3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DEER SCENT NOW ILLEGAL in VA  (Read 482 times)

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
DEER SCENT NOW ILLEGAL in VA
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
I posted this in the Virginia section also but I know many don't check state by state.

DEER SCENT NOW ILLEGAL IN VIRGINIA

The Virginia hunting community has been in an uproar over the past few days due to a new law that allegedly passed concerning use of deer scents in Virginia. A lot of people have blamed liberalism, money-hungry lawmakers, and the fact that the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries "just doesn't care about what we want!" The law passed regardless of a majority vote by citizens during the public input period that the scents remain legal to use. Why do they even ask what we think if they're just going to go against us anyway? I'll tell you why. And I'll tell you why in just three letters: CWD.

CWD also affects elk. Photo copyright Gary Gulash.

Chronic Wasting Disease, or CWD, is an incurable, dangerously contagious, and 100% fatal disease
in cervids. Cervids includes mule deer, whitetailed deer, moose and elk. The disease is spread through bodily secretions like saliva, urine, feces and gland oils. It is caused by prions, which today are not fully understood by scientists and so far, are resistant to all forms of medicines. The CWD disease remains live in the environment for years after being shed from the animal, thus remaining infective to any other cervid that comes in contact with it.

There have been seven confirmed cases of CWD in Virginia, the first being a doe killed by a hunter in 2009. Since then, over 7,600 samples have been taken from hunter-killed deer, roadkill deer, and captive deer that die.

Captive deer farm
Seven cases? Virginia is actually doing pretty well when we put it into perspective. What do I mean by "perspective?" States like Colorado and Wyoming have become so overwhelmed with the disease that they have practically given up trying to eradicate it from the wild population because it's virtually impossible. Why would we want to have the same problem in our great state? We just re-introduced elk into our state, why would we want to put that population at risk, too?

Removing lymph nodes from a deer for CWD testing
Deer infected with CWD will show no visible signs of sickness in the early stages, and it is only detectable in deceased animals. Samples are taken from the brain and lymph nodes and tested for the presence of the disease. So how can all of these captive deer farms that mass produce deer urine and scents be so sure that there is no CWD? According to the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, a great deal of these companies have not been compliant with their CWD testing. Basically, it's scaring the crap out of our natural resource managers.

Buck suffering from CWD.
Just last year, Virginia took a huge hit to our deer population via Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD). It got us a little worried. We talked about it. A lot of us even started brainstorming ways to try to help the populations in the coming years to possibly try to help the herds recover and grow. EHD isn't even contagious...it's transmitted by a fly and is completely out of human control. Now that the DGIF is taking intiative to prevent the outbreak of a contagious disease that is completely preventable by human hands, we're all upset and in an uproar. Take a step back and think about it, folks!

We aren't alone. Other states like Alaska and Vermont have signed a similar law into action in their states, and both were for the sole purpose of preventing CWD.

So what's in the fine print?
The proposed change was for a law in the Administrative Code of Virginia, law 4VAC15-90-293: Chronic Wasting Disease Deer Carcass Movement Restrictions. The proposed amendment states, "No person shall, for the purposes of taking or intending to take, attracting, or scouting, any wild animal in Virginia, possess or use any substance or material that contains or purports to contain any excretion collected from a cervid, including feces, urine, blood, gland oil, or other bodily fluid."

This means ANY NATURAL SUBSTANCE THAT WAS OBTAINED FROM ANY LIVE CERVID. You CAN still use artificial cover scents, artificial scents, synthetic urines, or fox and coon urine. The law only prohibits use of cervid excretions. This includes but is not limited to gland oils, tarsal glands, doe urine, and buck urine. It also includes the rub-on sticks like VS-1 that uses the natural vaginal secretions of live does. It's a little fuzzy, but this may also include urine collected from a deer that you killed yourself.

Will stores continue to sell these items? Absolutely. They want to make money off of you, even if you're going to use the products illegally. They are not liable for what you do with the product once you leave the store (just like buying deer corn and minerals in November), so they couldn't care less. It all comes down to you, the hunter, to understand WHY this law was passed, WHY the deer could potentially experience an incurable outbreak due to using these scents, and be wise to the environment and the laws. Yes, the new law sucks and puts a hindrance on our hunting traditions, but we can't always think about what we want when it comes to hunting; sometimes we need to think about what's best for the wildlife and what is the best way for us to make sure that good hunting is available for future generations!

Love this blog? Be sure to visit the Virginia Hunting Forum, Virginia's leading hunting and fishing community on the net! Join in on great discussions there and share your favorite scents and attractants for deer hunting!
Posted by Virginia Hunting Forum Blog at 8:09 AM

--------------------
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DEER SCENT NOW ILLEGAL in VA
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Email me at [email protected]    I am in Stafford also.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:01:00 PM »
Good post!

The benefit of using scents as a hunter is far outweighed by the risk to the herd.

