3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder Surgery  (Read 797 times)

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder Surgery
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Gilbert,
Yes I would be very interested in having the PDF of those exercises. I will send you a separate message with my email address. Thank you so much for your generosity.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
UPDATE:
The surgery was yesterday morning. The surgeon took out the bone growths that were impinging on my rotator cuff.

The post-surgical pain was minimal and has been under control by the prescription pain medication Dilaudid.

I was provided with a sling and instructions to use the sling for the rest of the day yesterday and to stop using it today. I was also told to ice the shoulder as much as possible.

Today I started the first of the rehabilitation exercises. This are all assisted exercises that do not involve the use of my shoulder muscles at this point. The idea is to get the joint moving and establish the beginning range of motion without stressing the involved shoulder muscles.

So far, so good. The pain is very much under control and I am very optimistic about the eventual outcome.

I'll report again tomorrow.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Glad to hear it Joe, looking foreward to your update!
 Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
Glad to hear you are doing so well. Follow your Docs instructions, and you will be back at it in no time.
Molon labe

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Good to hear!   :thumbsup:
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
UPDATE - 6/18:
I have had no need for pain medication since last night.
I removed the post-surgical bandages today, as directed. The three button-hole sized incisions seem to be closed and healing over.

I have been doing my passive range of motion exercises as directed and so far, other than a bit of soreness and swelling, things seem good.

After the surgery the surgeon said that he removed two big bone spurs that were rubbing against tendons in my shoulder joint. He said that the tendons were frayed from constant contact with the bone spurs. In removing the spurs he made room for the tendons to move freely. He also removed the frayed parts of the tendons and smoothed them out.

Apparently, if I had delayed the surgery too much longer, the wear on the tendons from the spurs would have been a bad thing.

More updates will follow as things progress.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Good to hear things are going well! I hope it continues until you are back to 100%!

Bisch

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »
Take care, don't rush and I hope your healing goes well.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »
Update 6/23:
I an one week post surgery as of today. The bruising is starting to clear up a little bit. I am doing daily work on stretching and range of motion. My range of motion is now better than it was score the surgery, but that's not saying much because it was so limited by the bone spurs.

I continue to ice the shoulder several times a day and I think it helps. I will try casting a fly rod a little bit tomorrow to see how it feels. I should be able to draw a lightweight bow in a week or ten days.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Howdy Joe, a few of us were chatting about you over the weekend at the Rendezvous. Prayers and well-wishes were heading your way for a quick recovery.

Good luck with the fly rod and the bow, let us know if you need something ultra lightweight for recovery!
Thom

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
UPDATE 6/24:
Well, I'm not quite ready to use a fly rod. I guess I was a bit too optimistic. Even though the stretching is going well, movement is still not smooth and there are some rough spots or hitches in moving that are either weak or sore or both. The doctor says my cartelige is pretty worn out and roughness in movement will always be there, but as the post-surgical inflammation clears up I shooed improve.  So, ice and stretching will continue and I'll try some large smooth movements again in a few days.

And, thanks for the offer of the use of a super light bow. I have a stretch cord that I can start with, and I have a 30# Bear Polar on the rack - it is my wife's bow and the dear girl will let me use it.

I will report again in a few days. Thanks, everyone, for all of the support and good wishes.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Lassiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Glad everything is going well for you!

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
I don't know how I missed this thread.

Joe, I'm glad to hear that you're doing so well. I have two shoulder surgeries to look forward to myself, and I appreciate your taking the time to keep us up to date on your progress.

It helps to know somebody that's been there, and is willing to share their experience, thank you.

I hope you continue to recover as well as you have been.   :thumbsup:  

Bob

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »
UPDATE: July 2, 2015

I had a post-surgery appointment at the surgeon's office on Tuesday. I learned that, in addition to the bone spurs, there was "fraying" but not complete tears in my biceps tendon and in the rotator cuff tendons. The fraying was from the tendons rubbing against the bone spurs. During the surgery, the doctor smoothed out the tendons and removed the parts that were frayed and just hanging by a thread. He did that in addition to the removal of the bone spurs.

So the fact that I am still a bit sore makes more sense now that I know that the tendons in my shoulder had to be shaved down to make them smooth.

The stretching is going well, even though each time I do the stretches it seems like I start way back where I originally started. Though the stretching seemed to move quickly at first, the gains now are much slower and smaller.

I have clearance to start some strength exercises as long as I stretch more than I strengthen. The recommendation is that I stretch for 3 sessions to every one strengthening session.

I am going to try a few shots with a 30 pound bow over the weekend.

I will update after that.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
Hang Tuff Joe !!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Hey Joe, glad to her of your progress. I just got back to work after 6+ months off work, and that with a 10 # weight restriction. All rotator cuff surgeries are not equal. I'm still hoping to be able to hunt this Fall, but if not....so be it.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:00 PM »
Well, I was able to cast a fly rod and catch fish without pain or fatigue. That's a good landmark improvement. Now I'm going to work the stretch cord with the hope that I will be able to shoot my bow within a week. Then, if all goes well, the next step will be to shoot comfortably so I can really concentrate and get back to being accurate. I am still stretching and applying ice several times a day.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
if your bored make a nice old fashioned slingshot in a pull weight you can handle and plink away its good exercise for an archer in recovery.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Good luck, I sincerely hope it all works out for you and you get back in the game. TW   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »
Joe,  I am glad that you are on your way to recovery.  I was finally aloud to take my sling off after 6 weeks on Monday.  I tried just bringing my bow up, not drawing, but holding it at a spot.  I could not do it.  Oh well.  I hear that time heals all wounds and some physical therapy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©