3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip HS vs non HS ?  (Read 649 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Whip HS vs non HS ?
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Is there much of a performance difference between the HS and non- HS Whip ? Thanks.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip HS vs non HS ?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
yes... My buddy (bdgr) is a long time whip shooter and his newest Whip, same poundage, cased him to increase arrow spine.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
I wouldn't balk at buying a used whip with the non-HS limbs if you found a good deal, but if buying new definitely get the new HS

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
Why isn't the 66" Whip available as an HS bow ?
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
First it was the 58, 60, and 62. Recently the 64. Perhaps the 66 is next or maybe it's already perfected.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
Dan has made me a few of both. The H.S. Whip seems to have a slight "pre-load" and is probably a few fps faster. I have said this before but the H.S. Whip is I.M.O. the very finest bow I have ever shot yet I still shoot a Toelke Super D about 95% of the time, there is something magical about them.  Jim

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 01:37:00 AM »
The HS whip is nice Fred and it is definatly a fast shooter.Faster than the original Whip as would be expected.HS stands for high speed I do believe

It has a very crisp feel to it when shot.It dampens out quick and has little to no handshock.I think the very narrow deep cored limbs and diminutive tips help a lot in this regard.It has as narrow and deep a cored limb as any more aggressive hybrid style longbow available.

With my SBD string and wool puffs its very quiet
I think the longer riser helps with its performance/shootability.I like the 64 inch HS alot.I have not tried the shorter versions.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
The 66" Whip already has the amount of reflex it needs. I've inquired about this previously.
There is a different feel between the two versions of the same weight at full draw. I don't know if this makes sense but to my observation, the HS has a bit more of a springy feel at full draw vs the non HS, which is possibly because the tips are still opening. The same can be said for the redesigned Super D limb profile. Both Whip limb profiles are very likable imho and there is a bit more zip to the HS version.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all your input. To complicate matters more there's a Pika on Dan's site that has caught my eye as well.
Decisions.....decisions.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
I've had both and I prefer the HS.  The original is sooo quiet though and has more of a "D" profile.  I recently won Dan's Pika on the St. Judes auction and look forward to shooting that one as well.  As you said; Decisions....decisions.  One good thing though, if any decision results in a Toelke, it will be the "right" decision.

Shoot straight (and often).
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Can somebody tell me what the HS stands for, or explain what the difference in the HS and the non-HS is? I even looked on his website, and can't find it!

Bisch

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:20:00 AM »
HS stands for high speed. Here is the difference in the limb profile between the non-hs and the HS.
Non on the left, hs on the right  

HS on the left, in non-hs on the rt

64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
Todd, those are excellent pics to show the differences. Thank you!

I have a non-HS 2pc 64" Whip. I love it!
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
I own a HS and love it.  I do know from my experience watching the classifieds that the non HS whips seem to be up for sale for awhile vs the HS whips.
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
I got my 64" 2-piece HS Whip about a month ago.  When I ordered it I asked Dan to educate me on the on the HS model.  Before I could get the sentence out of my mouth, he said get the HS.  He said the changes they made with the HS version improved the bow overall.  He said they rarely make non-HS bow anymore.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
It's a little hard to see but in the pics, there is a little more reflex in the limb on the HS. Here ya go. I straightened out the two pics to give a clearer detail. HS on the right  
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »
Toelke's are fine shooters regardless of the model and I certainly wouldn't base a purchase on speed alone.  Using a slightly lighter arrow can easily address the few feet per second difference that might be present...if that really matters.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Certainly wouldn't pass up a non-HS if it were for sale on the classifieds for a good price,  but if ordering new, no reason not to get the HS.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
I just got my second whip it is a HS 42# and it shoots same arrows as my orig whip, a non HS 50#.  That said, I wouldn't part with either.  Dan makes the finest bows on the planet!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Toelkes regardless of model are always a good decision.  I have tried all of Dan's models except the new Pika.  Love a Whip of any sort.  My favorite model to date is the Chinook.  If you have not tried one, but have been wondering, do it.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©