3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TD Bow in Carry-On?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
TD Bow in Carry-On?
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
I normally toss my TD bows into a duffel and they go into the baggage hold when I fly. No problems, but I still wish I could do better. I see guys bringing fishing rods and other such stuff into the cabin as carry-ons. Has anyone here EVER flown with their TD bow as a carry-on?

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TD Bow in Carry-On?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I don't believe you can, due to the fact that it will be considered a weapon.  I bought an old Bear recurve back in the late 90's (pre-911) while on a business trip and could not bring it on the flight.  It didn't have a string either.

With the rules from TSA now, I would believe you could get into some big trouble in your carry-on.  Just my thought.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
I called and asked, they said no! But that was in 2009. I'd bet my bottom dollar nothing has changed.

Bisch

Offline Brandywine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
Whatever one airline or airport says can vary.  Call the airlines involved and get it in writing.  Have seen airlines contradict themselves.  Got clear to gate and only then, even with a written pass AND security passing me at the scan point, did the security people appear at the gate announcing in loud voices that I had a,weapon.  Big scene.  I had to check it in ski box.  Best get there early and be prepared.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
It won't happen ....... :(
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
Trouble with calling and asking from what I've seen, is that people on the phone make up answers they THINK might be right, and regardless, you have no recourse when you get there if the counter person is of another belief... saying "So and So told me on such and such date" doesn't cut it... That happened to several people I know...

December 2011, I carried on a  3 piece T/D bow in a bow sock for 3 piece in my carry on... arrows were in a large PVC home-made tube in checked baggage...since then, no go! EVERY thing goes Checked baggage only!

Last trip I took, I shipped EVERYTHING via FedX to my destination...boots, bow, clothes, arrows, you name it...Better insurance and not much more expensive for the total weight then the danged baggage charges you do NOT know will be there when you arrive.  Especially a concern if you're doing one of those 3-day or short hunts in the boonies where your gear might show up after you left!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
I tried it once a couple years ago, but not again.  Even though the arrows were stored in checked baggage, these Einstein's said, "Yeah, but you could use a pencil."  

It's not worth the chance or the hassle, so just pack it well and keep your fingers crossed...or ship ahead to destination.
Lon Scott

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Just stick it down your pant leg, they'll never find it!  Lol

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
I normally toss my TD bows into a duffel and they go into the baggage hold when I fly. No problems, but I still wish I could do better. I see guys bringing fishing rods and other such stuff into the cabin as carry-ons. Has anyone here EVER flown with their TD bow as a carry-on?
Fred Bear did...

Check it chief. If say the odds of that happening are a billion to one. Not worth the hassle, headaches, and ultimately lawyer fees to get your confiscated "weapon" back.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 12:52:00 PM »
Yup, it needs to be in a checked bag, but doesn't have to be in a locked bag like a firearm.  I would say it's treated somewhat like a knife.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline FoCoBlackWidow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
I wouldn't mess with it. TSA can change their minds at any time and all of a sudden you're stuck without a bag to properly check it in.
FoCoBlackWidow

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
I personally believe I would be more dangerous with a 3 piece carbon Sage in a 9 wt.

I'll be checking my bow as usual. I need to find a better way to protect it in a duffel without adding 5 extra pounds.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »
I don't think this one weighs a pound:

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
[QB] I don't think this one weighs a pound:
Details man....details.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
I work at an airport and deal with TSA often-daily.  Every one here is reasonable, but would tell you the bow goes below.  Now--if you were to get your bow out of X airport, the TSA at your arriving airport,Y, may not let you take it back home.  Best pack it in your kit.

I have an old military seabag I added a few inches to.  Boots in bottom, tube with bow nad arrows in center, clothes packed around the tube and pack on top-lock and done.  One piece bow might take a plastic ski carrier-$ and another checked bag.  I get teh financial end of traveling with a bow--security really has made this too difficult.  
Just teh other day I sawa guy carrying a staff like Gandolf enrout to board-go figure.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline ausjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Kevin, I have a bow case from Far North Archery which is a little less neat and tidy than the rifle style case (like Steve O's), but is absolutely bullet proof. I have absolute confidence that all my gear will be ok. If you fly a lot, check it out...

http://www.farnortharchery.com/product/3-piece-takedown-travel-case-recurve-or-longbow-plus-arrows/

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Not only won't they let you take bows as carry-on, but golf clubs either.  I used to play a lot of golf, and also traveled a lot on business.  I wanted to take a putter to put around with in my hotel room.  It wouldn't fit in my checked bags, but would barely fit in my hanging suit bag, but they wouldn't let it on the airplane.  This was pre-9/11, when they still had a little sense of humor, so I asked them if they couldn't just hide it from me somewhere where I couldn't find it and use it as a weapon, but no go.  It rode in the baggage section all by itself and fortunately showed up on the conveyor belt where I was going.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
The Far North cases are killer-nice, but too heavy for what I want. If the airlines didn't make us suffer over weight and/or extra baggage, this is what I'd use absolutely.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Kevin,

I think everybody is right it needs to go below deck.  

That said, whenever I take Pigger (my one piece selfbow) on a hunt it travels as a carry on in a lightweight, 62", fly rod tube with sage, Winston, T&T, Lamson, and Hardy stickers on it. I've never had a problem other than having a lot of other fishermen come up and start talking about spey rods and what not.  when I tell them I have never used one they get a real confused look on their faces.  Used the used tube on my AK moose hunt when I met you and Bryan in Fairbanks a few years back.  Now that I think of it, going home the lady running it through the scanner kind of raised her eyebrows and held it for a few seconds, then smiled and handed it over to me.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Kevin,

This is not a gun case it is a FieldLocker arrow case. I've removed one set of the arrow foam and added two pieces of foam, one thin along the entire bottom and one thick with cutouts for riser, limbs, etc. I can't find a model number but it is about 10"x36". You can see from the photos I add some bubble wrap or plastic bags I can use on my hunt to protect my bow in case any arrows fall out. None have yet but why chance it. Anyway, I usually put a couple thin nylon straps around it as well as a precaution to keep everything together and this has at least 100,000 miles on it and provides plenty of protection in the duffle.

It weighs 3# empty.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©