3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy single bevel recommendation  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy single bevel recommendation
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »
Thanks to the original poster of this thread. I was reminded that I needed to replace a couple heads, so just talked to Cody at Abowyer and ordered more Wapiti heads.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 12:32:00 AM »
I've yet to kill anything with them yet but I'm extremely impressed with the abowyer heads. Can't wait to run one through a deer this fall.

Offline ausjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 02:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by Braveheart Archery:
[QB] If you are interested in value priced heavy screw ins I invite you to take a look at the Tusker line up.
Those Tuskers have probably killed more game in Australia than any other broadhead.. they're good to go!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 03:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie3:
Abowyer 250 looks good. I would prefer not fooling with adapters. I will buy in August to give me a few weeks before Oct 1 opening day here, so hopefully the cutthroat is out by then.

I will say $45 for 6 grizzlies sounds better than $60 for 3 abowyer stainless. I suppose I won't lose any of them unless I make a really bad shot (possible haha)...if paying 2-3 times more guarantees they will not break I say it's worth it...what do y'all think? I had a grizzly Kodiak 200 bend a little after shooting a rock. The grizzly 185 is thicker steel therefore stronger. I know any of these heads will be very effective on deer, but I am willing to shell out a few extra $$ if the head will legitimately last longer and remain undamaged after heavy bone/rock impacts.
First off, I think Abowyer is a great company that makes great broadheads and have great customer service. That being said they make several styles in various materials, thickness, hardness, and dimensions. To that I say choose wisely and match the head to your needs. I really like screw in heads so I tried the 250 Grain Abowyer Brown Bears Carbon Steel. Precision manufactured, wicked sharp, but to me too soft and prone to tip curl with the overall dimensions & thickness. I could not accept the tip curl on simple double lung pass thrus or worse on heavier bone. Stainless would be harder but more brittle. Abowyer was great to work with and they recommended the "Boneheads" for a more robust solution. Again precision manufactured, wicked sharp, and now robust even on double lung pass thrus that exit the ridge bone of the lower scapula on large bucks... :-) To me, I feel the biggest reason to go heavy single bevel is for increased penetration in bone. If the broadhead tip curls, breaks, degrades, etc. in those conditions then the benefits quickly drop off... The Boneheads do not quite have the longer dimensions I prefer in 3:1 heads BUT they are robust and flat out get the job done!!!:-) I believe they performed flawlessly on a large whitetail with heavy bone on exit.... Happy to answer specifics or show pics of tip curl via PM if it helps. Abowyer is GREAT, just choose wisely for your needs. I'm sure they'd be happy to discuss. And of course the admonition to consider/select wisely applies to all manufacturers not just Abowyer. I just had specific experience with some mentioned in this thread. Humbly submitted... KAZ

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
I shoot 225 but also use the Abowyer Bonehead with a 75gr. titanium insert.

Cant say enough about this head..

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
300g tuffheads!!!
exit side-treestand shot 7yrds----

oh and Joe is top notch to deal with!!

Mike

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
Abowyer 250 looks good. I would prefer not fooling with adapters. I will buy in August to give me a few weeks before Oct 1 opening day here, so hopefully the cutthroat is out by then.

I will say $45 for 6 grizzlies sounds better than $60 for 3 abowyer stainless. I suppose I won't lose any of them unless I make a really bad shot (possible haha)...if paying 2-3 times more guarantees they will not break I say it's worth it...what do y'all think? I had a grizzly Kodiak 200 bend a little after shooting a rock. The grizzly 185 is thicker steel therefore stronger. I know any of these heads will be very effective on deer, but I am willing to shell out a few extra $$ if the head will legitimately last longer and remain undamaged after heavy bone/rock impacts.
If you break/bend a cutthroat they will replace it, not sure about shipping as i just drive over to the shop, i shot mine into gravelly sandy river bottom and just resharpened them and shot somewhat better the next time. I never paid that much before for heads, I'm notoriously cheap! But after sharpening them up easier than any other head i ever used i started realizing just how worth the price they were. And they are tailor madefor a kKME sharpener, no worrying about how you place them into the clamp, just put them in until the ferrule is up against the clamp. Very repeatable placement and thus angle retention.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:00 PM »
Oh i forgot to mention, the 250gr are likely to go fast so i wouldn't wait till August, that's when everybody locally is gearing up hard for elk season here
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
The 250 grain screw in is now showing on the website. I guess the 190 grain glue won't be far behind.

Offline Charlie3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »
Yes, just saw the 250 grain head is up on RMS site. I wonder if it is longer than the 200...there is just one photo. I think I'm leaning that way. I've used Grizzlies to kill some game and they've worked just great, but I like the idea of not fooling with adapters and glue. I'll post if I pull the trigger and tell y'all what I think about em.

Offline DiamondD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Another vote here for the Helix.  I am really liking these heads.
Dean Daniel

Snoopin' & Shootin'

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »
Yes, just saw the 250 grain head is up on RMS site. I wonder if it is longer than the 200...there is just one photo. I think I'm leaning that way. I've used Grizzlies to kill some game and they've worked just great, but I like the idea of not fooling with adapters and glue. I'll post if I pull the trigger and tell y'all what I think about em.
I believe they are the same dimensions as the 200gr screw-ins but don't have the milled out areas but don't quote me on that. The penetration results so far on the 200gr heads has been phenomenal and the 250 should be even n better!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
The new 250 grain screw-in is the same width as the 200 gr screw-in but is 1/4" longer to gain the 50 grains. The 250 gr screw-in is 2-1/4" long. I like the longer profile better for penetration through bone.

The 190 gr. glue-on is the same profile (1-1/8" wide x 2-3/8" long) as the 160 gr. glue-on but is slightly thicker steel with shallower cut-outs to gain the 30 gr.

Do a search for "Cutthroat Broadheads First Look" on page 4 are photos of all 4 broadheads for comparisons.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
I just want to mention, that not all single bevel broad heads are created equal and I don't mean in the stability / durability sense. I went to a single bevel grizzly because of what Dr Ashby called and forgive if I get this wrong but I thing he called it mechanical action or MA. So if your shooting a single bevel because of the unique bone splitting MA that a single bevel can offer I think you need to consider a few things. In my opinion I think that the width to length ratio combined with the width of  bevel itself is very important in getting the most MA out of your s/b broadhead. The Grizzly broadhead is a very good start and I would use that an example or standard to judge other single bevel broad heads. For me, Grizzly broadhead is very hard to beat for the price and is a very durable broadhead.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=142335
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©