3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage seedlings growing like crazy  (Read 344 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage seedlings growing like crazy
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Last fall my wife convinced me to stop so she could pick up a bunch of osage balls. We sat some around to keep spiders away. Then put a bunch in an old garbage can and let them get wet and freeze and thaw all winter. In the spring we mashed them up and added some water. I dug a pretty poor looking trench by dragging the backhoe on my little kubota. We poured in the mashed osage slop and covered the trench. We made two 10' trenches like that.
Considering I had tried this the year prior and none sprouted. I really put the slop in thick this time. Immediately after planting them we had a really dry spell for about 6 weeks. (Uncommon for this area). Well, the trees sprouted like crazy. It's been raining and they look strong and healthy but they are way too thick. I could transplant a few. And I guess when they get a little stronger they could be carefully dug out and mailed if anyone is interested.
The interesting part is that the parent trees that these seedlings came from are without a doubt the biggest tallest straightest osage trees I have ever heard of or saw pictures of. The trunks are so straight there is almost no bad stave among them. Most you could not reach around.  A lot of the branches would make staves if someone was wanted to try that. I have searched the internet trying to find a photo of osage trees of this caliber and none come close. Some have trunks tall enough to get 3 logs for long staves. maybe 4!  40' to the first branch. It's neon yellow when cut. About 10 years ago I managed to find the owner and convinced him to let me have a tree. I was by myself and cut one I could handle and clean up in one evening.  It yielded two 8' logs +. Loading them took a block and tackle and a come-a-long. While I don't pretend to be any kind of expert, those staves were as perfect as any I ever heard of. I had previously made about a dozens self bows of all types wood. From this osage I made and sold 4-5 self bows in addition to some staves to pay for a hunting trip. I have one perfect stave left. The grain is so straight, I really need to have some time and the right mindset to work on it. A true expert would make two bows out of it. It's pretty wide.
The old row of osage trees is 1/2 - 3/4 mile long. I really think a person could darn near retire if he was to harvest and split and sell all that for bow wood.
Anyone have any idea on how I could mail some of you some seedlings without killing them?
Tedd

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage seedlings growing like crazy
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Sounds like a cool project! Teddy osage seed!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:00:00 PM »
Tedd,

You need to keep them thick, that way they will grow straight and limbless.  If you thin them too much they will have lots of limbs and be crocked as heck.  Hedgerow osage seldom has a straight trunk that is more 4 or 5 feet long.  The best staves come from osage that grows where it's in thick woods and has to reach for the sky.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
Selfbow, I didn't know that. I would have thought the opposite and thinned them out. Good to know.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
I've never heard of Osage growing so large or straight.  Are you sure it wasn't black locust?

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
I have sprouted a bunch of osage seedlings in the past using seeds from the straightest osage I could find. Bottom line, the seeds will not grow as true as the parent.

I would transplant seedlings to gallon pots and let them grow for a year before selling them, giving them away or planting them. I found that only about a third would grow straight, the rest would quickly growing like typical osage, doglegged, bowed and twisted. I always culled the inferior seedlings.

Thinning a seedling patch won't make any difference, leaving them thick won't make them magically grow straight. If you transplant them to thick woods you might get a few straight trees but my findings are that they won't grow well in shade.

The thick straight patches of osage trees were planted or seeded at the same time and made their own thick grouping.

I suspect osage seeds are like apple seeds, you can't plant a red delicious seed and expect a red delicious apple tree. I understand there are 13 possible variants in the seeds from one apple tree. I have found osage seeds to be very inconsistent in their progeny as well.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I wonder if staking the seedlings to rods or sticks would help in keeping them straight as they grow...? You can train other types of trees, why not osage?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
I made this from the tree I was referring to

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 03:39:00 PM »
And I made this from a black locust cut on my own property  

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Another bow I    made from the big straight osage tree

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Another one.  

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
Currently I don't have any selfbows that I like. Just clunkers and a locust bow not quite complete. Sure wish that one in the last photo.

Offline Bluegoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
Good luck with them Tedd. Those sound like the osage trees from a lot of folks' dreams!
Dave Johnson ASL 68" 50#@30"

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tedd:
Another one.  
Great looking bow  ;)  Did the cat put up much of a fight??  :)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©