3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String strand count...  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Tooltech

• Trad Bowhunter
String strand count...
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:43:00 AM »
I use two types of string construction, Flemish and Endless.
I don't make my own strings because there are many very good custom string makers at reasonable prices.

I shoot 55 pound longbows and Recurves and I would like to know what you all recommend for strand counts using D97 and 8125g? I have been ordering Halo for servings and it is very durable. I have been thinking about trying Angel Majesty; any thoughts?

Please advise...
If you cannot learn from history you are doomed to repeat it...

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String strand count...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
D97 I use 12 strand up to 50lb, over 50 I use 14.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
I use 10 strands of D97 for my ACS's 51# & 54# and pad the loops to 18 strands for my Flemish splice strings.

Kris

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
12 strands of D97 is strong enough for up to a 100# bow.12 strand D97 with .024 Halo will give you close to a .110 served diameter which gives a great nock fit to Easton 3D Super nocks,large groove G-nocks.I have used a lot of D97,though the least expensive string material but not always the quietest.I have become quite a fan of the new BCY-X.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
i shoot 8 strand D97 on my 58# border no problems at all.
12 strand on my 70#
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Tooltech,

it all depends on what you're wanting.  If were just concerned with how many strands will hold that amount of weight, I make some 6 strands for people when they order them and stretch all the strings out to over #200.  Although that is just a static stretch and different than actually shooting the bow, i think 6 strand bcy x would hold a #55, but i wouldn't really want to do that.  It really depends on exactly what you want.  

As far as serving goes, there are quite a few good ones out there.  One important thing to know about serving is they have different laying qualities.  For instance, power grip has a VERY GOOD finish on it and is also round, even after you serve it on the string, it is still round.  Halo tends to lay flat.  

What really determines the durability of the serving is the material and the finish.  If you go to bcyfibers.com you can look up what the make up of each type of serving is and then you'll see what makes them quality.  

Power grip is a blend of spectra and nylon yarn and halo is just spectra.  Power grip is the proclaimed "latest and greatest".  I have been using it for several months and I really do like it.  But i like halo as well.  

sorry for the long answer
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
I like 10 strands of D97, with 14 strands in the loops. When serving with .025" dia. serving material, I spiral wrap one layer of plumber's thread seal tape (Teflon ?) under the nock and finger contact area, and serve over it. With .021" serving material, I spiral wrap two layers. Fits Gold Tip size arrow nocks.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
I know that calculating the force on the bow string when it hits brace height after release is WAY beyond my math skills. Just remember that if you are drawing 50#, the force on the string is actually much greater. The classic physics 101 example is a line stretched between two buildings with a weight hanging from the middle. The force on the line is equal to the sin of the angle between horizontal and the line. If your bow string forms a 110 degree angle at your finger tips for example, and you're drawing 50#, the force on the string would be around 87#.

That's at full draw. What it would be when the limbs hit brace height and have to be stopped there by the string is beyond my simple math ability. How much it would be would be determined by the mass of the limbs and their speed. Integral calc and I never did agree, but I assume its a bunch!
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Dynaflight '97 I like 12 strands for your draw weight.  14 if using 8125.  Halo is a great serving material, as is 62XS and Power Grip.  PG is great if you have problems with the serving slipping.

Angel Majesty bowstring has its fans.  It was developed for target archers, not usually the quietest.  Majesty serving is good, I like Halo better.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 03:38:00 PM »
FWIW, I've never seen an archer who is ranked use tiny strings.  That includes Vegas and most recently the World Youth Championship in SD this week.  If anything they go heavier than I like.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »
I played the skinny string game for a couple years, I justswitched back to standard 16 stand strings rmsgear sales, it's easier to get a good consistent nock fit and speed difference is minimal. Plus the extra strands give you a little bit more insurance if you nick the string with a broadhead etc
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Colotrad

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
I find the skinny strings make my bows MUCH quieter. I use 8 strand strings, on my 50-55#bows. I draw about 29.5".
TGMM Family of the Bow
60" Griffin T/D
56" Shrew C/H T/D
58" Shrew C/H T/D
62” Javaman Assyrian T/D

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
I haven't had that happen with me--longbows, recurves, or selfbows.  Brace height, silencer placement, nock fit, arrow weight, and release are all tools I use to get a quiet shot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©