3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rhino vs fury string material  (Read 583 times)

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
rhino vs fury string material
« on: June 19, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
What are the differences? I think bigfoot and centaurs come with rhino IIRC and l don't know anything about fury.

The most important thing for me is quiet.

I went from an unknown 8 strand to d10 6 strand and got a lot louder. Looking to quiet this thing back down.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rhino vs fury string material
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
I'm shooting a new Fury string on my longbow that was recently made for me by Ten Ring Strings. I must say that it is the best string material that I've ever shot (very fast and quiet). Be aware however that Fury is so low stretch that it'll shoot an arrow faster than other low stretch strings and that it will change the tune of your bow. My bare shaft test went from showing slightly stiff to slightly weak shooting the Fury. I ended up cutting my arrows 1/8" shorter to get them back in tune. I'm sorry that I do not have any experience with Rhino. My other low stretch strings are D-97 and 450+.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
I have built a bunch of strings out of both. Both are fantastic materials. Fury is a slightly higher grade HMPE. It is a very thin, light weight material.

I build most of my Fury strings with 18 strands (which is similar in diameter to 12 strands of D97), yet performs like a very skinny string. It is also very quiet as Michael stated above.

I recently switched almost all my FF strings over to Fury. I have not had one negative comment from a customer about it.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I have built a bunch of strings out of both. Both are fantastic materials. Fury is a slightly higher grade HMPE. It is a very thin, light weight material.

I build most of my Fury strings with 18 strands (which is similar in diameter to 12 strands of D97), yet performs like a very skinny string. It is also very quiet as Michael stated above.

I recently switched almost all my FF strings over to Fury. I have not had one negative comment from a customer about it.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
Our string maker introduced us to Fury about 6 months ago.  After testing we switched to it for our stock strings.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
I think one is 100% HMPE, the other has some Vectran in it.  Can't remember which is which.  Wish Brownell would give more info. on their materials.

String materials with Vectran tend to be quieter.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
I did some testing for Allen on a Whippenstick Phoenix, one of the highest performance 3pc recurves currently available and at 20-25 yds/ 9-10gpp both materials shot essentially the same.  The only difference I noted was the Rhino seemed to have a little more soft/matte physical appearance to it where the Fury seemed a little tiny bit glossier and the Rhino had maybe a tiny bit more soft shot feel, but that is my subjective evaluation since the Brownell folks actually claim the Fury to have less pulse...it may have just been that particular bow.  Obviously the Fury is a smaller strand diameter so requires a few more strands to get the equivalent diameter Rhino string.  Both are superb and will do wonders for any FF capable bow as far as eliminating brace height creep etc.  I have never measured more than 1/16 to maybe 1/8" creep on a brand new Rhino, Fury or BCY-X string once brace is initially set.  Once shot in for a session they don't budge at all.  The top materials today are fast, quiet, and durable.  Rhino, Fury and X are so much more abrasion resistant than D97 etc.  You won't go wrong.  Allen makes all my strings so I happily use Fury or Rhino, both work brilliantly for my purposes.  Try some on a Hill bow side by side with some B50 and you'll really see how inferior and obsolete B50 is LoL.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
I have several Rhino strings from Allen with no complaints, BUT the Fury strings (from Allen) seems to get rid of most of the carbon (carbon limbs)PING or TWANG that has bothered me in the past.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline Breathn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:00 PM »
Fury lays really good when twisted..I've tested it on compounds,recurves and longbows..does very well on all of them .I run all new materials through test on my apple server which goes to 500 pds and it is up there with best of them in all aspects..I like rhino also but fury is my favorite from Brownell ..speed test ive done 20 strands of fury and 20 strands of bcy x were within 1fps of each other but fury seemed touch quieter.Fury is also really durable ,hunted with it on compound last yr and it handled season well..will try this year on my trad Bows..

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
After my first order , all EagleWings will have Fury Strings. I absolutely love them. Also Ten Ring makes one of the nicest strings I have seen and the service is par excellence/ Now where is my last order? It was sent but hasn't got here.

God bless, Steve

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
Steve, I just checked the tracking # for your strings. It looks like they arrived at your P.O. yesterday. Hopefully you get them today.

The P.O. has really been slipping lately!

My apologies!

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Here is a direct quote from a Brownell rep explaining the different aspects of Fury and Rhino:

FURY --> This is our Top Shelf, high performance string material. It is not a blended product so there is no Vectran, it is 100% Ultra High Weight Molecular Polyethylene (UHWMPE). We had people asking for a micro diameter string material that pushed the envelope for speed, stability and something that offered a soft shot. After. many samples run and some fine tuning of material we ended up with what we now refer to as FURY. The most exciting thing for myself as an archer was the stability of the FURY. Not only does it settle in very quick once on the bow, it doesn't move after that. We tested FURY in every weather situation possible, super dry hot heat, super humid weather, ice cold New England weather..... You name it the FURY was in it and it still never budged. To have a material that does not change at all in difference climates was key, this is what shooters need especially shooting ASA and IBO tournaments where the weather is always changing. Take for example the Florida Pro am this year, uncharacteristically cold at the beginning of the tournament and ended with 70 degree weather. Also take into account that Tim Gillingham won, shooting FURY!!!

Besides its stability FURY has been reported by customers and consumers to be a contender for one of the fastest materials out there. I'm not going to dive too deep into the speed battle since there are far too many variables to argue one material is the fastest out there. However I can say that our builders and customers have seen FURY to increase speed more often than not.

On top of the stability and speed that FURY offers it also offers a very soft, quiet shot as well as makes a killer looking string. Most of the time the first thing a string builder or consumer notices about their FURY strings is how smooth and shiny they are. Part of this is the material itself, but I also think some of it has to do with the small strands which allow the color bundles to pack together tighter once burnished.

Rhino --> Rhino has been adopted by a lot of shops as the go to all purpose material. Rhino was originally developed as a crossbow string material because of its very high strength (averaging 130 lb break per strand), and its lack of creep on Compounds as well. Once it was sent out to some of our customers we had a huge influx of Traditional Bowyers and shooters start ordering the Rhino because it was working so well as a flemish and endless loop string material.

Hope this helps!

Offline snowplow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
Thanks awesome info!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
There is company called BCY that makes a material called X...you might want to consider it as well...anywhere from 20 to 24 strands...fast and quiet on my bows...just clocked my Cari-Bow at 155 fps with a 908 grain arrow

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Wow...just noticed I have been a member for over 6 years now...must be getting older...just wish I was smarter

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
Thanks Allen--that's much more than I was ever able to get from them.

I agree Dave--X is my go-to.  A small amount of Vectran (17%) makes it more stable and usually more quiet, although if speed if the #1 priority then 8190 (100% SK90 Dyneema) is the ticket.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me how many strands of Fury would be equal to a strand of D-97?  Thanks!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by Butchie:
Can anyone tell me how many strands of Furry would be equal to a strand of D-97?  Thanks!
I can tell you that 18 strands of Fury is almost identical in dia. to 12 strands of D97

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Allen I got my order of Fury strings Saturday,. Thanks for the excellent service and the nicest product I have seen and used. Length is perfect, loop size is perfect, service is perfect, Time from order to receipt of strings is outstanding.
Highly recommend the Fury string. They are amazing in how small the 18 strand string is. they look like an eight strand or 10 strand of anything else I have had. So far the performance is great.

God bless, Steve

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Steve, you are very welcome!  Have a great Father's Day!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©