3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy single bevel recommendation  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy single bevel recommendation
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
I need to choose a screw in broadhead that is roughly 250 grains. I believe I'm going to go with a grizzly 185 with a 75 grain steel adapter. Would consider a tuffhead if they made one lighter than 225, as I have decided not to use an aluminum screw in adapter. I heard that RMS may offer a 250 grain cutthroat soon. Are there any other single bevel broad heads out there that I should consider that weigh roughly 250 grains?

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy single bevel recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
If you didn't want to wait for the 250 grain cutthroat,you could go with the 160 grain glue on and a 100 grain steel adapter. That would be pretty close at 260 grains.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Charlie the 250gr Cutthroat will be out in plenty of time for hunting season! I'm shooting the 200gr and they are hands down best broadhead I've ever shot! Lifetime guarantee except for loss and no better guys to deal with! I've used grizzlies and they are good heads but they don't hold a candle to the Cutthroats as far as ease of sharpening and there's no weak link adapter!!!!!!!!! I caught my arm guard last winter and the arrow hit way back on the doe I shot with them, and anyways long story short I got lucky and hit an artery, poked four holes through her hide and took one of the little wing bones on a vertebrae out and I could still shave hair with that head!!!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Sapcut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
Vintage Archery makes the TuffHead as well as the MeatHead, that is 190 grains.  Looks just like the TuffHead but carbon steel.
Black Widow PSAX 71@31
Faith is Life

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
Abowyer Brown Bear screw-in, 250 grn, no adapter needed.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 02:55:00 AM »
Hard to beat a 185gr. Grizzly !!!   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 06:00:00 AM »
Cutthroat here for sure ..no welds or brazing it's a solid one piece head!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:02:00 AM »
Helix. Various weights available. I've been using them since 2010. I've used 100, 125, 200, and for the past two years, 155 grains. I use different insert weights to make weight.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
I bought some of those 200 Cutthroats recently and am totally impressed so far.  Hope to have some more experience in the field with them come this fall.
ChuckC

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm not a fan of broadhead adaptors at all, but I use them with no problem. They're another component which affects alignment and centering. I don't have any problem with them as far as strength or durability. I would much prefer a strong single-bev screw-in with all the other features I want. I currently favor (and have for years) the Abowyer Wapiti glue-on combined with a steel adaptor to equal 250 grains. I just really prefer the dimensions of this head over everything else I've seen. Since they don't offer it in a screw-in config, I continue to use adaptors.

Lots of good s-b heads on the market, so it's pretty much a matter of what you prefer. There is no best or even way better head out there, but I suspect there is some cheaper stuff. Happy shopping!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
My experience and preference mirror's Kevin's.  There are several other good single bevel broad heads out there. I just adopted Abowyer's when they first came out and have been shooting them ever since. Still shoot some double bevels as well because I've been shooting them for ages.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Abowyer 250 looks good. I would prefer not fooling with adapters. I will buy in August to give me a few weeks before Oct 1 opening day here, so hopefully the cutthroat is out by then.

I will say $45 for 6 grizzlies sounds better than $60 for 3 abowyer stainless. I suppose I won't lose any of them unless I make a really bad shot (possible haha)...if paying 2-3 times more guarantees they will not break I say it's worth it...what do y'all think? I had a grizzly Kodiak 200 bend a little after shooting a rock. The grizzly 185 is thicker steel therefore stronger. I know any of these heads will be very effective on deer, but I am willing to shell out a few extra $$ if the head will legitimately last longer and remain undamaged after heavy bone/rock impacts.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Cutthroats from RMSGear all the way
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I've been shooting Grizzly Broadheads for 5 years and really like them.  Currently shooting the 235 gr. Kodiak plus a 75 gr. adapter.  I shoot in a BH league in the summer, shooting into sand pits and the Grizzlys stand up for a whole summer of shooting and they don't break the bank.  I know we spend a ton of money on a lot of stuff in this sport but personally I choke at dishing out $15 each for any broadhead when I can get all the performance I need out of an $8 broadhead.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
I wanted a 3:1 ratio, screw in at 200gr but its not availble anywhere so I decided to go with the Cutthroat 160 glue on and the Abowyer titanium adapter@35gr, with glue it should be close enough. I dont think you can go wrong with the cutthraot. I also ordered the extra unsharpend head for practice. win win.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
If you are interested in value priced heavy screw ins I invite you to take a look at the Tusker line up.

Link:  Tusker Broadheads at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
When I spoke with RMSGear at the CTAS High Country Shoot over the weekend they said their new 250 gr screw-in Cutthroat and 190 gr glue-on are in the mail to them now. Hang tight for them to sharpen them this week because the Cutthroat is the best broadhead I've ever tested. It'll shoot into 1/8" steel without damage to the head. Try that with any other broadhead (excluding VPA) and you'll be very disappointed. They're CNC machined from a single piece of high strength steel, heat treated and teflon coated. They sharpen up to scary sharp easily too.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
I killed two p&y mulies and a bull elk last year with 200 gr grizzlies, I decided to shoot wood this year and gritted my teeth and bought a dozen cutthroats, OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS, I have found my new best friends!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 02:55:00 PM »
Grizzlys are nice but my personal favorite when it comes to single bevel is ABOWYER broadheads,,, I just got some LW Abowyer whitetails from the classifieds that finish up at 247gr for me,, I think 1 1/2" wide and LW single bevel that are scalpel sharp,,,,, I'm shooting them from a 44# recurve and can't wait for September now.  

there's a guy selling RW single bevel Abowyer whitetails in the arrows classifieds here for cheap.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:00 PM »
oops dbl post
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©