likely getting more power than she does.  A fast bow like a Predator with a 28" release can have more killing power at 39 pounds than a 50 pound longbow with a 26" release.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
I shoot a 40# longbow and only draw it to 27". So 37-38# on the fingers. Hunted with it last year and did very well. Me personally I dont like shooting heavy bows...it just isnt enjoyable to me.

I have a new longbow coming that will be finished in August and I got it 43@28. So it will be right at 40# at my draw length...and thats as heavy as I am gonna go. Thats plenty for the critters around my neck of the woods.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
My fiancee has a samick polaris  that is 36 lbs @ 28 inches.  It is a really great small game bow.  She shoots 28 inch Beeman Jr Hunters with 100 grain blunts or magnus stingers.

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
You are correct Pavan.  I actually draw 29", so I think I am getting plenty.  It is amazing how fast the Predator bows are.  We have no chrono or anything (my club here), but there is a guy I shoot with often who has a new very expensive Blacktail Elite bow (cost him a King's ransom to get it into Australia).  It is over #50 (53 I think), and he commented the other day that my 45# Predator is noticeably faster than his bow (with me shooting it and my same arrows).  I am so stoked with Predator bows.  Have had 25 customs come and go over the years and I am down to one bow and have no desire at all to try anything else.   I think when you find that one bow that suits you, then the search is over.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I've been shooting a Morrison Shawnee longbow with 62" limbs and 41 lb carbon/foam limbs. It's been great for my form. I shoot 48 to 53# limbs for hunting.
With 600 spine arrows it's very quick and comparable flight to my 50 ish limbs with a heavier 500 spine arrow.
I'm sure I could take deer or black bear with this set up, but will continue to use the heavier for hunting. (for now!).

Offline Lordswarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
i just started shooting a new 38# stewart slammer longbow after shooting mostly 45-50 # bows. man i couldn't be happier! my shoulder feels younger, i can shoot a full 3d course and not get sore, and it shoots as flat as my 45# bows. i'm also shooting gt 35/55s and they are dead on out to my range( 30yds)
will probably hunt with it this fall.
1 Samuel 17:1-58 ... read it and decide; are you a watcher or a warrior?
Bezaleel Real McCoy 46#
Bezaleel Cougar 53#
Bezaleel Cougar 55#
Bezaleel lynx 55#
Leon Stewart Slammer 52#
Maddog Prairie pred. 45#
66 kodiak,68 k hunter

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
Not exactly but I know what you mean.  I've always shot low 50 pound bows but this past winter bought a mid-40 pound bow.  The lighter bow gives up so very little to the heavier bows, it's quite astonishing really how well the lighter bow shoots.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Been shooting at 38 for the last three years due to a shoulder problem.  I'm now able to shoot well with a heavier bow, but the 38 is a real pleasure to shoot.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline picapica

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
My daily shooter is a #35 Bear Tamerlane HC-30. Unfortunately, some of the gains from the lower draw weight are offset by the weight of this Black Beauty's all phenolic riser!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
The first thing that pops into my mind is to make sure that the lower poundage would be legal for the place and species you are hunting.  I believe that here in Illinois, for example, we must have a minimum of 40# draw at 28", at least for deer.  In Alaska, 40# at full draw (not necessarily 28") is sufficient for black bear, but for more or must be 50#.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
We are fortunate here in Australia, that everything I can hunt here in Western Australia (foxes, rabbits, goats, donkeys, camels, sheep wild dogs, cats etc), are all classified as 'feral'.  There are no seasons, no bag limits, and no stipulations on what you hunt them with.  You could probably chase them around with a boomerang, and it would still be legal - he he.

Sutto

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by suttoman:
We are fortunate here in Australia, that everything I can hunt here in Western Australia (foxes, rabbits, goats, donkeys, camels, sheep wild dogs, cats etc), are all classified as 'feral'.  There are no seasons, no bag limits, and no stipulations on what you hunt them with.  You could probably chase them around with a boomerang, and it would still be legal - he he.

Sutto
Wow! Having been a professional farrier for many years and having trimmed/shod many donkeys...I think I might enjoy shooting one. LOL

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
I have a few under 40# bows I shoot and hunt with.
I shoot a 33# Polar and a 34# Hoyt takedown during the winter leagues, killed a fox with a 37# old Shakespeare bow and my self bow is a 38# Osage.

Not a thing wrong with lighter weight bows and to me they are more fun to shoot.

Offline tradarcher4fun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I have several bows between 38# and 47#.  I shoot them all.  Just took my Bob Lee with 38# limbs out last night.  It is a real pleasure to shot.  I can shoot it all day.  I don't hunt so no need for heavy bows.  Someday if I do decide to hunt I'll be fine with the bows I have.
Bob Lee Elite Classic
Stewart Slammers & Reflex/ Deflex
Toelke Pika

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
I don't shoot it regularly... But I have been shooting it more!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
I don't have anything below 40# currently but I have a ca2000 Bear T/D B-riser coming shortly that has a pair of Grayling white limbs (31# on a B) that I plan to shoot regularly.

I was lucky enough to attend Fred Asbell's Black Widow clinic last month and after a day and a half of shooting my hunting bow I picked up a 30# PCH on the provided loaner bow rack.  I'm sold on have a lighter weight bow now that I can shoot frequently and work on my form.

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
Bought two bows last fall. One is 30 lb @24" (about 40 lb @ 28"), and a 40 lb @ 28" bow.  At my 26-inch draw, they probably pull around 36 pounds. Both are 1962 bows so they may draw a little more than marked, but I go by what they read and have not checked them.  I think they kill paper or foam targets pretty good and I can shoot 'em all day.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
I recently got a Bear Super Kodiak at 40#@28, and a Fred Anderson Skookum classic pulling 40@28.  Very pleasant to shoot and perform quite well.  My "old man bows" I call them.   :D
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©