3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Well, I learned something today.  (Read 718 times)

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, I learned something today.
« on: June 28, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
So, I figured I'd like to add some fur to the opening of my back quiver. I was up in Oklahoma City and they have a Tandy's leather up there. They didn't have anything really dense or water proof like otter or muskrat, however they did have lots of rabbit skins. I figured that as long as I used a good glue that rabbit would work just fine. Then today I learned the awful truth. Rabbit fur goes poof, mega-poof. When you cut rabbit fur there is a lot of fur that is shed. It goes EVERYWHERE, literally everywhere. It floats on the slightest breeze, even my breath was enough to send it airborne. Now, for those of you who have workshops and other dedicated workspaces, this may not be a problem. But I only have one desk, it is in my bedroom. My room now looks like someone beat up the energizer bunny. There is so much fur. It's on my desk, my bed, the carpet, the bookcase, it's even on my fan blades. *When working with fur, turn fans off.* It's gonna take me forever to get it all cleaned up. But I did manage to get my quiver all decked out in fur. I used Barge cement to glue the fur on. The pelt wasn't long enough to do the entire opening in one piece so I had to use two pieces but I think it looks alright. Especially since it was my first time working with fur. Here's a picture of my quiver with it's new fur coat.

I bought two pelts and only used one. I'm planning on making a side quiver sometime soon and I'll line the opening with fur. I think I'll try gluing it on before I stitch it up. Unless that's a bad idea. I don't know.
So, what do y'all think? Will rabbit work alright for this?
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Well, I learned something today.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
That's funny

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
It looks nice .
The story    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mohillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Beautiful job.  :-)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
You must be unmarried, otherwise you would be too crippled to type that story! Had a similar experience cutting rabbit skins for fly tieing, fortunately outdoors.

I like the look of it I'm finishing up two side quivers and am contemplating something like what you did.  Was thinking sheep skin.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
:laughing:

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
Well I'm glad the peanut gallery approves. So I spent a couple of hours yesterday cleaning up all the fur. Woke up this morning just to find more.

Originally posted by monterey:
You must be unmarried, otherwise you would be too crippled to type that story! Had a similar experience cutting rabbit skins for fly tieing, fortunately outdoors.

I like the look of it I'm finishing up two side quivers and am contemplating something like what you did.  Was thinking sheep skin.
Is it that easy to tell I'm single??? lol. I've never used rabbit fur for my flies. I'll have to save some of the scraps and tie me something.

Sheepskin might be easier. I couldn't find any that looked right. It was just yellow for saddle padding.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:00 PM »
Mebbe you did it like this, but I learned long ago to make my cuts from the back of the pelt, not so much flying fur that way.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by achigan:
Mebbe you did it like this, but I learned long ago to make my cuts from the back of the pelt, not so much flying fur that way.
That's what I did! I cut it with a new blade too. Perhaps I shouldn't have used a razor knife, maybe I should have used scissors? or with wet fur?
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
My ol' buddy Bill Miller used to say "Learn something new every day if'n yer not careful."
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Any day that ends with you saying you learned something is a good day imho...Nice quiver

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
Great job.  Not so much on the cutting indoors.  Should have cut it outside on the porch.  Hindsight is always 20/20.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
When cutting any fur cut from the skin side. Lots less fur flying when done this way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
I use a double bladed razor blade, trying to just get through the skin from the backside. I think scissors would fold over more fur and cause more of a problem. Some fly away fur is unavoidable.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Dorado, we use it to tie a fly called a Zonker.  Streamer hook with something shiny on the shank and the strip of rabbit fur tied along the back by anchoring at each end.  Looks very minnow!

Wt the fur!!   :thumbsup:    I think you got it there.  Wetting would control the loose fur and also, you could wet it and part it like the hair on your head and then cut down the part.
Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
Alright. I'm working on a side quiver and I'm lining it with the other rabbit pelt I bought. When I get to working with the fur I think I'll try wetting the fur and parting it so that I can cut down the part. I'll make sure I'm using a new blade in my knife as well.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Would like to see the finished product.
!
Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Would like to see the finished product.
!
I'm working on it slowly. I'm still trying to figure out what all I'm doing. I have the base almost complete, I just need to cut a piece of wood and foam for the end cap and I still have to add fur to the inside. The top I still need to cut out and I need to make the back bone and attach the D-rings for the strap. But it's coming along. I've just about figured out how to stitch and make it look good.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
What sort of pattern are you using?
Monterey

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 10:55:00 AM »
I'm not following a pattern. I saw a side quiver I like so I'm copying it. I bought some leather online a while back but it wasn't all that great, so I'm stuck using smaller pieces of it to make what I want. But it works and looks good. Here's what I'm making.
   Diamondback side quiver.

I'm changing a few basic things but that's roughly what I'm making.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©