3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for 3-piece bow shooters  (Read 385 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for 3-piece bow shooters
« on: June 05, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
How many 3-piece shooters shoot recurve limbs and longbow limbs using the same riser/grip? I am specifically interested in using recurve limbs (shorter) in a pop up and longbow limbs (my favorite) out of tree stands. Anyone do this?

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for 3-piece bow shooters
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »
I do exactly what you're describing, though it's not much of a change.

I shoot 58" recurve limbs at hunting weight, with 60" longbow limbs at target weight. It's hard to notice a difference, they both act pretty similar.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
Cool.

I was thinking 58" recurve and 64" longbow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »
I have a bow or two on which I can shoot recurve or longbow limbs.  IMO, most thee piece risers are better for one or the other and not both.  

For example, a number of risers are fairly wide and have a large limb pad angle.  I have  Morrison ILF riser that fits that description, for example. It works well with recurve limbs, and while I can put longbow limbs on it, and they perform OK, there's too much deflex coming off the riser to suit my tastes for longbow limbs, and the longbow limbs themselves are often made wider than necessary.

On the other hand,  my Morrison Shawnee is narrower and has a shallower limb pad angle.  It works better for longbow limbs. Limb pad angle is a bit shallow for recurve limbs, and they are generally narrower than standard recurve limbs.

Long story short, if I want a short bow, I use a recurve riser 3-piece.  If I want a longbow, I use a longbow riser three-piece.  Of course, if cost is an issue, you can make either riser go both ways, but usually giving up a little in looks (IMO) and performance with one set of limbs, depending on the riser.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
I have a Zipper ZSR that I have both recurve and longbow limbs.The longbow limbs are 62",55#@28 and the recurve limbs are 58",45#@28.Both are carbon & foam and both shoot fast and quiet!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
My RER LXR was exactly what you are referring to with the possible exception that the static tip recurve limbs were 62 inches...sharply hooked static tip limbs do result in a considerably shorter overall bow length...the radical d/r longbow limbs made a 64 inch bow...both sets of limbs (ordered by the original owner) were 57 pounds...in a moment of foolishness I let that bow go because I felt, with shoulder issues, I would no longer be able to handle that draw weight...rookie mistake

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of the Toelke Lynx, but have also seen a lot of great reviews on the Stalker and Zipper bows

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
I also have an RER LXR. 58" static tip recurve limbs that are 43#@28" and 62" longbow limbs that go 46#@28". It's the one bow I have that is not for sale. The grip fits me very well and both sets of limbs hit right to the same point of aim for me.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Jeff, when Dan introduced the lynx, he sent me one with both sets of limbs to test drive at some 3d shoots. I am a "longbow guy" and have only owned recurves for 3d classes. Over the time I shot the bow however, I seldom put the longbow limbs on though they shot quite well, very similar to the Whips I owned. I found the bow as a recurve to be very quick, dead stable and exceptionally quiet even by Toelke standards.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 11:59:00 PM »
I don't on a regular basis but I have both recurve and longbow limbs for mine and the wife's Dryad Orions. I do switch longer limbs between long and short risers on ILF setups to be able to shoot from a blind but those are all recurve. I don't have and longbow ILF limbs or I probably would. I love my Dryad Orion riser with longbow limbs, absolute best of both worlds!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
I first bought a toelke Lynx recurve then I later ordered longbow limbs and after a while I got tired to take down the bow to change limbs as I wanted to practice with both.
 I ordered a new riser and sent my LB limbs to Dan to make the riser and tiller the limbs to my specs.
Go for A 2 Lynx order you will save time and money !    :goldtooth:
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 04:37:00 PM »
I've not but I'd like to try!  Can't find anyone who wants to part with there Lynx.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©