3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: REQUEST: Someone smarter than I.  (Read 259 times)

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
REQUEST: Someone smarter than I.
« on: June 28, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
I am in the process of making a bunch of river cane shafts. My spine tester is in production as well. My plan is to keep the shafts 36 to 40 inches long or so, spine different segments of the shaft to determine which section falls within the range I am looking for. My question for the experts is, how much do you think the overhanging arrow on either side of my supports will play a roll in the reading? I feel like the extra weight hanging off the outside of the supports will make the shaft appear stiffer when I test it because gravity is pulling down on it and sort of counter-acting the 2 pound weight pushing down on it. Does this make sense? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Offline Jon Kaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: REQUEST: Someone smarter than I.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Assuming your spine tester is set up at 26" I don't think that the 5-7" overhang on each side would effect the measurement.  
Even if you had 14" of overhang on one side I don't think it would make much difference.
I don't think that the river cane is heavy enough for the overhang to stiffen the spine.
A few tries with different length shafts would tell you for sure.  I'd be interested in your results.
Never quit doing good.
}}}---------->
Bama Bows Hunter 64" 60@28
HHA Half Breed 64" 55@29
JD Berry Morning Star 66" 53@28

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
I appreciate it. I just need a few more of those 100 degree South Carolina days to dry these suckers on out so I can build some arrows.
 [/url] [/IMG]

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
I make my cane arrows(hill cane) 30" long for my 26" draw. My arrows are about 3/8" at the point end and 5/16" at the self nock. They shoot well from bows 45# to 65#. I only check spine on cane arrows to determine the stiff side, which goes against the bow.
 Just like with dowel arrows anything over 28" will reduce the effective spine by 5#per inch. This is for arrows with a 125gr head.

ps. congratulations to Charleston for its Amazing Grace!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Thank you Pat! This city truly is something special!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©