3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking of shortening arrows is this overkill?(back quiver)  (Read 605 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey fellas,
I just acquired a new back quiver which I love. The problem for me is I did not take into account that my arrows are a little longer for spine reasons. But it makes it a little more difficult drawing them from my back quiver. So I would like to shorten them by cutting them and adding  weight up front.
So here's what I currently shoot Beeman MFX 400s 30.5 in. 100 grain insert with a 125 point. 3-5in. Feathers.
I'd like to get them down to 28.5 so I would have to go to 200 gr. point and a 100 gr. insert equalling  300 up front. According to the spine calculated I'm right there,as,I am with my current arrow.
My bow is a big Jim buffalo @50 lbs at 28 my draw about 27.5
Would this be overkill for my set up I know it's only 2 in. But I have some older arrows cut to 28.5 and they draw so much nicer out of my back quiver and once I add BH it they will even be longer
Thanks for you opinions
Tim

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking of shortening arrows is this overkill?(back quiver)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
I think if you cut 2 inches off youre going to need to go to a .500 spine class.  2 inches is a lot!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by 9 Shocks:
I think if you cut 2 inches off youre going to need to go to a .500 spine class.  2 inches is a lot!
Obviously going to a 500 spine would be ideal  I would give up some weight but could easily get the shorter length. I'm trying to get by with what I have. According to the spine calculator by going from a 125 up to a 200 I could cut 2 in.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
If you got an arrow to spare give it a go.  I think the spine calculator is off when it comes to cutting carbons and adding point weight to compensate.  Carbons IMHO seem to respond more to length changes than point weight changes.
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. fingers:

Obviously going to a 500 spine would be ideal  I would give up some weight but could easily get the shorter length. I'm trying to get by with what I have. According to the spine calculator by going from a 125 up to a 200 I could cut 2 in. [/b]
Not saying those arrows couldn't work for you but I agree that cutting 2" off of carbon stiffens them up more than 75 grains would offset.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline rscornutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 12:14:00 AM »
I would try adjusting the way you wear the quiver and give yourself time to get used to it before putting yourself through all the trouble of cutting arrows.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 02:19:00 AM »
I am with the guys above, you need to go to 500 spine arrows.

cutting 2" off you are going to need more than 75gr increase.  I would say 250-300gr increase.

When trimming my carbons I go 1/4" at a time.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
I agree, I don't think you could possibly add enough weight to compensate for cutting two inches. As already said,carbons react much more to changes in length than they do to point weight.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
I think your nuts man. Lol. If you have a well tuned arrow that you are accurate with why start all over? Just trad the back quiver for one that fits better or sell it and buy one that's longer!  Tune you methods for carrying your arrows around your arrows not vice versa man.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
I am in the same camp as those who say do not cut the arrows. You will have a tough time selling carbons cut that length (short). Even with your draw I would not want to cut the 500 spine less than 29inches. My draw is about the same as yours and that is what I cut my carbons to for my 55# and 60# bows.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 07:59:00 PM »
So I get what you are all saying 2 inches is a lot for a carbon. ive entered the different numbers of my current set up and the shorter set up with heavier heads and they come out  the same.
Not saying I'm going to do it. But I have some 28.5 in arrows with a 2 in footing and a 160 gr. head that I have been shooting with my longer arrows and it groups with them ok but I can see it kick tail right occasionally which makes me ponder would 40 more gr. even it out.
Nothing wrong with the back quiver like I said my arrows are a little longer than they should be.
I do have other quivers for hunting I have a big Jim bow quiver and an safari tuff arrow master. And a cat quiver I just like the idea of a back quiver. I can draw arrows,fine out of it but like I said the shorter ones I don't have to extend my arm as much
That said looking at the prices of 200 gr. heads new inserts  sharpening system etc... I may just reevaluate. And wait til next yr and get some 500s
I was,just wondering if 300 up,front is overkill.
Tim

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 05:00:00 AM »
I shoot 31" arrows and use a back quiver sometimes.

I can't reach the arrow nock so I have to grab it by the shaft.

I'm not into rapid fire though so I really don't care. While walking in the woods, as often as not, the quiver is slid down under my bow arm so the arrows clear the brush anyway.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
75grs increase may get you 1/4" to 1/2" max shorter and be in tune. I agree with others, you will need to go down an arrow spine for 2".

Nothing wrong with 300 up front, higher foc shoots and penetrates well. Increasing front weight is good as long as total arrow weight remains reasonable or trajectory at distances comes into play.
shoot straight shoot often

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Is this a case of the tail wagging the dog?  Your arrow setup should drive your quiver setup, not the other way around.

Might be cheaper to get a deeper quiver anyway.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 10:21:00 PM »
That is exactly the reason that I like wood and the older narrow width thick walled aluminums like 1920s and 1918s. Having arrows sticking that far out of a back quiver is a pain for a still hunter. As John Sculz put it,"getting that second arrow out of the quiver and onto the string will pay off in bowhunting."

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Well,
Not that I don't believe any of you  your probably right but I've punched the numbers in over and over again and according to the calculator they will work. I ordered some 200 gr. feild points. I will play around with my 28.5 in arrows  from my recurve first and just see what kind of flight I get.then maybe check through paper   then bare shaft tune before I cannibalize my existing set up.
I'll let ya know what I get.
Tim.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
I don't particularly like arrows longer than they need to be.  I cut all mine to 1 inch beyond the back of the bow at full draw and tune with insert, adaptor and point weight and side plate thickness.

You're right on the edge of being too stiff if you cut off 2 inches, but why not do it on one arrow and see how it works out.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 02:07:00 AM »
Turn it into a side quiver. Leave the arrows alone.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
In response to your questions about 300 grains up front being overkill for your setup.... I don't believe there is any such thing as overkill for bow hunters.  Don't worry about that.  I would tune the quiver and not the bow, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with it,

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by NBK:

Originally posted by Mr. fingers:

Obviously going to a 500 spine would be ideal  I would give up some weight but could easily get the shorter length. I'm trying to get by with what I have. According to the spine calculator by going from a 125 up to a 200 I could cut 2 in. [/b]
Not saying those arrows couldn't work for you but I agree that cutting 2" off of carbon stiffens them up more than 75 grains would offset. [/b]
300 grains of point weight isn't going to equal cutting 2" off a carbon shaft.... If you want shorter arrows... go to 500's.......

Getting used to your sight picture with 2" shorter arrows is going to be a factor too..... your point on is going to increase significantly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©