3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Longbow???  (Read 718 times)

Offline IAhunter86

• Trad Bowhunter
New Longbow???
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:55:00 AM »
I'm new to traditional archery, being only my second years at it. I'd like to get a new custom longbow for this years deer season. Anybody that can steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: New Longbow???
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
If you want it by September your best bet would be a Toelke.   www.montanabows.com   one of the best choices out there with customer service to rival all comers.  There are a few other bowyers out there with short turn around times but I can't think of them right this moment.  Some other folks will likely chime in and remember for me.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Take a look at what Abe has available in stock on the Cari-Bow website

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
Nobody here can tell you what you will like best!

That being said, I can tell you what I like best, and that would be the Sarrels Blueridge takedown longbow.

Bisch

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 09:42:00 AM »
Do a search on Bisch.  He is a kill'in machine with his Blue Ridge.  I've got one also that is a beauty and great shooter but I'm not the hunter Bisch is.

There is also a nice Toelke Whip in the Classifieds. You won't be disappointed with that one either.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
 Nobody here can tell you what you will like best!
Exactly.  Message boards are a great place to hear the positive, but you won't hear much negative, even if it's earned.

To do it right, you'll have to do your homework.  First off I'd check warranties, and make sure they are in writing.

Unfortunately the most popular custom bowyers are generally the ones that are furthest behind.  Black Widow is an exception.

Everyone has their favorite, but you are the main variable.  A good hunter will kill game with a selfbow.  A lousy shot will miss regardless of the weapon.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
Well, you will need to decide what YOU mean by a longbow.  Do you mean a straight limbed small riser Hill or Hill style, or do you mean the RD mostly recurve style of hybrid bow that is often called a longbow?  I am not in any way casting aspersions on any style of bow--the Lord knows I love my Hills and Hill style bows, my Bear recurves, and my Treadway hybrid Black Swamp.  Just saying...."longbow" means different things to different folks.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
I'm guessing several bowyers have some stock bows that they might sell if they meet your needs.  Custom, but not customized to your request.  RER used to have some, not sure what they've got going just now.

If you want it custom to your spec's, yup, you gotta wait.  Or, buy a used one here !
ChuckC

Offline IAhunter86

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
I shoot a Bear grizzly now, I really just like the looks of a longbow to be honest, and how quiet they are. Ive been hunting with a compound for 5 years now, and the challenge of traditional archery has caused me to slowly make the switch. I'm a fan of the RD longbows, and being that I do most of my hunting out of a climber, I need something maneuverable in a tree. Sarrels has a 50# blueridge takedown that has my interests. I was really just curious which bowyers you guys prefer. The black widows are pretty sweet too/

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Robertson Stykbow has bows ready made, Dick Robertson is one of the finest bow makers there is. We have a bunch of them. It is quite easy to use any length bow out of a climber, just cant the bow when shooting down, which is a natural thing to do with a longbow.

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
I'm loving my Black Widow PLIII...

It's a pleasure to shoot and has a very nice cast... plus it's only a few hours down the road ( southwest Missouri)!!!!

Depending on where in Iowa you are, it could be a very manageable roadtrip. I highly recommend going and seeing them.

Good luck and God bless,

Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline AZ_Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
Well I am have 3 Bamabows, 2 hunters,and a tribute royal take down, Nate made them all to my exact specifications from length to wood used and veneers ,they are spot on draw weight at the exact draw, and I have to say every one of them are works of usable art. his warranty is awesome as well.

no matter what one you get ,If you have the money for it I would recommend a takedown longbow. makes life a lot easier when packing for a hunt.
"There's only two things an arrow wants to do, it wants to fly and it wants to hit its target. It's in its very nature. Don't over think it."

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
I second Toelke bows. Either used, in stock on the website or custom, but that is what I like.
I will recommend that you look at longbows of the reflex deflex type first before you dive into the Hill styles.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
Of all I have shot I would have to recommend a Mohawk Sparrowhawk or a Robertson Primal Styk.  Both are reflex deflex with bamboo cores and are outstanding bows...

have heard nothing but good things also about Toelke but not shot them.

I have shot Sentman, Noble, Keep It Simple, Black Widow, Wes Wallace, Howard Hill, Bear and Tomahawk...but prefer the Mohawk and Robertson to them all personally.

Good luck....pick some after reviewing others thoughts, visiting bowyer website for pictures and info...then try to shoot one of each that made your final cut.  Some allow TRY BEFORE BUY like Robertson Stykbows so you can see if you like it for a week or two before ordering one or keeping one they sent.

Good luck.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline rocketman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
I see your from Iowa, I highly recommend J.K. Traditions Kanati over in Forest City.

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Give Al Kimery at Tradition-Al bows a shot. He does great work, has very reasonable prices, and fast turn around time on orders. I have one of his recurves and could not be happier with it. Do a Google search and you'll find his web site. Really nice guy to boot.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Pretty partial to Wes Wallace bows, you,d be looking around December if you ordered one now though.. I,d also suggest looking real hard at getting a takedown.
If ordering a new bow, Toelke could probably build you a takedown Whip in a month or less, there are probably too many good bowyers to try and list...

Another option to get you in the ballpark, the used bow section on here, think it's 35 bucks a year, check RMS inventory.,Or, once you narrow down what you're looking for, call the bowyers you are looking at, see if they might have a stock or test drive bow that meets your specks?.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Check the sponsers list of bowyers and contact them and see what they might have in stock and in used trade ins. I know that sometimes I take bows in trade if they are a nice vintage or well made custom that I like. I generally refinish if needed and sometimes set them up for ff string ect. and sell them as called on. Hardly ever advertise but do have them. I am sure other bowyers may do same or even have cosmetic seconds with a silvering in the glass ect that they will heavily discount and you get a perfectly good bow at a great price.

God bless, Steve

Offline FAV 52

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
Kanati from Jason Kendall Forest City Iowa Great bow and a master craftsmen ; the price is very reasonable for a custom made bow too . Where in Iowa are you ? If not to far you can come shoot mine .

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:00 PM »
My son says that he used to live around Cedar Falls, but thought that he moved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©