3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone hunt with a stabilizer on their recurve?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anyone hunt with a stabilizer on their recurve?
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I recently bought a howatt hunter off of the big auction site and the seller sent the bow with one of those cheap 4", 12oz stabilizers.  I set it aside and didn't give it much thought.  After I had the bow set up and tuned, I shot it for awhile. Then, on a whim, I put the stabilizer on it and shot some more. WOW!.  I have never tried a stabilizer on a recurve because it didn't feel "traditional" enough, like it was cheating.  But talk about a stable bow hand. I don't think I would carry the bow around with it on there, but I just might stick it in the fanny pack till I get into the tree or ground blind.  But if I post any pictures of a kill, I'll take it off the bow first so you guys don't make fun of me! lol.  Would be interested in hearing some thoughts on using one. Thanks - Jeff

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone hunt with a stabilizer on their recurve?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
I have on some recurves

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
I used to shoot Damon Howatt Super Diablos from the early 70s and they came with one. It really helped smooth out the shot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Caleb Monroe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
I have one on my recurve right now. I'll probably hunt it this year if I'm not using one of my longbows. For me the bow its on needed more weight. Made it balance better also.

If it helps you shoot better ( And fill the freezer) I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it. Just my $.02
Sweka St. Jude Hill Style 70" 50@31"
Wild Horse Creek Condor 64" 55@31"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Never used a stab but I do use the threaded hole for them in my Grizzly to attach a wrist strap.
SWA Spyder

Offline M Beach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
I have a 4 inch limbsaver on my Super Grizzly and it helps with the vibration/noise.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
Use them to help balance the bow better, extra weight is plus. Recheck your arrow tune as it may alter it.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
nah,  I like my bows lighter.  Besides, they are really designed with target archery stance in mind ( straight up and down bow hold) and that don't happen much here.
ChuckC

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
I never did till I wanted to use a string tracker and a stabilizer I had from my wheelie days made a nice standoff to mount it, really made that old bear 76'r easier to stay steady during a shot. Don't really feel like u need one with a bow quiver attached but think they would be very beneficial on lighter bows with no quiver attached.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
I say if it works for you, go with it!

And I would not laugh at you if the bow in your kill pic had a stabilizer on it!

Bisch

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
Let me see...Damon Howatt made the bow with a stabilizer bushing and if you put a stabilizer in the bushing it will make the bow non traditional...and then what happens...you have me confused

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
I have a Howatt Hunter, a Fox Maverick and a Hoyt Desperado that will all accept a stabilizer...and I would proudly hunt with all 3 with a stabilizer installed...and I would still get an asterisk in the Pope and Young Records...if people wish to laugh at me for that then more power to them

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
I used one (the Bear stabilizer)on a Howatt Hunter for several years back in the eighties. One of the most accurate rigs I ever shot.
Seemed like if I shot at something with that rig it died.

Shoot whatever makes you grin.    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
I have one of those Bear stabs. It is chromed. It came in a leather pouch that acts as a cover when screwed into the bow. I remember them in Bear catalog about 1970? I use mine on my Bear Mag riser.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Charlie, that bottom picture is too cool. Did that ever make any magazines or covers?

My Dad shoots a little stabilizer on his KMag every now and then, usually doesn't hunt with it though.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 08:34:00 AM »
shreffler... Nope never made a cover, but one of my all time favorite photos... and a great day chasing elk too.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Damon Howatt Super Diablo ! Just bought it last year, looks brand new even though its a 70's bow. I haven't hunted with it yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
And who says if you put a stabilizer on the bow it will not be traditional?  Why do you think all of those older bows from back in the day when "traditional" was all we had came with an insert for them?  It makes me chuckle when I see the current attitudes toward what is or is not "traditional".  Those of us who lived those times don't get in a sweat about it.  Lots of things were common then that would get you labeled as non-trad now. Why on earth does anyone worry about that stuff any way?  Shoot it the way you like it. And, yes, I have frequently used a stabilizer on my bow and not afraid to admit it.    :biglaugh:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©