3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
Ticks
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
There have been a couple threads here recently about ticks, and I mentioned that in a lifetime in the woods, I've never had any problems with them.

I've found a few on myself over the years, but they hadn't bit me yet, and I just picked them off.

When I got up this morning my arm brushed against my left side just above my waist, and I won't say it hurt, but something didn't feel right. It was far enough towards my back that I couldn't see it, but when I felt it, I thought maybe it was a pimple.

Imagine my surprise when I looked in the mirror and saw the back end of a tick sticking up out of my side.

The skin around it is deep purple, almost bruised looking, and I'd guess that It's been there for a while. I don't know how I didn't feel it in the shower.

I've always been one to take care of minor things myself at home, but I don't have any experience with tick removal, and from what I've read, I don't want the head left in my side to get infected.

With all I've read here about it, I'm thinking the best course of action is to have a Dr. remove it, and more than likely get some antibiotics.

Your thoughts?

Bob

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
I would go see the doctor. I got a flu like sickness after a large wood tick bit me a few years ago while out fishing. Doctor gave me antibiotics and it went away soon there after. Ticks can carry diseases other than Lyme.

Ron

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
There are many different ideas on removing them. Check the section in the NYDEC.
You can't start the doxy. too early.
Get to a doctor. Like Ron said; they can carry other things besides Lyme, and they are all nasty.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
I probably picked it up the day before yesterday. I was out doing a little scouting, and just enjoying the woods in general.

It seems strange when I stop and think of all the leaves, grass, brush, etc. that I've walked and crawled through in my life, that it took 50 years for a tick to bite me. It's the only one I know of, at least.

He's really in there too. The only thing sticking out is his butt, and a couple legs.

I hate to go to the Dr's for something like this, but better safe than sorry. Thanks Ron.

Bob

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
Sorry Kat, I missed your post. Thank you.

Bob

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Its better to be safe than sorry especially if that bugger is in there deep and may have been in there for some time.

Ron

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
I know a few guys that have had terrible medical problems from tick bites and not only lyme disease. Go to the Dr. and have him remove the tick and do a blood test for tick borne diseases.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Just talked to the Dr. They want me there at 1:45 to remove the tick, and start some antibiotics.

I said in a recent post, that I've never had a problem with ticks, but from what I've seen here, I should start taking them more seriously.

I'm not going to let them keep me out of the woods, but I'll be checking myself when I get home from now on.

Thanks Pat.

Bob

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Had one bury in my shoulder almost 2 months ago.  I pulled it out whole, but the bite spot festered and it has just now finally healed properly.  Looks like the remnant of an old chicken pock. Spent most of my youth crawling and scrounging through the woods and have had tons of ticks. Was practically a daily ritual for my mom to go through my hair and look me over for those buggers.  This is the first time I've ever had a bite react like this. I'd get it checked out.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline OregonTom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
I haven't had much of a problem with ticks until this Spring.  We are using a cotton ball soaked in peppermint oil to get the ticks to back out of the hold they have on you.  Even with the  peppermint oil you still have to use tweezers to help pull them out.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
My wife had one of the very earliest cases of Lyme disease when we were living in Minnesota in the early '80s. Believe me, anytime a tick is embedded the way you described here, your next step should be to go immediately to a doctor. Ditto if a tick bite shows any swellng, redness or other indication of trouble, even if it's not the classic ring.

For less serious attachments, there are small tick removal tools that are far better to use than tweezers. Most outdoor stores in tick areas will stock them, and they're readily available online.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
Ticks are regional-especially the lyme disease carriers. N East hunters are especially vulnerable ticks are very common on deer. What you describe as bruising could be the bull's eye rash commonly associated with infection-be glad you are going to see a doc get it tested and let us know please. Whenever we get a tick it gets tested even though California and most of the West are a relatively low risk area.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
I like the Tick Key.  
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
When you try to remove a tick by pulling it or using tweezers you squeeze the tick juices(for lack of a better word) into your system. Either scrape them off with a credit card or use a tick remover.
  When I started spraying my cloths with Permanone(Permethium)sp. I stopped having ticks attach. I learned this lesson by going to the Southeastern Traditional Archery Championships in Elberton, GA, the tick capital of trad archery.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Go to the Internet and look up tick borne diseases. WOW! you have a great list of maladies come up. Ticks should never be taken lightly anymore. In my opinion, every outdoorsman should have a wide range test for tick borne diseases performed at every annual physical exam. Whitetail Addict, you need to have that bite checked out.
Sam

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
I always spray the legs of my pants before I go out into the woods. Keeps 90% of them off. If a bit is turning colors go to the doctor. Better safe than sorry.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 03:02:00 PM »
I will not go into the woods unless I have sprayed my clothing with a Permithrin product. I mix my own.

The only tick I have had on me in the last 20 years was when my daughter was showing me around her new house.
I felt something itching in the middle of my back the next day and had my wife look. It was a tick embedded in my back. We put a blob of vaseline over it and it backed right out. I have heard this doesn't work but it did for me.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Been bit a few times over the years. Usually looking for arrows. Got so I stripped and showered before going into the house. Started to use the spray stuff, then went to treating my clothes.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Get it checked bud, thats nothing to play with.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Are you sure it's a tick? I've had a couple million tick bites through the years and I've never had one buried where all you can see is the butt and rear legs. But maybe swelling has hidden him.

But I would definitely have the doctor start me on some antibiotics.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©