3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow fishing?  (Read 518 times)

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow fishing?
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:35:00 PM »
My brother just got his boat all rigged up for bow fishing, I've never been but my buddy told me (Do not use your good bows for bow fishing). Is this good advise or do you guys use your hunting bows for bow fishing?
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow fishing?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
Its good advise . But for many years I used my K-Mag for both hunting and bow fishing .
I never had a problem but I knew a guy that fell out of the boat in some shallow water on a gravel bar . Split the nock end of the bottom limb .
So I guess ,do you feel lucky ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
Without assistance they don't float!!!

Pool noodles cut into short lengths and taped on will keep it off the bottom.

I have several inexpensive bows designated just for fishing. Yours bows will get beat up, slimed and abused. Sometimes the action is fast and furious.

I have seen fish shot with $1000.00 bows also. The choice is all up to you.

It's an addictive sport. HAVE FUN!!

bretto

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
Over the years I have only lost one bow overboard, gone forever.
With the blood and the fish flopping around it can make a good bow look nasty.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:59:00 PM »
I have used all my bows for bowfishing from Grizzlys to my SAIII's. You can bust a bow on a hunting trip target shooting in your back yard or a 100 different ways. So it becomes a personal choice. Done more damage to my bows hunting then I ever did bowfishing. If we stopped doing everything because someone broke something or somehow got injured we would all stay home. And as they say most accidents occur at home.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I may just look for a cheap bow or buy a cheap kit with bow and all.
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
Sure hope you weren't thinking of taking that sweet looking  Zipper Nitro bowfishing !!!   :eek:   I use an older Bear Grizzly when we go out.

Bill

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 07:34:00 AM »
I have a  bow thats always set up for bow fishing.

I would have no issues using a more expensive bow but...... when you are in a boat with several other people and the action is heavy...... Things get beat up, kicked and stepped on and it doesn't have to be by you.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:21:00 AM »
No Bill not the Nitro but I was thinking about using my River Runner. I'd be afraid if I used the Nitro you'd drive down to Oklahoma and want to fight!
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Whitetail Addict

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
That sounds like good advice.

I've never been bowfishing either. I can't bring myself to use my longbow, but as soon as finances will allow, I plan on getting set up for it. It's gotta be a blast.

Have fun, and please post pics.   :thumbsup:  

Bob

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
I went bow fishing last weekend with an outfitter. I've never tried it before. Rather than rigging up my newer big Jim buffalo or my Bob Lee and spending the money on something I may only do once. I opted,to use the outfitters bows although not trad but still shooting fingers and instinctively a few practice shots with it and I was spot on. I don't think I would want to use either of my nice bows. Just the water the slime as mentioned and getting banged around not to mention if it were to get bumped into the lake.(drop your bow in the woods you can pick it up drop it in the lake and it maybe gone forever or a lucky fisherman may snag it.
That said I'd worry more about aiming low. I had a real hard time adjusting after training myself for years to pick a spot and shoot. I shot at more,fish than at under more fish. The water refraction messed me up not to mention depth.
I pretty much did not prepare correctly I put a fish target up and practiced shooting at it I should have been trying to shoot 8-12 in. Under it!  
Good luck it is a blast!
Tim

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
You guys keep talking about how fun it is has got me ready to get set up quick.
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »
I use my hunting bow. I bought that old BWidow MA3 back in 1999 to use, not hang on the wall til a sunny Sunday afternoon!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
I always used my regular hunting bow . I would think a Dacron string might be easier on your bow with those heavy fishing arrows , but I never tried it with a skinny low-stretch string.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
If you only go a few times per year you might be safe with a nice bow. But if you go several times per week mine has been in the water from Silver carp jumping in the boat and knocking the bow out of the boat when I was driving the boat.

It has been in the water when a buddy flipped my canoe. It has bounced out of my boat a couple times when the Mississippi river had white caps from heavy winds.

Twice I have knocked it off the deck when fighting carp over 30 pounds and they make a run.

All of the above has happened to friends that have been with me. One lost a bow for good a Silver carp hit it on the limb tip and flipped it out of the boat into the Illinois river. One has lost an AMS retriever reel fighting a silver carp while shooting from my boat and the tie straps that he had it strapped to the bow snapped.
PBS  Member

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
When I bowfish or use my kayak I just tether what I can't afford to lose. My paddle the kayak to my life jacket or some kind of twine or string to pull my bow or whatever that may go overboard. if its attached to me I can always retrieve it.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 10:50:00 PM »
Alright I decided to not use my hunting bows so today I bought a PSE Kingfisher 45# and upgraded the spool to an AMS retriever pro.
Now just need to get out there and do some fishing.
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by jt85:
Alright I decided to not use my hunting bows so today I bought a PSE Kingfisher 45# and upgraded the spool to an AMS retriever pro.
Now just need to get out there and do some fishing.
That is the exact same bow I use for bowfishing. They work great!

Good luck!

Bisch

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Sounds like a great setup. Let me know how you do buddy. Should be in for a lot of fun.   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2015, 06:04:00 PM »
For carp, in say, less than five feet of water.  How much bow would you guys recommend ?  I bought a 41# from a guy whose wife no longer shoots ( was her bow), with the idea of using it for bowfishing.  

It is actually a nice little bow !  I draw long so, maybe 45# is what I've got to work with.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©