And you can still kill deer without the use of scents.  I do.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
Fascinating
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ed cowden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
I think baits and lures maybe alright for trapping, but using bait I know is illegal and lures used to attract deer is pretty much like bait. I think you can take advantage by using trail cams and putting yourself down wind. You can sit in your stands and move them before season starts. Studying and using your brain will get you more game and even get you more time in the woods. OK

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
I have mixed feelings on this and understand where they are coming from but I dont believe any other state has gotten rid of CWD. Wisconsin initiated a Deer eradication program carried out by their "hunters".  The same guys pissed and Moaned there were no deer for nearly 8 years.

It would make sense to me however, the state should better regulate the industry and make sure cervid farms are following the law.

This is yet another example of what happens when you take the money allocated for wildlife law enforcement and give it to a guy at a desk.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
I've never found them to work and for sure don't want to deal with cwd! Makes sense in the long run

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
I've never found them to work and for sure don't want to deal with cwd! Makes sense in the long run. Maybe Oklahoma should pass something similar before we get hit badly.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
I have mixed feelings on this and understand where they are coming from but I dont believe any other state has gotten rid of CWD. Wisconsin initiated a Deer eradication program carried out by their "hunters".  The same guys pissed and Moaned there were no deer for nearly 8 years.

It would make sense to me however, the state should better regulate the industry and make sure cervid farms are following the law.

This is yet another example of what happens when you take the money allocated for wildlife law enforcement and give it to a guy at a desk.
This move is not going to eliminate CWD from an area where it already exists, but it may very well help keep it from becoming established.  You don't want it if you can help it.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:00 PM »
I guess if there were not "deer farms" there would be nobody producing lures and doe pee... ?

Alas, seems reading the science stuff over the years, the farms have been the source of most of these type infectious ailments, or do I have that wrong from memory?

If memory is right, seems easiest way is to more closely control these farms so they don't "lose" an affected animal or having the crud get into the wild herd environment...easier said then done?  Easier to just put a band-aid on it all and call it good...! And then those deer farm chaps would chap cause it's their livelihood...

We all be stump shooting stead of hunting here if'n not careful huh?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »
i never knew it was caused by prions. knowing that, this is a very smart move. CWD thrives in areas of overcrowding, which is exactly what you have on deer farms where most of those commercial scents are collected.

knowing that these commercial scents could introduce prions from a crowded farm into the uncrowded woods, thus furthering the spread of CWD, it seems as though someone made a sound decision based on science, and not emotion or profit.

prions are what caused mad cow disease, by the way.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
Based on what this post explains-"Chronic Wasting Disease, or CWD, is an incurable, dangerously contagious, and 100% fatal disease
in cervids. Cervids includes mule deer, whitetailed deer, moose and elk. The disease is spread through bodily secretions like saliva, urine, feces and gland oils."-doesn't baiting/using feeders concentrate, and increase the likelihood, of spreading these type of diseases??
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Selfbow, yes it does, that is why it is illegal in Virginia to feed deer. That doesn't stop the stores from selling feed though and people from feeding them.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
I've never come across an overly sick deer in Colorado Ihave been here about mnine years now. Nobody I know bothers to get their animals checked any more. In my mind it's kind of like the deal with the zebra mussels, they make boaters jump through all these hurdles before they put their boats in a lake but the ducks and geese are flying from lake to lake and they have to be a more hospitable carrier of mussel eggs/larva than a boat. Pandora's box has been opened and CWD isn't going back in it, but it really hasn't been that big of deal in my eyes. JMHO
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Very True Rick,

I guess my sentiment didn't come out right as I was trying to finish a thought before work.

I agree that any known way to spread a disease should be banned.  But really what I wanted to relay was it shouldn't stop there.  

Laws are no good without proper enforcement.

I think the antibaiting/feeding is a good move and should even include bird feeders.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Beau J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
CWD is scary stuff...I guess I agree with the idea of "better safe than sorry" when it comes to pouring urine that may be contaminated on the ground in the very deer woods that we hunt! I like the idea of shutting down all the deer farms..(Every case of CWD so far can be traced to or in an area near one of these farms) I really get bummed out when I read of some sketchy deer farmer moving deer illegally in a gutted out R.V...Even though it may all be in vain I think we need to take ever precaution we can to stop CWD from spreading...BeauJ

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Well stated
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
I hate to say this, but I doubt that "deer farms" will be closed any time soon, they are big business at this point and we all know how that goes. Anything an individual can do to cooperate with efforts to stop CWD in its tracks should be done, period. I used synthetic scent last season and it worked as well as anything else I've used, which is to say it may not have worked at all--it's hard to tell unless a deer runs in and plants his nose on it!  
 I also bet there will be scents in the stores this fall marked "Certified CWD-FREE" true or not. I am cynical about all of it, I guess.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
Reduced herd sizes in some areas

Increased pressure

Reduced areas for hunting

Could become more interesting as time goes on...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks for posting Rob. Guess I haven't been paying attention!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©