3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for Rabbit hunters  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for Rabbit hunters
« on: January 24, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
Just curious what kinda ranges you shoot at when rabbit hunting.  I hear all about ranges with deer on here but was wondering what u feel comfortable shooting at a rabbit.

Elu

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for Rabbit hunters
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
Probably 10 - 15 yards. I mean, considering that proper hunting technique requires picking a definite spot on a critter, one would think a target that small would call for closer proximity.

That said, I've broken my own rules from time to time, "when the shot felt right." I've killed squirrels out to forty yards, and rabbits beyond 20.

Practice makes perfect. How are you on the target range? That would indicate ability.

Rock On.

TOMANO
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »
Just starting starting to get groupings at 10 yards  :)   I am just curious because that is what interests me right now with bow hunting is rabbits and squirrels.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
Different beast. For deer you need to penetrate a lot of body mass and bigger bones so the arrow must have some punch left in it. Also hitting a squirrel or cottontail with a judo or a large rubber blunt would be like hitting a deer with a 1ft dia. tree trunk hurled at 180ft/sec.    :scared:  You wouldn't have to worry about it getting away wounded, would you?  
Now, Texas Jack Rabbits... I've never even seen one...

Offline tpoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
How far away can you be and still hit them in the head? For me the closer the better!  lol

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
LOL that kinda funny in a way.I,d shoot at one 80-100yrds away given the oppertunity.In reality inside of 20 is more the norm sometimes it,s only feet
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
Like said above, I go with what feels right. I like to try and get them on the run!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »
I can't say anything...Cause Joe will get on my case... :( ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline bowmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
When they go flying by you with a Beagle hot in pursuit I would say the closer the better. Its not against me to take a 6 foot shot as the furball runs by. On the other hand I have been known to take a 30 yard shot from time to time. Since I miss most of the time its good exercise chasing after my arrow. Just go out and do it, you'll have a blast.
Wool the Natural Fiber

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
I shot one yesterday at 5 yards, but like Tom said I have shot at them at 80-100 yards and running no less!! Bunnies are fun targets. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Excuse me for not reading all the no-doubt excellent threads before, but -- one of the glories of bunny hunting for me is that they are NOT big game. We can relax. Rabbits are made to die and do it easily (usually!). If you hit them anywhere, they are goners or won't go far. Or you miss. So my only shot limitations are the number of arrows I can afford to lose or break that day. 50 yards running? You bet? Elk and deer? 20 yards broadside, looking away, or nothing.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Thank You Pete!... :thumbsup: ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Elusive One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
What kind of spine would a 1 ft diam. tree trunk have?....lol

Ok thanks guys I can see from the post i am going to have to invest in or learn to make arrows.  :)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
I would totally disagree with sneakypete though. Our cottontails are very tough, not as tough as a squirrel but tough just the same. I have seen them hit mid-body with a broadhead from a 60# bow and still make their hole. I saw one on my bunny hunt shot witha bow well over 80#s and a 700+ grain nutter and roll it over and it get up and keep going. Most guys I know and I am gonna hunt with over 50 of them in a few weeks, all shoot the same bow they use for big game at bunnies.(See Bunny Hunt bow thread or Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt thread) Make plenty of arrows and do not worry about the shots ya take, take everyone ya can possibly get. Shawn
Shawn

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
Yup, Shawn's right.  I think small game in general are very tough animals - I've practically cut squierels in half with a BH and seen them run 20 yds. before expiring.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Right on Sneaky Pete.  Bunnies die easy, though most everyone has a story about one that got away.  Squirrels are another story.  They're tough critters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©