3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old School Scent Control  (Read 636 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old School Scent Control
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
The only reliably effective form of scent control is to hunt the wind. Sometimes various concoctions work, but they can't be relied on.
Sam

Offline Archer1977

• Trad Bowhunter
Dwyer Longbow 48#

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »
Here is what I like to do. Around here there is a fair bit of cedar which I like to mix with pine. Aside from storing my clothes in a tote with these branches. I will boil a big pot of water like 3 gallons worth with lots of cedar and pine needles mixed in. Then I soak all my clothes in it for a few hours and then dry them out. I will put the rest in a spray bottle to reapply it as needed.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Hunting in the terrain I do now..ridges, and drainage's where thermals and breezes are unpredictable I had deer blow at me almost every hunt. Seemed like every deer that got close knew something was up.

Last season I bought a bee smoker and now put everything I'm going to wear into a big cooler and fill with smoke from burnt leaves through the drain plug hole. Plug the drain and store in there until time to wear.

Since doing that I haven't had the first deer blow at me and even had them walk right up from down wind undisturbed.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »
I store my clothes in plastic containers, wash them and me in unsented wash, air dry them. I do wear them in the truck but do not stop to get gas or food. Use home made scent killer and baking soda. I know some folks that store there clothes in cedar shavings and they seem to have good luck. I like to rub cedar or rabbit tobacco On my clothes as I am going in.
Oh and the best underarm deodorant I have found is the Arm and Hammer brand. At least I can't smell myself.  
But also realize that if a deer is down wind and the air currents takes my scent to it. It will smell me.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
If a dog can find a frozen ham sandwich buried in a foot of snow, how are we hunters be expected to fool the superior nose of a whitetail?

Well, we can't...but like the article mentioned above stated, we may just be able to delay the inevitable with some scent control or masking techniques.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©