3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Style Bow- Recommendations Please  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill Style Bow- Recommendations Please
« on: June 26, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
In the market for a Hill style bow in the upper 40s/low 50s for draw weight.  Can anyone steer me towards a strong shooter that I could pick up second hand in the $200-300 range.  The feedback from members on here is usually lights out!  Thanks in advance for any info you can pass my way.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Style Bow- Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:46:00 PM »
I can tell you there are a couple great ones in the classifieds section right now that are around the $300-$350 mark, but you can't access them unless you pay the $30/year contributor fee. If you're looking for good second hand prices, that's the way to go.

I can tell you it's well worth the investment and you will make your money back immediately just by having a place to buy/sell items you're looking for (and mostly things you weren't looking for     :thumbsup:
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
Howard Hill Archery--why get a Hill "style" when you can get the real McCoy?  I love my Hills and prefer them above my other "Hill style" bows. They show up on the classifieds from time to time.  I would just post an ad for one and see what happens.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
I've tried a bunch and my favorite by far are Steve Turay's Northern Mist Longbows.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
Northern Mist Classic.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
i really like my HH wesley special reverse handle LB, some folks dont care for the reverse handle.
 i hope someone has a northern mist shelton at ETAR this yr for sale, a little string follow is a good thing.
 i think youll have to shoot some different models to find out what you like.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
My vote goes to JD berry. His bows are amazing , and will fill any and all wants you have in a bow. My personal favorite is the MorningStar but his vixen is just a flat out great ASL in the traditional sense
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »
I've had some "Hill Style" bows from some of the best bowyers out there. My favorite so far is my Howard Hill Redman. The others were fine bows, but for me, I like the Redman the best.
(Rom. 10:13)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 03:05:00 AM »
The thing about getting used is rarely the life span of the bow, but quite often just not quite the right fit for the new owner.  The grip size, poundage and length are very important, it is not a one size fits all.  Some get them and figure that their form will be the same.  If you already shoot close to longbow form the adjustment will be minimal, but if you have a log draw, vertical bow, bridging grip and a straight bow arm, the adjustments will require more of a change.  There may be a considerable drop in draw length, again it all depends where you are starting from.  It is possible to do things differently and everyone does things slightly their own way.  Even John Schulz is not precisely the same as Howard Hill, but the fundamentals are the same.  If you have not done so, the Schulz videos available on You Tube are the place to start.  You do not need a long draw and heavy Hill to easily kill a deer.  I used to shoot very heavy bows, now I find 60 down to 50 pounds much more fun.  I know one fellow that has taken 4 elk with a 52@26 pound Hill style bow.  As far as which bow, they all will work, given the fit is right.  My wife has just joined the ranks, the Hill form was only a slight adjustment from her current bow, but with a few shots she found the groove and was hooked.  She says that there is something about her Hill and the Hill form that just go together.  If a 62 year old deer killing grandma can do it, you can to.

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Their are many great bowyers building the American Semi Longbow (Hill style) today and you can at times find ones no longer built. I have shot bows build by John Schulz, HH bow company, Northern Mist, JET, and Mahantango Bows and they all great shooters. Their are others out there but these are the one i have shot. Do you know what style you want? Straight, backset or stringfollow? What style grip? Straight, dish or locator? What length? 66,68,70" Did you ever shoot any of these combo's? If not i would shoot some and see what feels the best to you. It takes some time to master these bows and the bow will tell you when your doing something wrong. As far as handshock and arm jarring, none if you hold it right, shoot the proper arrow and i only shoot B50 B or B55 strings. If you get an American Semi Longbow put your other bows away and dedicate your self to it because switching bows while learning to shot it will mess you up until you become one with that bow. Just a lil info incase you didnt know about these bows. With the above bowyers stated you will not go wrong, again they all shoot great if you do your part. I have 2 Mahantangos and another one coming in Aug, 1 NM Classic and another on order, the HH's, Schulz's, and JET's my buddy owns and shoot them often and like them all. You will not go wrong with any of these different bowyers. I hope i was able to help and good luck on your quest for an American Semi Longbow.

Offline Bobtulowiecki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Guys thank you for the information.  I stumbled into a Java Man "American" longbow that I am going to grab. It has a bacote riser, actionboo and glass core with yew lams. I noticed that he no longer produces this model but I heard he has a great reputation.  Will keep you posted on how it goes

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
What would be an example (brand) of an "American Longbow" with a locator style grip?
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »
Kopper1013, Go to Northern Mist web site and you can see pictures of the locator grip that Steve does.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 03:08:00 PM »
I think the smoothest drawing bow of any I have owned is a Liberty longbow 68".  It's a string follow.  I couldn't believe how nice and gradual the draw was for a 54 lb bow.  Very nice.
Too bad I am a recurve guy!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
I shoot and like Howard Hill Archery and Northern Mist bows. I have shot bows by JD Berry, but unfortunately don't own one. I wish I did, though. I would recommend ay one of these three bowyers. Look around in the classifieds, and you can probably find a fine bow that you can afford.
Sam

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Stringfollow bows are very smooth drawing, little smoother then straight and backset. They are little more forgiving too.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Smoothest drawing Hill style bow I've ever pulled is my Northern Mist Shelton.  Mine is 68" and 52# @ 28"
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
For me, JD Berry all the way...  

They have the lowest amount of handshock, seem to shoot quicker (for their poundage)and are a work of art...

Please buy secondhand so he has time to build mine...  :)

Cheers
Alex

Offline longbow guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
For me, I really like David Miller Longbows
(david miller) old tom , black widow  pl III and  pl ll
wifes (david miller) little hawk
wifes black rhino
two tracks longwalker
MLA Member and Compton Member

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Shrew Hill is back

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©