3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most consistent wood for arrows?  (Read 892 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Most consistent wood for arrows?
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:29:00 AM »
I am looking for some "tournament quality" wood arrows that's only purpose will be hitting the foam target(in the 10 ring).  Unlike Bisch, I like to hit the 10 ring every now and then!  ;)  

But seriously, what is the best wood for consistent wood arrows?

Also, should I try to DIY or just order from a sponsor?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most consistent wood for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:42:00 AM »
I had good luck with Laminated Birch a few years ago when I shot wood.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
The best I have experienced lately are tapered Surewoods, which are Douglas fir.  Cedar used to be the norm, but good cedar is hard to find these days.  

I buy the shafts directly from Surewood or from Snag at Wilderness Custom Arrows.  Snag could also set you up with some unbelievable customs if you choose to go that way.

D.P.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
Daniel,  I have to agree with Dave.  

Unless you like making arrows.... By the time you buy the shafts and materials, then invest the time.... You basically break even compared to buying them from a sponsor.  Plus the sponsors arrows look great which if you are shooting poorly at a competition, they  will at least look good doing it lol

I personally like making arrows. I find it therapeutic.

Good luck.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
If you are going to make your arrows, I highly recommend any shaft from Forrester Wood Shafts. Kevin's quality is second to none!

Darren

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I think Surewood Shafts are best around.....but I like Douglas Fir.  Others prefer Rose City for cedar.

Forrester is awesome especially for his exotic woods that have little problems with grain runout due to types of woods he uses but also more expensive.

When all said and done...there is something to be said for going to a high quality custom builder and letting him do all the work especially if you have not built many yourself and do not have the materials already on hand.  Whispering Winds, Wilderness Custom, Raptor Archery are some I would consider for their high quality and fair pricing for premium completed arrows.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 08:33:00 AM »
Get a hold of Paul Jalon at Elite Arrows...he will set you up with a set of arrows as close to perfect as you can get.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »
POC, Doug Fir and Sitka spruce can all be found in equally straight grain.  As a target shooter, you might also be interested in arrow weight.  Generally, Sitka spruce is the lightest, POC next and Doug Fir the heaviest of the three. There is some overlap in physical weights within a given spine range, of course.

If you're a newbie with wood, probably better to buy arrows made for you.  A grain scale and spine tester are absolutely essential to put together a set of we'll matched shafts.  Likewise, a sanding disk provides consistently truer tapers than the hand held taper tools. There are even a few tricks involved in properly gluing on nocks and points.  It's surprising how many folks don't get them on straight.

Offline huronhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Times two for Paul Jalon , he makes a great arrow .
Bill and Jody at Lost Creek also makes great arrows .

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
I make all of my arrows from Rose City Archery cedar shafts.  If you just want to fletch your own the LCN shafts, (Lacquer, Crested & nocked) are hard to beat for looks and durability.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
My complaint on wood arrows is the spine variation.  55-60#?
Check with the supplier about getting them all matched for the same spine, i.e. 57# for example.
I know Rocky Mountain Specialty will do this so I suspect others will do it as well.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline cmh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
I thought real arrows were wood  ;)
ISAIH 41:10 ROMANS 10:13
GOD BLESS..........

>>>>--------------->

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Paul Jalon of  http://elitearrows.com/  is THE man for wood arrows.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Weight match, spine match and straightness (that one is adjustable by you) are more important than the wood type.  You won't want a heavy wood but within reason they will all work well if the first three factors are met.

If you get in touch with Rocky Mountain Speciality Gear and tell them what you want they will match your shafts very closely.

They were offering 11/32 compressed cedars which I found to be excellent shafts.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 01:27:00 PM »
I have gotten excellent shafts from Wapiti Archery formerly Rogue River.  I bought a bunch of parallel RC shafts off the Ething.  I did not know that one could buy 100 shafts and that 90 of them could all be flare grained, some did not even make good tomato stakes.  I think they were someones reject pile. The higher grade Wapitis have been 100% good for me.  I am phasing into Surewoods for hunting, I like the weight and quality, but its hard when people keep dropping off 1918s, (my other favorite).

Offline bowheadhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
Living in Sitka Ak we all like Sitka Spruce air planes and boats last for ever with Sitka spruce I am sure arrows be good the wood a little harder to stain ,
The Rock-Star of Trad-Talk

White Wolf Max P 40-55 lb adjustable longbow..

Border Harrier #53 carbon fast as A BOW CAN BE.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
Yeah Paul Jalon has a pile of tournament winners shooting his arrow.
lll

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
The best use the best
 http://elitearrows.com/champions/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
I still prefer cedar when I can get good shafts, but I also like Douglas Fir. All of the popular arrow woods make good arrows, otherwise, they would not gain popularity. Personal preference is usually the deciding factor. Checking out the sponsors should get you hooked up with some very competent arrow smiths.

Some don't like the fact that wood arrow shafts vary in spine, such as 50-55#, or vary several grains in mass weight. With a closely matched set, none of us are good enough that that these small variations would make a difference in our shooting. However, some guys are really concerned about this, which is fine. If tighter tolerances spur one's confidence, then it is worth it to be very selective.

All I can say is that wood is my choice hands down. Yes, it is simply my notion of tradition. Others don't agree with me, which is why they make arrows out of numerous materials. In fact, I used to be an aluminum shooter. Whatever arrow material you choose, you can find arrows that will shoot tighter than any of us can hold.
Sam

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I can really tell the difference between a hardwood that is extra long for spine and a net cedar at 30 yards.  Just like I can sorta tell the difference between a 9 grain per pound cedar and a ten point five grain per pound doug fir or a 1918 net easton, these problems that I fret over have never seemed to make any difference to deer.  If target woods are the objective, net length then super straight grained tapered cedars are the way to go.  Hill knew what he was doing, he even preferred barrel tapered wood shafts, although he conceded that aluminums were probably better.  I prefer nice short aluminums over woodies for target work myself.  Not for how they fly, but for the way they pull out of foam targets.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©